Call IT -II

What are the three events during a game that will not allow a run to score?

I actually was called in to review an offical score book to a game we had. It seemed that our scorekeeper had one less run for the other club than the offical scorebook all because of this rule. I was sitting next to the club’s scorekeeper and just happen to say …" that’s not a run because …"
However, the scoreboard said differently.

The UIC acknowledged our reaction, but the scoreboard stayed the way it was. It was only after reviewing the play, when the game ended, that the offical score was in our favor. We won by one run.

KNOW THE RULES!

Coach B.

Alright Coach B.

1. The runner touches home but the third out is made before the batter reaches firstbase.

2. The runner touches home but the third out is made on a runner being forced out.

and

1. The runner touches home but the third out is made by a runner in front of him that forgot to touch a base.

This can get really creepy if your scoring runner is on third and the play just happens to end in an appeal to first. Your scoring runner could be in the dugout putting on his catchers gear and if the third out is the idiot who missed first…then NO RUNS SCORE! :think:

Dino has done it again!

Each one of these situations is worth studying and study to the point where you know them cold … repeat them in your sleep, go to the field by yourself and visualize each situation, BE the runner on third and imagine a runner being forced out on third or second, imagine a fielding play where the batter doesn’t reach first.

You’d be AMAZED at the lack of knowledge that volunteer coaches and their assigned scorekeepers have (don’t) about the rules of our game.

In my case, there were two outs, the ball was a skipping grounder that caught our short stop deep - which he had to charge the ball, which he fumbled with it for a split second, then tossed to first to make the thrid out. The batter runner gave up half way to first for some reason. However, the runner on third had a huge lead and made it to home - no sweat. The other team started to jump up and down thinking they just jumped ahead by one run.

I will admit, with the ORB, H.S. Federation, LL Inc., Legion, and an assortment of all kinds of local “add on’s”, it can get kind of confusing at times.

Her’s another rule that can be confusing:
Can a pitcher BALK with no runner’s on? Don’t jump to an answer on this one - it can be tricky. Here’s the situation that one of my rookies did.
A pitcher prefers the set position as to the windup , no runners on, the pitcher has a short conference on the mound with the catcher, the catcher returns to his place, but the pitcher is concentrating so hard on the conversation with his catcher that he stays put - about one full foot in front of the rubber, the UIC says play , takes his set position, then delivers. With no runners on, I guess the BALK rule has no penality here?
Or Does it? If you were the club at bat, what would you expect?

(I know Dino knows … how about some of you future prospects giving this one a shot …)

Coach B.

This, I believe I know the answer to.

This is a Balk. This is one ball awarded to the batter. I was thinking that if the batter swung the bat, then the hitting team can take the best of both worlds. Meaning if the batter swung and hit a homer, then it counts as a homer and not just one ball on the batter. But, I’m leaning towards this almost being a dead ball situation, and one ball is awarded. What is it coach B, I’m dyin’ over here![/quote]

No, it’s not a balk and it’s not a ball, right?? For instance, if a pitcher starts his windup with no one on base and stops because he’s unbalanced, and starts over. It’s not called anything.

But this is a toughy!

I think that you are right in your situation Steven.

However, with Coach B’s, the pitcher was trying to throw a pitch not connected to the rubber at all, a full foot in front of it. It’s gotta be a ball to the hitter!

You’re right … I didn’t read thoroughly enough. I’m with Hammer on this: Ball.

Where’s Coach B at! We need this answer.

I see where you’re coming from with your situation though. You’re spot on there.

A Ball called on the batter is correct.

I had a very young rookie (21) who was one of the most nervous guys I had ever seen while coaching. HE wanted everything to just perfect and during that first year he drove me nuts! The poor guy would be up all hours of the night worrying about his job, his being traded, being released… the stuff never ended. The day before that game, he called our starting catcher’ motel room at 2am in the moring becasue he wasn’t sure of the signals when we had runners on. Our catcher, who was a light sleeper and couldn’t get back to sleep, nearly killed the kid.

However, let’s bring a bit of reality into the picture here … on public playgrounds and parks, a lot of your pitcher mounds have huge holes in front of the rubber and it’s alomost impossible to have one or even both feet in contact with the rubber directly. Sometimes, a space will appear and that’s just part of the poor condition of the field. So, unless your really far off the rubber, I wouldn’t worry about this rule too much.

Coach B.

WoooooHoooooo! Gotcha Mr. Ellis!

:clap:

All in good fun.

Give us another one Coach B!

I’m replacing our third base coach who took ill during a game and I’m not instep with the role at all. But, we’re getting hammered so we’re going through pitchers like a box of Ike-n-Mike, so “who needs me”, I’m told … so …“get out there!”.

I’m in the coach’s box when our only player to make it to third all night rounds the bag and makes a big sweeping run way out of the direct baseline towards home when a cutoff man (2nd baseman) catches a throw from the right fielder and aggressively starts looking at our man going home, then walks casually towards the infield, looking at his pitcher. In the meantime, my base runner gets tied up with his feet and trips, I instinctively react, go over and help him up, then it dawns on me to let go. My guy makes it safely back to third standing up in plenty of time. The other team declares to the third base umpire that our guy should be out because I interfered ! Are they right?

HINT: an aggressive “look” is not considered a play.

Coach B.

I would say safe because you didn’t change the result of the play

I agree.

You’re right, he was safe. MY actions were in no way altering a play that was being made on the base runner, nor was it interfering (obstructing) with the defense.

Coach B.

Rule 3-2-2: “No coach shall physically assist a runner during playing action.” The penalty is the runner is out. There is no statement about a play being made.

The volume of rules out there for play are scribed for the level, local taste of things, and many governing body’s imprint of “their” take.

MLB rules was the situation applicable to my post.

I’ve never really looked at or studied, to any extent, High School Federation rules or similar jurisdictions — perhaps that’s where your rule application and quote is coming from.

Coach B.

MLB Rule 7.09 (h): "In the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE: The runner is out and the ball is dead."

So, the actual rule states that it is the umpire’s decision on whether the act of touching the runner “…physically assists him in returning…” so if your act assisted him in returning, then he is out. It does not state anything about a play being made.

The key to understanding my posting here is this:

Helping the runner up with no apparent play anywhere on the field even remotely close to the runner was not physically assists him in returning to third base … assisting him to return to third… or infringing on the rule that you stated. Perhaps another umpire would have thought differently.

The last statement that you posted " it is the umpire’s decision on whether the act of touching the runner … is the hinge to the example.

Good point in your referencing though.

Coach B.