Breakfast alternatives...HELP!

All…

My son is nearly done with a 12-weak nutrition / training program where he has dropped 33 pounds (yes, 33). He’s down from 253 lbs. to a very solid and muscular 220 lbs. and looks great. As his trainer said…it’s all about nutrition…man, he wasn’t kidding. My son has about had it with eggs. His breakfast each morning is 3/4 cups of oatmeal with one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of smooth peanut butter. In addition, he has either has 5-egg white scrambled eggs or 5 hard boiled eggs with the yoke removed. He loves the oatmeal and hates the eggs. Can you guys help with alternatives for the eggs? His trainer mentioned an alternative of juicing a mellon (or cateloupe) and blending the juice with two bananas. He also said that 2-3 days per week of Kashi No-Lean cereal would be o.k. in place of the eggs. Any other suggestions or recipes for the juicer?

[quote=“gettingthere”]All…

My son is nearly done with a 12-weak nutrition / training program where he has dropped 33 pounds (yes, 33). He’s down from 253 lbs. to a very solid and muscular 220 lbs. and looks great. As his trainer said…it’s all about nutrition…man, he wasn’t kidding. My son has about had it with eggs. His breakfast each morning is 3/4 cups of oatmeal with one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of smooth peanut butter. In addition, he has either has 5-egg white scrambled eggs or 5 hard boiled eggs with the yoke removed. He loves the oatmeal and hates the eggs. Can you guys help with alternatives for the eggs? His trainer mentioned an alternative of juicing a mellon (or cateloupe) and blending the juice with two bananas. He also said that 2-3 days per week of Kashi No-Lean cereal would be o.k. in place of the eggs. Any other suggestions or recipes for the juicer?[/quote]
Eggs are high in protein so I assume that you are looking for a different protein source. Try to keep him away from the fatty breakfast meats.

Each egg white has around 3.6 grams of protein, the whole egg contains 6.4 grams of protein, so if you eat 5 eggs, it is hard to substitute that much protein.

A banana has 1 g of protein in it, and in the morning I eat greens +, which also has protein and a high content of fruits and vegetables for the day. This is a good way to start off the day. If you son likes cottage cheese (I hate it), that may be the only thing to switch out with eggs.

Here is a breakdown of some items with protein in them, know that they may not be complete proteins:
PROTEIN IN GRAINS: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Oatmeal, Rye, Wheat germ, Wheat, hard red, Wild rice

VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green peas, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini

PROTEIN IN FRUITS: Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew melon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

PROTEIN IN NUTS AND SEEDS: Almonds, Cashews, Filberts, Hemp Seeds, Peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts (black)

So take that as you see fit, some of the suggestions on that list are hard to take everyday. Have him mix in the eggs, but don’t cut the eggs completely out of the diet.

Congratulations to him on losing 33 lbs though! That is great!

I try my hardest to eat just like your son. It gets tough and kind of boring with the oatmeal everyday. Try adding some blueberries for taste. The biggest thing I DIDN’T notice that you DEFINITELY need to have is Whey protein isolate. It absorbs very fast so its great for the mornings to get right to your muscles. If your concerned about calories, just put one scoop with water and its hardly any. I take 5-6 protein shakes a day and believe its worth the money in the long run. I would just stick with the oatmeal, some fruit, and a protein shake for a morning meal. Other great things to eat off the top of my head. Grapefruit, Almonds, Walnuts, Salmon, Tuna… If you really want information on what to eat http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmainnut.htm . Tons of articles, take your time and start reading them. You will learn more than anyone on here could tell you without spending hours.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the fat content in the yolks - I find that just eating the whites is what most people don’t like; personally, I like to crack 3-4 whole eggs in a frying pan, let sit for a few minutes, flip it for a minute and shake a little hot sauce on it - delicious! I eat this just about every morning. If you have more time, you could do an omelet - throw in as many veggies as you like. Regardless, I almost always use some type of hot sauce - the spicier the better for me!

I also do a lot of fruit smoothies - 1 frozen banana, 6 frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup protein powder, splash of orange juice (or zip fizz powder) and water. Blend/liquify for a minute or so and you are good to go!

Thanks, guys. We went with a five egg-white (one yolk left in), omlet this morning with musrooms. He liked it. In addition, threw 1/2 catelope and a green apple in the juicer. Seemed to do the trick! As to dinners…we’re going with fish, scallops, and chicken. However, my son’s trainer said that lean turkey would be fine, as well. Staying with salads at lunch (with 2 tablespoons of dressing) and having two rice cakes with peanut butter and a bannana during the day. Still can’t get him to force the Greek Yogurt down!

Going to go with the juice each morning…Kashi Go Lean 3 days per plus oat meal…egg omlet (or some kind of egg) four days per week with oat meal. Sound o.k.?

Actually, the only reason one would (ugh) avoid egg yolks altogether is one has to watch his cholesterol intake. I’m assuming your son doesn’t have that problem, so a couple of whole eggs maybe twice a week won’t hurt. I like to scramble one egg with onion slices and a cut-up tomato, cook it in a bit of olive oil which is a good fat, being monounsaturated, and pop the whole thing on a toasted whole-wheat English muffin. Yummy. 8)

Zita…your making me hungry!!!

countering Zita…

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/whats-worse-eggs-or-mens-figure-skating

Lanky…you have a PM…(not about this, just a little note about something).