Bullpen Video

Tell me what you think…
What I can work on. Always open for mechanical suggestions.
Been recruited by a few NAIA’s and junior colleges. Gotta make my choice soon.

work on your posture, your falling off the mound and look unbalanced the whole time, once you fill out with some weight you’ll throw harder.

if you look at a still of 3:35 of your video it is very telling.

During your stride your upper body leans way back and your stride leg bends back to mirror your upper body. By doing this you are making your stride really short stopping momentum to the plate

How can I prevent that?

I was blessed with a father that understood how to take the pressure out of making seemingly difficult decisions. He would have said something like this, “You can have a steak, chicken or even a baloney sandwich. They all can taste great or they can taste really bad depending on how hungry you are and/or how they are prepared.” He never gave explanations for his analogies. Alot of times I would just walk away with a screwed up look on my face and he’d laugh. Then he was gone and it suddenly all started making sense.

My interpretation: The decision isn’t near as important as your attitude. Good luck wherever you land. I believe your first priority is to enjoy the game, try to keep it from becoming a job.

One thing to start with would be the Hersheiser drill, check it out on you tube. Its a really good drill to get your front hip moving to the plate while staying back with your upper torso.

Secondly, put a line down the mound to indicate a straight stride toward the plate. It seems like you are opening way up.

Third, concentrate on your posture throughout your stride. Your posture should be slightly tilted forward into a more athletic position.

I was blessed with a father that understood how to take the pressure out of making seemingly difficult decisions. He would have said something like this, “You can have a steak, chicken or even a baloney sandwich. They all can taste great or they can taste really bad depending on how hungry you are and/or how they are prepared.” He never gave explanations for his analogies. Alot of times I would just walk away with a screwed up look on my face and he’d laugh. Then he was gone and it suddenly all started making sense.

My interpretation: The decision isn’t near as important as your attitude. Good luck wherever you land. I believe your first priority is to enjoy the game, try to keep it from becoming a job.[/quote]

Not sure if I’m in the wrong for taking this at a jab at my attitude as being bad, or maybe I’m reading too much into it. Can you elaborate?

[quote=“Turn 22”]One thing to start with would be the Hersheiser drill, check it out on you tube. Its a really good drill to get your front hip moving to the plate while staying back with your upper torso.

Secondly, put a line down the mound to indicate a straight stride toward the plate. It seems like you are opening way up.

Third, concentrate on your posture throughout your stride. Your posture should be slightly tilted forward into a more athletic position.[/quote]

I’ll def check those out. Thank you. I’ve been working on not trying to open up as much, but my shoulders seem to fly open no matter what I do. I think it might because I don’t have the greatest arm strength, so I try to compensate it with opening up and letting the shoulder fly, which probably isn’t a good thing for my arm or body.

I hope you’ll believe me when I say it certainly isn’t a jab at your attitude. Maybe it was me that read too much into it. I was just reacting to your comment that you need to make a decision soon.

When I look back at my own son’s decision, I believe he might have over analyzed the whole thing, thinking that there was a right and a wrong decision and trying to avoid the wrong one.

Upon reflecting on it, I now feel that it wasn’t so much finding the school that was the right fit, rather more like fitting into a school, any school or baseball program whatever place that turned out to be. Not that some players don’t get convinced they are making the one and only best choice. It’s just I don’t think it’s necessary to come to that point in your decision process. It’s more about you than the school.

This may seem like alot of talking in circles and for that I apologize. After all this is a mechanics thread and I’m talking about something totally different.

I typically stay away from mechanics for a variety of reasons, one of which is I don’t feel qualified to suggest fixes for deficiencies even though I think I can identify them. Another is because I place a higher regard for the process of getting outs, no matter what your mechanics look like. And we can’t very well see one video that tells that story.

So I guess what I’d like to end with is that, I really do try to offer advice when I feel I have something to contribute. Sometimes I miss the mark by the side of the barn. Every once in awhile, I hope I can help out. If not, at least know I tried and certainly didn’t mean any offense.

I hope you’ll believe me when I say it certainly isn’t a jab at your attitude. Maybe it was me that read too much into it. I was just reacting to your comment that you need to make a decision soon.

When I look back at my own son’s decision, I believe he might have over analyzed the whole thing, thinking that there was a right and a wrong decision and trying to avoid the wrong one.

Upon reflecting on it, I now feel that it wasn’t so much finding the school that was the right fit, rather more like fitting into a school, any school or baseball program whatever place that turned out to be. Not that some players don’t get convinced they are making the one and only best choice. It’s just I don’t think it’s necessary to come to that point in your decision process. It’s more about you than the school.

This may seem like alot of talking in circles and for that I apologize. After all this is a mechanics thread and I’m talking about something totally different.

I typically stay away from mechanics for a variety of reasons, one of which is I don’t feel qualified to suggest fixes for deficiencies even though I think I can identify them. Another is because I place a higher regard for the process of getting outs, no matter what your mechanics look like. And we can’t very well see one video that tells that story.

So I guess what I’d like to end with is that, I really do try to offer advice when I feel I have something to contribute. Sometimes I miss the mark by the side of the barn. Every once in awhile, I hope I can help out. If not, at least know I tried and certainly didn’t mean any offense.[/quote]

I totally understand where you are coming from now. I need to make the decision on my time, when I’m ready, more so than feeling that I need to make a decision soon just because… Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Here’s some vid of John B. gettin’ it done against a tough travel ball team (mostly college-aged guys) at a recent tourney in San Leandro, CA:

Flippin…those are some really nice vids. A backstop view would be nice.

There is alot of head, shoulder and torso tilt. And you are delivering the ball over the top and seemingly using your glove hand as an anchor to throw around. And you fall off toward first base to finish the pitch and compensate for leaving yourself in a weak position to achieve velocity. Really, if you have been throwing this way for a long time, then your whole approach to getting outs will have been developed around your mechanics.

If you want to get more velocity it seems that the head, shoulder and torso tilt is keeping you from incorporating hip and shoulder separation as well as a longer stride and an efficient transfer of energy from your lower body. Fixing it in the bullpen is one thing…getting your body to erase the muscle memory at this point during a game is another. My son was largely successful until he got in game situations. You just shouldn’t be thinking about mechanics while you are pitching a game.

I’m interested to see what others would advise you at this point. Good luck.

Here’s a backstop view of J.B. from a year ago:

He pitched a very good game against San Bruno American Legion (19U) on Saturday, so I’ll post some of that when I get a chance.

Wow…good deal.

I would think you are able to pitch a game in the low 80’s which is average for H.S seniors in my neck of the woods. Above average is anything 85-87. And rare air is 88+

I’m just curious, if the current mechanics have allowed you to be successful, what improvements do you think mechanical adjustments will provide? Is it just velocity related concerns or are you concerned about being prone to any type of injury or something else?

What I’m saying is…being a little unconventional can be a good thing. Right? The ball gets hidden pretty well until you get to high 3/4. Like I said, I’m interested in what others might think you could improve on and why.

[quote=“Dino”]Wow…good deal.

I would think you are able to pitch a game in the low 80’s which is average for H.S seniors in my neck of the woods. Above average is anything 85-87. And rare air is 88+

I’m just curious, if the current mechanics have allowed you to be successful, what improvements do you think mechanical adjustments will provide? Is it just velocity related concerns or are you concerned about being prone to any type of injury or something else?

What I’m saying is…being a little unconventional can be a good thing. Right? The ball gets hidden pretty well until you get to high 3/4. Like I said, I’m interested in what others might think you could improve on and why.[/quote]

Exactly, a pretty good amount of pitchers around the area are also low 80’s, which is in due part to being a baseball hot bed. I think the majority of the kids throw hard, but have no idea what to do with it. One of the qualities coaches like in myself, without self indulging is that I know how to pitch, when to throw what pitch, and can occasionally ramp it up to 83 and throw it by some guys.

The college coaches that have been recruiting me told me that velocity could be a concern, but I will be redshirting wherever I go, so it isn’t unreasonable to add 2-3 mph with some hard work and tweaks here and there.

I think my mechanics could be hindering my velocity, and I’m sure some of you believe that also, but as you said, I’ve learned how to pitch with these mechanics, and I am crafty with them. I hide the ball, and my off speed is above average at the collegiate level according to some coaches that have watched me pitch.

I am a bit worried about my mechanics as being an injury concern as well, my arm never hurts when pitching, and my shoulder has only been injured as a result of over use, but I never pitch while sore. I feel that my mechanics could be refined and I could add velocity and keep my body in a better shape for the future.

In short, the collegiate coaches said that they would like my fastball in the 84+ range, which isn’t to far away, but I don’t know if it would be the end of the world if I became a back end bullpen guy at the collegiate level(D2,D3,NAIA, JUCO level) using just an 82-84 mph fastball with command and 2 above average off speed pitches. It’s to early to tell, but we will see.