Calves

What are some exercises for the calves? I pretty much have chicken legs. I have been doing calf raises and squats, but it isn’t working much. Any suggestions?

Some people’s calves don’t have great potential for hypertrophy.
A lot of peoples respond well to high reps (20+)
Also consider that standing and seated calf raises attack different primary muscles.
Maybe some donkey calf raises?

That being said, relative to performance they aren’t a big deal. They are there to transfer energy from other muscles, not to create it. EMG analysis shows that calves contribute like 6% of energy to jumping, the shoulders/arms contribute something like 12%.

Squat and deadlift heavy and you’ll get bigger legs… :wink:

I should start selling this stuff as “Secret Soviet Strength Secrets”.

And in todays fitness/training industry you could probably sell plenty.

Have you read and Zatsiorsky KC?
One of the major Russian sports scientists (maybe Zatsiorsky?) has a website with lots of very very deep articles. Although I must have deleted the bookmark. Unfortunately most of the works still needed to be translated from Russian to English.

calves seems like one of those things that you either have or dont. this kid on my team has ridiculously huge calves, doesnt work out, slowest kid in the world, and has about a 1 inch vertical

Fat.

And in todays fitness/training industry you could probably sell plenty.

Have you read and Zatsiorsky KC?
One of the major Russian sports scientists (maybe Zatsiorsky?) has a website with lots of very very deep articles. Although I must have deleted the bookmark. Unfortunately most of the works still needed to be translated from Russian to English.[/quote]
Most of the stuff I have read has been quoted by Ross Enamait. Zatiorsky and Verkhoshansky (sp?) are the two prime examples that I’ve seen for the “Soviet” methods or style. Some of it is really scientific and beyond my scope, so it’s nice to get the commentary by Ross and others to make heads or talls of it. At some point I’d like to get some books by both authors, also some of Mel Siff’s stuff as well. Just dont have the money or time at the moment.

how much do calves help your pitching kc?

They are part of the chain, so I definitely feel that the calves have an impact on overall performance. However, I’m not qualified to say what percentage of power comes from the calves, quads, hamstrings, etc.

I have been taught 2 alternate calve raises. To help reach all the muscles in the calves

1. Put your heels together and point your toes outward and do a sets of 15-20. Your feet should almost for a "V"
    2 The other one is just the opposite, put you toes together with your heels facing out and do sets of 15-20

One legged jump rope or the one legged dot drill. Those kill my calves. First time i’ve done it along with a 20 minute run and they are still a little sore a week later…