Bushnell Radar gun Accuracy?

As long as you use the same gun, the same way whenever you use it, and as long as its readings are consistent, what difference does it make how accurate it is.

As long as you use the same gun, the same way whenever you use it, and as long as its readings are consistent, what difference does it make how accurate it is.[/quote]

I’m not convinced that the gun is consistent.

Well for me it was. I would say that 60% of the readings were in an normal range.

It got weird numbers or no readings about 40% of the time.

I’m happy with it for the price quality.

If it was a $500 gun doing the same thing, I’d be quite ticked.

Hi all,
I have seen many erratic readings - never on the high side - usually ridiculously low or no reading at all. This is indoors at a facility or in my basement. The Jugs is used at the facility and the Bushness in my basement.

Does anyone have any ideas? How much does being the pitch off line with the gun impact the reading? What about the distance from the thrower? What about interference from fluourescent lighting?

Thanks,

Ed

You should google the Cosine Effect and read up on it.

My experience has been that the Bushnell was consistently 5 mph slower than my Jugs. I stood next to a guy for several games and he was consistently 5 mph slower.

As far as the Pocket Radar, I saw people with them at around 5 or 6 Perfect Game games this summer. The thing about them, is that you have to push a button to activate it on every pitch. The radar is only activated for a very short period of time. If you don’t get it right, the reading can be way off. However, if you do get it right, they are very accurate. It’s not very hard to get a feel for when to push the button and once you do, it’s easy to be consistent with it. Watching guys who had the feel, the readings were exactly the same as the Stalker guns all the scouts used. I don’t mean sometimes they were the same, I mean every reading was the same. I think the pocket radar is worth the money. Play with it until you get the timing right and once you do, you will be pleased.

Just to add to the conversation, Jugs vs Stalker. I have seen very little difference between the two. Once in a while the Jugs will show a higher velocity and once in a while the Stalker will show a higher velocity. Never more than 1 or 2 mph. In fact, if anything, the Stalker gave a higher reading more often than the Jugs. Overall, they are both very consistently giving the same readings.

Nice first-hand experience. 8)

Kyle:

Go buy a Stalker gun and bring it to the facility next time. Your next lesson’s on me if you leave it at the facility for us to use :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to buy the $500 one…I do not think I can swing it yet.

Hi all,
Do you think the Jugs needs calibration or maintenance? At times there are no readings at all or very low readings like we’re picking up something other than the ball.

Is it possible there’s interference from lighting or other appliances?

I have limited distance in my basement, how much time/distance do these guns require to acquire the object whose speed is being measured?

Thanks,

Ed

Cant’ share anything new, I own one and we use it to help with the change in speed with C/up, breaking pitch when doing bull pens. It’s indeed 5-7 mph and I guess may a little more slower.

I told the kids don’t ask me what your throwing b/c I won’t tell you anyway. MY comparison was with my own son with the Bussnell and a Camp where a Stalker was used and he was 6-7 mph fast with the better gun.

I dont think you can just add 7-8 mph to the gun to get your correct mph. Just because some other guys gun is off 7-8 mph doesnt mean your gun is. Thats a bad way to estimate your velo. What if yours is only off 4 mph? You are overstating your real mph.

:smiley:

Agreed every gun is different.

Jugs is one of the better ones, I am surprised about the lack of readings/low readings at times.

The gun isn’t new… my guess is the gun needs maintenance to restore its accuracy etc.

Happy New Year,

Ed

It’s just a point of refrence in the context of the Busnell Gun. If you want specifics go buy high priced guns and test the data points. My kids speeds vary from day to day anyway and only used to measure off-speed for the most part!!!

At the end of the day I don’t give a crap what a gun is sayin if my kid and any boy on our team are keeping a team off balance and pitching to contact with success. Most upper level coaches have issues with gun readings b/c a pitcher places to much on how hard he’s throwing and not control/location. I know all these showcase deals put mph out there and it is indeed important when your thinking about offering $ to a prospective athlete. Living in the city in which Bruce Chen is pitching kind of puts things in prospective.

That’s what I’m mainly using it for.

I just wanted to see a rough estimate of my true mph. Even if it was really slower or faster.

i mostly want to see growth in my velocity with my gun’s readings and hopefully I will gain speed on true guns.

I also want to use it for my off-speed stuff. and also for my two seam ball as I continue to work on that.

[quote=Most upper level coaches have issues with gun readings b/c a pitcher places to much on how hard he’s throwing and not control/location.[/quote]

I would disagree. Most upper level coaches place the highest emphasis on velocity and not control/location…

[quote=“Rolan Nyan”]

I would disagree. Most upper level coaches place the highest emphasis on velocity and not control/location…[/quote]

please continue to read on “Quote 2Lefties” I know all these showcase deals put mph out there and it is indeed important when your thinking about offering $ to a prospective athlete"

They do look for speed and then spin on the ball but you show me a 17-18 year old that throws 88-90+ with no movement and no control and pair him up with a 85-90 kid that has control, locates his fastball and 1 or 2 more pitches ask the upper level coach what kids he’s going to offer $ to attend his school. Again, it does vary with how a kid may project out in physical growth, maturity and mech.

Didn’t intend to hi-jack thread and go off in a tangent but…

[quote=“2Lefties”][quote=“Rolan Nyan”]

I would disagree. Most upper level coaches place the highest emphasis on velocity and not control/location…[/quote]

please continue to read on “Quote 2Lefties” I know all these showcase deals put mph out there and it is indeed important when your thinking about offering $ to a prospective athlete"

They do look for speed and then spin on the ball but you show me a 17-18 year old that throws 88-90+ with no movement and no control and pair him up with a 85-90 kid that has control, locates his fastball and 1 or 2 more pitches ask the upper level coach what kids he’s going to offer $ to attend his school. Again, it does vary with how a kid may project out in physical growth, maturity and mech.

Didn’t intend to hi-jack thread and go off in a tangent but…[/quote]

let me change the parameters as you have a 90 and a 90+ pitcher. Here goes:

1- 18 year old, consistently hits 90, below avg movement, below avg control.

2- 18 year old, consistently hits 85, excellent movement, excellent control, and 1 or 2 more pitches

I would bet that most every upper level coach would take kid #1 everytime and twice on sunday. Now, that doesnt mean I agree with it. But that seems to be the way it is. It goes back to the old saying:

“I can coach control, but I cant coach 90 mph”.

I was talking to a dad of an Arkansas pitcher last year at a camp. His son was helping with the camp and the Arkansas pitching coach made a comment that he likes control and doesn’t care about velocity. The dad turned to me and whispered, that’s funny because when his son was throwing 86-88 they weren’t interested, but as soon as he started hitting 92 he was offered 60% scholarship.

FYI, there have bee a lot of guns listed on Ebay in the last few weeks. I was able to pick up a Jugs gun for under $300. It took a lot of bidding on various guns, but there has definitely been an increase in the number of listings the last few weeks.