Brad Lidge

Best closer’s season of all time?

48 for 48 - a perfect season, regualar season and post season. Won the world series, and closed out the final game. Is there anybody that had a better season than this?

Gagne I believe had a perfect season, but didn’t win the world series. Willie Hernendez won the cy young and mvp and won the world series, but I don’t believe he was perfect.

Has anyone had a better season as a closer than this guy? What an incredible year. While everyone was talking about k-rod and papelbon and rivera, here’s Lidge having a perfect season right under our nose!

No kidding. Rivera has the cutter, Papelbon the splitter, and those are things that are unhittable when they’re on. Lidge has his slider, and he was just on every time. Lidge would be the MVP if Hamels wasn’t so great.

:clapping: :goteam:

I am a 100% astros fan.
Now, please tell me why could he not do this for us?!?!
I think pujols damaged him psychologically.

He always had the stuff but i dont think he had the confidence in himself. Someone in the Phillies organization must of made him realize how bad ass he is.

I once saw Francisco Cordero blow a save by allowing 4 runs while getting 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth.

I once saw Jonathan Papelbon blow a save by allowing a sacrifice fly in the 8th inning after coming on with the bases loaded and none out.

The point is, blown saves can be misleading. While a perfect save season is impressive and Lidge is great, I’m sure there have been lots of better relieving seasons in the past few years.

It’s not a blown save if it’s the 8th inning…is it?

It’s not a blown save if it’s the 8th inning…[/quote]

Yes it is. A blown save can happen before the 9th.

I stand corrected. Must be thinking of something else.

[quote=“Orangepeel”]I once saw Francisco Cordero blow a save by allowing 4 runs while getting 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth.

I once saw Jonathan Papelbon blow a save by allowing a sacrifice fly in the 8th inning after coming on with the bases loaded and none out.

The point is, blown saves can be misleading. While a perfect save season is impressive and Lidge is great, I’m sure there have been lots of better relieving seasons in the past few years.[/quote]

I’d challenge you then to find another closer with a better season. Isn’t a closer’s job to come in the game and close it out for a win? Well Lidge did that better than anybody in history. The fact is, the Phillies were undefeated after the seventh with a lead, all season! It’s not like his stats were bad either. Great Great numbers.

Sounds like jealousy… mets fan!

Eric Gagne’s 2003 was pretty ridiculous. 55 saves, I think he only blew one. ERA+ of 335.

Yup Palo, that is one of the best closer seasons of all time. He won the cy young that year.

I take Gagne of 'o3 over Lidge of 'o8 any day. Not the Gagne of today, thoug…

Sabermetrics-wise Gagne was decisively better than Lidge. Sabermetrics though…

I don’t know if anyone can do this, but I want to see Lidges percentage of sliders thrown and the swing and miss percentage on the slider.

Here is an article that answers your question.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-insideedgelidge100808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Gagne with no championships, Lidge was perfect this postseason.

[quote=“Hammer”][quote=“Orangepeel”]I once saw Francisco Cordero blow a save by allowing 4 runs while getting 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth.

The point is, blown saves can be misleading. While a perfect save season is impressive and Lidge is great, I’m sure there have been lots of better relieving seasons in the past few years.[/quote]

I’d challenge you then to find another closer with a better season. Isn’t a closer’s job to come in the game and close it out for a win? Well Lidge did that better than anybody in history. The fact is, the Phillies were undefeated after the seventh with a lead, all season! It’s not like his stats were bad either. Great Great numbers.[/quote]

Do you not get it at all? If two closers have one blown save, but one was like the Papelbon one and one was like the Cordero one, and they have equal numbers, who is better?

Some closers pitch more than others, and some closers pitch with smaller leads than others. This makes the entire save stat quite bad.

Yeah, because an EXCLUSIVELY NINTH INNING PITCHER has EVERYTHING to do with a World Series win.