Breakfast

Hey guys just another one of my questions…What is good to eat for breakfast in the morning?? And preferably be made in 15-20 minutes because of school issues. Thanks a lot

cereal or eggs. that’s what I usually have.

Nolan Ryan
Do not have any meats for breakfasts
Don’t have the same thing for breakfast 2 days in a row.

Me
I like to have fruit for breakfast to get the body going.
And ceral (but dont have the cerals with tons of suger)

Thanks boston that two day in a row thing is interesting i’ll defintely have to do that…how are waffles?? oatmeal??

He recommends pancakes with black coffee, but I substitute the coffee with juice.

Pancakes and waffles are high in glycemic index, so not great for breakfast. 2 eggs, a cup of spinach, and a couple servings of fruits or veggies is the optimal breakfast. Plenty of carbs for energy plus loads of fiber and vitamins.

yuppp

ya carbs are good for breakfast to get you going. Never skip breakfast, a lot of teenagers do and its not good.

kc86, what is your take on these protein drinks like Ensure and Boost? Are they any good? Should they be taken with food or alone?

Better than nothing, obviously, but I’m not familiar with the nutrional info for either. I’m guessing there is probably quite a bit of sugar to make it taste good. It might be a better idea to go with a fruit smoothie in the morning if you want something liquid and fast.

If you want pancakes, make some wholegrain pancakes… It’s not hard…

100 % Whole Wheat Flour
Egg
Milk
Canola Oil
baking soda
Baking powder

and wah la… Pancake mix/Waffle Mix

Make some eggs on the side and you’re golden… Pancakes, eggs, and if you want, a slice of bacon. on the side…

Also, where did this “do not have the same breakfast two days in a row” come from? lol…

Oatmeal’s fine… oatmeal and eggs, etc…

Just make sure you’re getting some carbs/protein/healthy fats in your system and you’re good to go…

Whether it be oatmeal and eggs… Pancakes and eggs, etc…

And also, there’s no problem with having meat at breakfast…

Generally what I do is I start off with something really light upon waking and then cook up my breakfast about an hour later…

Boost and Ensure are MRP (meal replacement) drinks… If you’re pressed for time, go ahead and have one…

What I would have you do instead is just invest some of your money into a coffee grinder, a good tasting chocolate whey protein, oats and some natural peanut butter…

Milk
1 scoop whey protein powder
1 cup crushed oats
1-2 tbsp of natural peanut butter

Bam, MRP… Quick, easy, nutritious, and it tastes good…

You can do all sorts of combinations depending on what flavors of whey protein you buy… Blueberry oat combinations, etc…

Other combinations for food ideas…

100 % whole Wheat Cinnamon French Toast
Spinach omelette or what ever kind of omelette you want to make…

This is probably unhealthy and I wouldn’t do it if your too serious but I’m 15 and want to enjoy eating good food while i can before i get old and can’t do that, except I do watch what I eat but maby once or twice a week I take an egg and whisk it up add some pepper fry it on a pan make a bagel and 2 strips of bacon and slap a piece of good ol’ American cheese on it.

Ohhh man its good…but I’d assume with soccer I’d burn it off so it wouldn’t be too big of a problem just a bit unhealthy I guess. But it’s also better than nothing considering the average American my age skips breakfast.

[quote=“Bower”]This is probably unhealthy and I wouldn’t do it if your too serious but I’m 15 and want to enjoy eating good food while i can before i get old and can’t do that, except I do watch what I eat but maby once or twice a week I take an egg and whisk it up add some pepper fry it on a pan make a bagel and 2 strips of bacon and slap a piece of good ol’ American cheese on it.

Ohhh man its good…but I’d assume with soccer I’d burn it off so it wouldn’t be too big of a problem just a bit unhealthy I guess. But it’s also better than nothing considering the average American my age skips breakfast.[/quote]

Dude, at 15… I didn’t even know anything about nutrition… Nor really pay attention to what I ate…

There’s days I would have like 2-3 cinnabons… Yes, I love Cinnabon!

But for breakfast, I used to have french toast every day of the week… I’ve had thousands upon thousands of slices of french toast during my life… Although the french toast I eat now is a lot healthier the the french toast I ate back then… I used to use white bread… Now I use organic sprouted flax bread… Each slice has 5 grams of fiber and I generally have 4-5 slices dipped in 4 eggs…

I was reading one of Berardi’s books (yeah, I know. I caved in and spent the $30 bucks to see what the hype is all about. Pretty good thus far), and he mentions that skipping a “feeding opportunity” is the same as having a junkfood meal because of the effect on your metabolism.

Sylvester Stallone was saying that he eats whatever he feels like having for breakfast, be it cake and ice cream, pizza, etc. That is his heaviest meal of the day, and the rest are extremely clean.

But, I digress. Bower, I have a solution that might actually taste better. English muffins (regular or whole wheat) are better for you than bagels (less starch). Throw in some slices of tomato and you have a decent breakfast.

I think I am going to try a spinach omelette this week. Just need to figure out how to make it.

[quote=“kc86”]I was reading one of Berardi’s books (yeah, I know. I caved in and spent the $30 bucks to see what the hype is all about. Pretty good thus far), and he mentions that skipping a “feeding opportunity” is the same as having a junkfood meal because of the effect on your metabolism.
Sylvester Stallone was saying that he eats whatever he feels like having for breakfast, be it cake and ice cream, pizza, etc. That is his heaviest meal of the day, and the rest are extremely clean.

But, I digress. Bower, I have a solution that might actually taste better. English muffins (regular or whole wheat) are better for you than bagels (less starch). Throw in some slices of tomato and you have a decent breakfast.

I think I am going to try a spinach omelette this week. Just need to figure out how to make it.[/quote]

KC, check for your store for these type of bagels…

Silver Hill Flax Organic Sprouted Bagels… Trust me, these things are really good!

[quote]Ingredients

Organic whole sprouted wheat*, organic flax seeds*, organic evaporated cane juice*, organic vital wheat gluten*, yeast, sea salt. (May contain traces of sesame seeds).

• Certified Organic

All fats in this bread are naturally occurring.

PLEASE NOTE: All nutritional information is posted in compliance with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Nutrition Info

per 80g serving (1 bagel):

Energy
210 Cal
875 kJ

Protein
12.0g
Fat
2.5g
Polyunsaturates
1.4g
Monunsaturates
0.4g
Saturates
0.3g
Cholesterol
0.0g
Carbohydrate
33g
Sugar
2g
Dietary Fiber
9g
Sodium
210mg
Potassium
160mg [/quote]

Also, what do you think of John Berardi’s approach to eating? Having your meals proportioned into Fats/Protein and Carbs/Protein with a minimum intake of fat taken with the carbs/Protein meals? It’s been awhile since I’ve read his stuff, but from what I remember, he advocated this approach to eating…

Actually, before you answer this… I need to back track a little and re-read his approach to dieting/eating…

wow thanks a lot for the help guys i’m defintely gonna try all of your suggestions.

The main thing Berardi seems to harp on is not eating starchy foods except for post-workout. The rest of the day you get your carb intake from fruits and veggies. He does throw out some sample menus, but nothing too in depth about the minute details (the book is The Grapplers Guide to Sports Nutrition, which was a colloboration between Berardi and another guy). I was surprised at how few supplements he advocates, only 5 in total.

As far as the bagel, that is amazing. Lots of protein and fiber. Sadly, my local store doesnt carry anything like that, so I’d have to go over to the organic store (more $$$). I wanted to try some quinoa and acai, so I might save up some cash and go.

[quote=“kc86”]

I think I am going to try a spinach omelette this week. Just need to figure out how to make it.[/quote]

Ohhhhh baby I love tomatoes. I also will look into english muffins. I think I have some I’ll try to get whole wheat. Whole wheat bread isn’t a problem for me. IMO if you can’t handle whole wheat bread your a B****. Yes I said it. It’s not that differnet than white and in general you have something inside it to taste anyways. I’m young so its hard to shop for myself.

Would you suggest subsitituing the bacon for tomatoes and get rid of the cheese or get low fat cheese or whatever with the eggs still on the english muffin? We grow tomatoes in our garden so I usually have access to a lot of tomatoes any time I want.

For my age most would consdier me a health nut, but for some reason I’ve never liked salad. Theres just something about it. Maby I’ll try it sometime. My mom is like the way you watch what you eat I can’t belive you don’t want to eat salad. I’m like I don’t know I really don’t like it.

You could do bacon, tomato, and egg. I’m not so sure that cheese would be beneficial for anything aside from taste. Unless you put cottage cheese on there, but I am not sure how good that would taste… If you can find those bagels that barber mentioned that would be good (or whole wheat english muffins).

As for salad, you just need to find something you like. I am not a big fan of cucumber or brocolli in my salad, so it is normally just lettuce, spinach and dressing (maybe some chicken tossed in there too). Paul Newman’s brand has a really good light honey mustard dressing. Find a dressing that you like, combine ingredients you like and you’re in business.

Honey mustard derssing sounds like it would taste pretty good on a salad. I’ll look into it and try to find some dressings I like.