Cage hitter vs Game hitter

I am sure more than one person here has seen that. The kid gets into the cage and murders every ball. Then gets into the game and doesn’t get it past the pitcher because he doesn’t swing all the way through. They are so afraid of striking out that once the bat hits the ball they stop their bat.

Is there any ideas to get them to get rid of the mindset just because they feel the ball hit the bat to keep swing through it?

I hit the ball like crap in the cage, off real pitchers I hit 350 or 400, just the opposite for me!

[quote=“bruno6u”]I am sure more than one person here has seen that. The kid gets into the cage and murders every ball. Then gets into the game and doesn’t get it past the pitcher because he doesn’t swing all the way through. They are so afraid of striking out that once the bat hits the ball they stop their bat.

Is there any ideas to get them to get rid of the mindset just because they feel the ball hit the bat to keep swing through it?[/quote]

I know exactly what you are talking about. Many people go through this at one time or another in their hitting careers.

I understand that this tip is easier said than done but it works. Hitting in large part is mental. You have to put fear aside. You must go up to bat confident and ready to attack the ball. Most of the time striking out is caused by swinging at bad pitches. Minimize swinging at bad pitches and attack the ball.

same here buwhite…i just dont hit it that far

i hit really bad in cages but i just shape the ball differently in a live game

Its all about exposure and reps in front of kid pitchers. I’ve coached thru 2 years of 9yr old kid pitch and they do great in the cages and even when coaches are throwing bp, but put them in front of kid pitchers and they are backing out and swinging on their heels. Some will get comfortable quicker than others. When you are working pitchers make sure you have batters standing in the box with bat working on loading and calling balls and strikes without swinging the bat.

I know what this is like there are players on my team that crush the ball in practice they have plenty of pop in their bats and they rarely swing and miss. Then by the end of the year their average in game is around .200 and their obp is around .300 tops because they just aren’t mentally competent enough to hit well in games.

Then there are players like me who are so-so in the cage but have a .400+ avg. and an obp over .550 because regardless of their cage work they are mentally tough and stay disciplined no matter what.