brandon morrow

so 8 and 2/3 of no hit ball 17 strike outs what a dominant performance, until longoria finally broke it on the last at-bat, hill pretends he couldnt “quite” get to the ball, i say the ball was right in his glove and popped out of it, he should have made that play, guys in the bigs are paid to make such plays, anybody can feel a grounder on a one up bounce in the glove, he’s not paid 4millions a year for nothing, he’s a above average hitter yes but hes definetly paid for his glove too, thats disapointing

As if you think that’s an easy play that should of been made, Hill covered a ton of ground. and in case you didn’t notice Hill started getting paid a lot because he was a gold glover, he only really had one stellar year offensively and that was last year, and this year he has been below average untill recently.

Frustrating yes, but anything from a routine play. As 3and0 stated, hill covered a huge amount of ground to get that ball and I’d say the majority of the time he comes up with that ball but that’s baseball and when it comes to no hitters/perfect games everything has to go right, I feel like there is lots of skill involved but also a lot of luck and things that have to fall into place just to have an opportunity. Morrow definitely just raised his stock though, I say we trade bautista and buck at the end of the year and get some arms to go along with morrow. Do what the rays did, and get the jays back into this in a few years down the road!

not about ground covering, the ball WAS in his glove he just didnt hag on to it THATS whats frustrating.

to go along your trad idea,keep buck trade molina bautista wells snider gregg all these guys have great trade potential to get us a great young and full of potential team at a cheap price.

Remember the field is also turf, so it is a harder surface. So that may be the reason why the ball got out of his glove when he dove.

Hill gave all he could on that play, he wanted his pitcher to get the no hitter, no way a professional would tank a play like that.

i love the blue jays ( canadian eh) and I have seen arron hill play for a LONGGGG time. the J ays didn’t bring him up for his bat they brought him up for his glove. he was playing up the middleand that ball was right in the gap between first and second. I think he is lucky to even get leather on it because if he didn’t the runner on second might score. Hill is a very good player and he did all he could to get that ball

Are you saying that he let that ball go on purpose to end his no hitter, or are you just saying he is a overpaid player?

Here is some interesting info about 9th inning no hitters:

1961-2009: 125 no-hitters; 129 broken up in ninth—49.2% survived through the ninth inning
54 broken up with 0 out
43 broken up with 1 out (62.5% survived)
32 broken up with 2 out (79.6% survived)

[quote=“buwhite”]Are you saying that he let that ball go on purpose to end his no hitter, or are you just saying he is a overpaid player?

Here is some interesting info about 9th inning no hitters:

1961-2009: 125 no-hitters; 129 broken up in ninth—49.2% survived through the ninth inning
54 broken up with 0 out
43 broken up with 1 out (62.5% survived)
32 broken up with 2 out (79.6% survived)[/quote]

not saying he did it on purpose, obviously and not saying he is overpaid either, seeing i appreciate it, im just saying plays like that are the ones you are paid such high salary for, make the hard plays especially when youre a defensive player and especially when theres a no hitter going on im not mad at hill at all, hes good i was just making an argument

You guys are 1 DM short of a Canuckfest :shock: …I mean get a room will ya…eh? It does my heart good to see all of this love and outpouring of studious observations on ya’lls home team…So to honor the knowledge and love let me share some Canadian Wisdom for the ages (Oxymorons are a hobby of mine) with the rest of the forum…in thanks…

Man that was fun…

:rofl2:

My favorite Red Green One Liner:

Just because the ball went in his glove doesn’t mean its an error. If you try to rob a homerun and it bounces out of your glove its a homer, not an error

Hill makes that play all the time. He just buckled under the pressure, wanted to close his glove before the ball got all the way in there.

there you go, an other jays fan, you know what im talking about, im not trying to say he isnt good or he wasnt trying, just trying to say hit the ball up there a 100 times and hell make the play 98 99% of the time

forget about the play. the scorers are jerks with a no hitter going dont they have a heart. that want no surefire basehit. the player 2b even got his glove on it

Ok guys, I’m about to give you a new perspective…compliments of Jason Stark (Baseball America) and Lee Sinins (Complete Baseball Encyclopedia):

As summarized from a Stark article consider this.

Brandon Morrow’s 17 strikeout one-hitter is statistically “more astounding and more dominating” performance than most no-hitters on record. 17 strikeouts and 2 walks !!!

Active pitchers that have thrown no-hitters - 16
Active pitchers that have thrown a 17 strikeout game - 4 (Morrow, Santana, Sheets and Wood)

Using Bill James’ “Game Score” - only 2 no-hitters since 1920 graded out with a higher score than Morrows 100. Sandy Koufax’s 14 strikeout perfect game vs. the Cubs (sorry JD) and Nolan Ryan’s 16 strikeout no-hitter vs. the Blue Jays (sorry 4pie). They both scored 101.

The most dominating performance: Kerry Woods 20 strikeout game - scored 105.

This year’s scores for no-hitters are: Halladay (98, Braden (93), Garza(92), Jimenez( 88, and Jackson (85)…Gallarga’s near no-hitter (88

So with that in mind…give Hill a break and the scorer…Morrow’s performance was one of the best of all time, period. The “no-hitter” is many times an overrated event.

i seen this game as well. And i can say that it wasn’t arron hills fault.

lets be honest if it wasn’t that ball. What i mean if it was another play with the no hitter not involved than anyone of you guys would of said.

“Great job, arron way to get to the ball.” good try though, you can get it back next time.

But because it was the no-hitter you think its his fault.

The person who is to blame his Mr.Morrow.

He should of never of gotten the count to 3-0. Especially against evan longoria out of everyone. It wasn’t arron’s fault. It was a tough play.

Agreed, I’ve seen highlights of that game. The Astros had no chance, they were completely dominated. The Astros were at the time one of the best hitting teams in the league. From strike one, Wood had them by the throat. Futile swings against just pure nasty stuff

I wonder how Maddux’s duel against Schmidt the July he went to the Dodgers would have scored, as I think it was one of the most dominant pitching performances Greg ever laid out there.

I could think of worse situations than to be the poster child for that performance :lol: