Breaking with the elbows

i’ve been considering the notion of having the initial breaking of your hands first start off more by a pulling of the elbows apart rather than by bringing the ball back with more of a hand swooping action, for lack of a better word.

This whole elbow break thing … I think of it as being similar to when someone shoots a bow & arrow.

It looks to me like the Padres Chris Young does it like that, as does Johan Santana. Ian Kennedy looks to do it somewhat, while Phil Hughes first break is elbow all the way.

I’m wondering if you guys think this method can give you more velo and/or control … and if its a recipe for injuries?

(I tried searching the forums for this topic but couldn’t find anything. I’ve been out of the loop recently so i apologize if i’m being redundant with this subject)

From what I heard is that breaking your hands with your elbows, leads to the “Inverted L” and “Inverted W”. Which is not good, they lead to many other problems.

yes … the inverted L/W… I know a lot of people hate it … but just curious, what do the advocated of the inverted L/W say? What’s it supposed to give to you?? Power?

I read a lot of dislike on the inverted W, but rarely do I hear the upside, which is strange since at least a handful of big leaguers do it.

which ever way it feels more confortable for you to throw… it doesnt really affect anythin unless u are unconfortable doin it… i know i cant break with the elbows because it feels too stiff for me but as long as you dont get the elbow above the level of the shoulders or do inverted L your fine

and santana doesnt break with the elbows

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]yes … the inverted L/W… I know a lot of people hate it … but just curious, what do the advocated of the inverted L/W say? What’s it supposed to give to you?? Power?

I read a lot of dislike on the inverted W, but rarely do I hear the upside, which is strange since at least a handful of big leaguers do it.[/quote]

This is a shortcut that very well may give you a few extra MPH, but at the cost of significantly increasing the risk of injury.

There are safer ways of getting those extra few MPH.