Bullpen frequency vs amount of throws

I’m kind of a beginner pitcher, I’ve started about 1 year ago. Is it better to do 20-30 full effort throws every day/other day or 100 pitches every 4-5 days? My main goal is to increase velocity, I’m in low 70’s right now.

I’d rather have my guys on the mound more often.

I’ve heard stories about pitchers in the bullpen who got up inning after inning, threw a number of pitches and sat down only to get the call to get up the next inning and throw some more—with the result that in three innings they pitched what amounted to a full game, and then they got called into the game and had nothing left. Urp. And then there was the time during the fifth game of the 1956 World Series when Whitey Ford got up in the bullpen, threw maybe ten pitches and then sat down again because he knew he wouldn’t be needed, Larsen had everything under control. (And then some.) The whole point is, you need to base your throwing in the bullpen during the game depending on how your team is doing, how your starting pitcher is doing…and how your arm feels. Some relief pitchers need more warmup time, others can throw seven or eight pitches and are ready to do. It’s an individual matter. 8)

Hmm I guess listen to your arm is what you’re saying? I know for me personally I need at least 20 pitches to be at top speed :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s right. Listen to your arm. And when you’re warming up, throw all your pitches so you can determine how they’re working. There will be times when one or another of them will be misbehaving, and in that case the best thing you can do is leave it alone and go to your other stuff, especially if you’re coming into the game in relief.
The Cincinnati Reds once had a pitcher named Jay Hook who was a study in inconsistency. He was like the little girl with the curl in the nursery rhyme—when he was good he was very, very good, but when he was bad he stank. One day he really stank—on hot ice. He was pitching against the Pirates, and they were eating him alive, turning everything he threw into line-drive extra-base hits, and before too long the manager had to take him out of the game. Hook returned to the dugout, where he sat in a corner and bemoaned the loss of his fast ball—it had up and deserted him.
Cincinnati reliever Jim Brosnan, who might have made a very good pitching coach had he been so inclined, tried to explain to him that no pitcher has all his best stuff every time out. He said, “That’s when you learn this game. You have other pitches to throw; use them when your fast ball isn’t there.” But he might as well have been talking to the wall. Hook appeared not to hear him; he just sat there and moaned, over and over and over, “Without my fast ball I can’t pitch.” So Brosnan gave up trying to talk to him. Oh yes, the Reds had a very good pitching coach, Jim Turner, but Turner never even said boo to him.
Hook didn’t last very long after that.
Be warned. Don’t fall into that trap. 8)