Building arm strength/throwing harder

What is the best way for a young pitcher to throw harder and increase arm strength. Long tossing? What are some good exercises and drills. He can locate his fastball on both sides of the plate, so I think the next step is to add some speed to it.

nooooooo!!! if u r a pitcher, don’t ever long toss. It will damage ur arm. u can toss, but not farther than 80 ft. Just continuously throw with someone, like day after day, or something like that, and you’ll get more arm strength, guaranteed.

nooooooo!!! if u r a pitcher, don’t ever long toss. It will damage ur arm. u can toss, but not farther than 80 ft. Just continuously throw with someone, like day after day, or something like that, and you’ll get more arm strength, guaranteed.[/quote]

what makes you so sure about this? where’s your proof? It’s as simple as some people strongly agree and some people disagree with long toss. Its personal perference and whatever you believe in. There is really no way to atttribute long toss to improved arm strength, which may have come by simply throwing more. Just the same as there is no real proof that Long toss hurts your arm any more than pitching. If you want a more indepth discussion then look at some passed posts on the subject. There’s some good points made in those old topics.

i think long toss is a waste of time. 4 me i almost never do it and i can throw pretty hard. I just have good mechanics and a explosive delivery and i pitch like a lot every day working on my control. long toss is not sport specific.

long toss will build shoulder strength over time if your looking for progress in a short amount of time its the wrong thing for you but if you want to strengthen your shoulder over a period of time like an offseason long toss can be very effective even if its not sport specific its just for building strength