Breaking in a glove

I just got my new 12.25 in rawlings gold glove, how should I break it in? its a little stiff but not bad. thanks.

Alot of people will say shaving cream, putting it under a matress with a ball in it, and alot of other stuff. But I say play catch with it. ALOT.

what kinda shaving cream? the kind with lanolin I heard, anyway I have some leather conditioner called leather lotion.

Lansinoh Brand Lanolin (100% The World’s Purest Lanolin)

You will find it in the breastfeeding isle! :smiley:

There is nothing better, it will leave your glove baby smooth.

Ok, you guys are going to:

1. laugh

2. call me an idiot

3. ignore this

but here’s a proven method:

Run enough water in your bathtub to immerse your glove in it. Hold your glove in the water for about 30 seconds. Take it out of the water and let it towel it off. Put a ball in the pocket and shape the glove the way you want it and tie it up. Put it someplace to dry completely. (Usually a day or so)
When it’s dry, untie it and oil it with your preferred glove oil. Then play catch.

[quote=“Game”]Lansinoh Brand Lanolin (100% The World’s Purest Lanolin)

You will find it in the breastfeeding isle! :smiley:

There is nothing better, it will leave your glove baby smooth.[/quote]

+1, used this on my last 2 gloves ( A2000 and A2K) after putting it on, tie it into a old pillow case and throw in the drye,r let it heat up for 20 minutes or so. Works like magic !

I am using neatsfoot oil on my Louisville Pro Flare, it disappeares like water on hot concrete though !?

[quote=“Darter Skipper”]Ok, you guys are going to:

1. laugh

2. call me an idiot

3. ignore this

but here’s a proven method:

Run enough water in your bathtub to immerse your glove in it. Hold your glove in the water for about 30 seconds. Take it out of the water and let it towel it off. Put a ball in the pocket and shape the glove the way you want it and tie it up. Put it someplace to dry completely. (Usually a day or so)
When it’s dry, untie it and oil it with your preferred glove oil. Then play catch.[/quote]

Thats a method I used years ago on a catchers mitt, it works, but never tried it on a fielders glove. Had a friend who used the same method but used motor oil instead of water !

I left my glove in the car, and it broke in. So leave it in the car on a hot day, then play catch.

the best way to it is put glove oil in it put it in the microwave for 30 seconds repeat 3 times put glove oil in it play catch and it is game ready

The way I was taught at the camp I go to in the winter. I think these guys know their stuff becuase the son of the main instructor played D1 and another kid they trained from age 6 made it to D1 got the regional player of the year his sophmore year and got drafted his junior year, I think. Well he’s playing AA ball right now he’s a starter I believe. Well they know their stuff and this is what they teach us to do.

They said that you don’t want to make your glove so its floppy. He said you want to make it so it’s still stiff because when you turn a double play you don’t want to have to keep your glove open. You also don’t want to catch it in the web you want to catch it in the palm just near the start of the web. That was you don’t have to close your glove much at all for it to stay in there.

So from what they said I break a glove in by oiling it and just playing catch with it, a lot with the palm. Then I just make sure its loose enough that I can jump up and grab a ball in my web but it’s not floppy enough so that it gets in the way with your double plays or quick hands.

EDIT: For my outfielders glove I did the same thing. Just played catch with it and used it a lot. I think it broke in good becuase it was the Trap-Eze webbing from rawlings and it seems to let it break in, in just the right spot.

Also I’m using Rawlings Gold Gloves which arne’t as stiff material as the Pro Preffered or Heart of the Hide. My cousin has a HOH and it seemed to break in pretty well. Another kid on my team that has a Pro Preffered and doesn’t use it because it’s so stiff and hard to break in. So maybe you need to do stuff like that with the good leather like Pro Preffered.

Totally agreed bower. When I got my gold glove last year I did the shaving cream thing to get it ready, and put it under the mattress. This got it more bendy in the palm, but throwing really made the difference. The web formed and traps the ball perfectly, while the glove is still firm and not floppy at all.

I love the Nokona just because of ease breaking in and it’s so nice. Maybe a little bit too deep for turning DP’s though.

I have found out recently rubbing Vaseline into the glove is a lot better than oil. It softens the glove right up and keeps it clean. It also gives it a darker shade. I have used this for my new 1st basemans mit and regular glove. I strongly suggest this.

I’m not sure if I said it but I use vasoline too.