Calling your pitches

Being a successful pitcher incorporates many physical and mental tools for success. Mechanical accuracy and speed is important for 70% of the work, but also the right calls may account for 30% of your success in 13U and above. How do you get the mental wisdom of calling a FS or CU if its the catcher is dictating all the calls. ? Is this something a pitchers needs to learn?

You need game time and trial and error, everyone doesn’t pitch the same and your out pitch might not work for someone else. Maybe you are better setting hitters up with change ups and curveballs and finish them with the FB or the other way. What works for you is how you feel in that situation, never second guess your gut just throw it and have confidence in it. Of course this assumes you can control your pitches in, out, up, down, fast and slow…keep the hitter off balance and guessing.

How does the catcher know what I feel?

Do the runs you give up get credited to you or the catcher on the stat line?

Call your own game.

make sure you’re on the same page with the catcher and coach before you go to the mound. what they call sould not be a surprise and if something isn’t working that day tell them. don’t sit and complain.

It’s all about communication with you and your Catcher and Coaches and working on that stuff in practise as well as in games.

I have seen some programs around here that the Coach calls everything from the bench and makes the kids look great but when you talk to the kid he has no idea why he threw that particular pitch in that situation.

Make sure you talk and understand what is going on between your thought process and your catcher and your Coaches.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]
Coach calls everything … but when you talk to the kid he has no idea why he threw that particular pitch in that situation.

Make sure you talk and understand what is going on between your thought process and your catcher and your Coaches.[/quote]

Talk in between innings? is best? if the coach is not busy. Do you ever see kids discussing it the coach ?

Ya in-between innings in-between at bats whenever you have the chance talk obviously it makes sense to talk and figure out a game plan before the game but if something doesn’t make sense ask.

I see kids all the time talking to Coaches even if its a quick word as your coming off the field you might not get a long response during the game but thats when you talk after the game to get mote dialogue going and during practise even talk to him while your warming up in the pen.

Communication is key. Watch a College game or College Summer league game a milb or MLB game and you’ll see the pitcher and coaches talking during games.

By what we talk about pre game and eventually what I am shaking off. Pre game I will tell my catcher what I want to get guys out on, what approach I am trying to go for, then I allow him to guide the game but the ultimate descision is mine…shake it off and get the pitch I want.

The reality is, the chances that as a pitcher you’ll ever be in complete control of what you throw is zero. But there’s a reason. It really doesn’t matter if the catcher knows what you’re going to throw if there aren’t any runners on, because if it goes to the backstop, there’s no harm, unless its strike 3 or ball 4. But speaking as an ex-catcher, I can tell you that the last thing you want to do is make your catcher look bad.

What goes on between a P and a C is a lot more than one guy calling a pitch and the other one throwing it. Forget that in the game today more coaches call pitches than not, that pitch has to be known by the P and the C. The C has to prepare for how the pitch will “act”, and the P has to try to throw the ball how and where its believed is the best place to achieve the desired result. IOW, its much more of a symbiotic relationship than one where someone is the big hooha and the other one just does what he’s told.

Every pitcher has to learn to develop trust between he and the catcher.

I totally agree with this. There have been way too many games where I’ve been on the totally wrong page with my catcher, and the game suffered because of it. Make sure you know what you can throw, and that your catcher knows too. (just make sure the other team doesn’t know)