Bullpens - How Often?

I have been coaching high school baseball for the last 12 years and the most difficult thing for me to get a handle on is how often I should throw bullpens once the season starts and how many days rest should I give my athletes between each outing and bullpen. I realize that all pitchers are created differently, some can bounce right back and others take a little time. Where my dilemma comes in is this. Here is a fictitious scenario: My pitcher throws 50 pitches on Wednesday in a scrimmage, he is slated to start the following Wednesday. When should I pen him next and how many pitches should he go. My gut would tell me to pen him on Saturday with a 45-55 pitch pen gving him three full days rest before his start on Wednesday. Does anyone have any suggestions or a general rule of thumb.

I’d suggest a light pen on Saturday and a light pen on Monday. Just one pen after a 50 pitch outing with three days rest before pitching again is likely to result in a lack of command.

Like you said though it really depends on how the pitcher bounces back and what he needs to stay sharp. Tough to accomodate all your pitchers in HS.

I agree with CADad - lighter pens more often is preferrable to longer pens less often.

In agreeance with CADad and Roger on this. At Indiana State the starters throw 2 light bullpens in between their starts. Here is my typical scenario.

Saturday - Start (80-110 pitches)
Sunday - Rest/30-40min run/med ball abs/rotator cuff strengthing
Monday - Long Toss/long sprints
Tuesday - Light throwing/weights/mild flat ground bullpen to get the touch and feel of pitches/medium sprint work
Wednesday - Really light throwing/short sprint work/abs
Thursday - 15-25 pitch bullpen (to get touch and feel) at 75-85%
Friday - Throw to get the arm loose/pre-game running (30yd sprints)
Saturday - Game Day

I know you just asked about bullpens, but I figured I would post what the starters typically do here maybe I can provide a little more help.

Hope this helps
Ryan

[quote=“RTusk40”]In agreeance with CADad and Roger on this. At Indiana State the starters throw 2 light bullpens in between their starts. Here is my typical scenario.

Saturday - Start (80-110 pitches)
Sunday - Rest/30-40min run/med ball abs/rotator cuff strengthing
Monday - Long Toss/long sprints
Tuesday - Light throwing/weights/mild flat ground bullpen to get the touch and feel of pitches/medium sprint work
Wednesday - Really light throwing/short sprint work/abs
Thursday - 15-25 pitch bullpen (to get touch and feel) at 75-85%
Friday - Throw to get the arm loose/pre-game running (30yd sprints)
Saturday - Game Day

I know you just asked about bullpens, but I figured I would post what the starters typically do here maybe I can provide a little more help.

Hope this helps
Ryan[/quote]This looks very very accurate.

Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.