Brad Lidge Slider

Okay, this isn’t a kelvinp post, I’m not gonna ask “how do you throw lidge’s slider cause it’s plain nasty.” I’m just wondering, how does he have a slider that essential travels on a straight-down plane from his hand, but is not a 12-6 curve? It doesn’t have that “loop” it just sort of goes down, I’ve seen hundreds of pitchers pitch, and I haven’t seen a slider like that. What makes it so unique?

They have been showing his release in slo-mo 13 what more can you say?
He throws it more like a slurve to drive it more down than sideways…

wow woopty dooo
i cant ask how a major leaguer thriows a pitch

derek lowes is like that

i personally believe its a improperly thrown slider
fast curveball

a slider id meant to slider across
several other pitches break down

these guys are just using this fastcurve/misthrownslider as a slider

it works for them i dont see how though

[quote=“jdfromfla”]They have been showing his release in slo-mo 13 what more can you say?
He throws it more like a slurve to drive it more down than sideways…[/quote]

First of all, why do you keep calling me 13? To me it’s kinda offensive because it sounds like you’re condescending. And kelvinp, I have no problem with what you ask (the fact that you ask questions means you want to learn). Anyway, I know they’ve been showing it in slo-mo, but I don’t even understand how one would throw a slurve, or how Lidge drives it down.

That’s all I’m asking.

Also, kelvin, have you seen him throw? The ball is not like Lowe’s nor is it an improper curve. It is almost like a splitter only it travels straight and then just drops off the table with more curvature. It doesn’t have that “hump” but at 86 mph it’s not an “improper” curve. Have you seen the pitch?

He probably keeps calling u 13 because a bakersdozen is equal to 13

He is calling you a bakers dozen. 13. How can that be condescending? Its your tag.

… Ooooooooooooooooooooo…

I didn’t think about that. Whoops… :lol:

I knew that, I just didn’t equate, my screename= 13.

I thought Jd was just sort of calling me a kid or something.

Haha, my bad.

1 Like

[quote]Also, kelvin, have you seen him throw? The ball is not like Lowe’s nor is it an improper curve. It is almost like a splitter only it travels straight and then just drops off the table with more curvature. It doesn’t have that “hump” but at 86 mph it’s not an “improper” curve. Have you seen the pitch?

[/quote]

lowes is similar because of no lateral movement
it has a slider/curve spin
i saw him in the last two nlcs games

could come from not supinating at all
lowe pronates hard(how does he get by with two pitches)

a slider slides across
it doesnt break like a slider
it breaks like a hard 12-6/power curve

Hmm… I’m trying to think.

Does anyone else have a slider/whatever pitch you wanna call it that has the same movement as Lidge’s?

Usually it’s a hard breaking loopy 12-6 or a slider that has a quick break and a small horizontal movement.

derek lowe
some dude for the sorry redsox

a slider is meant to break across
but breaking down doesnt change the effectiveness

could there b two kinds of slider

but thinking
its like a cut fastball(regular slider) and a split(lidges slider)
different pitch breakwise

Actually… yeah. Lidge said in an interview that he throws two distinctly different sliders.

One he throws for strikes and starts high and breaks over.

The other has that splitter-esque movement and has batters swings at the worms in the ground.

Also, are you sure that Lowe’s slider was that hard-breaking or fast? If it was, he’d be more dominant. I watched him, and it definitely wasn’t the same as Lidge’s. Just not as good.

Kelv, again, I see that your wrong in this thread. Lowe’s slider certainly has lateral movement, and it works great with his two seamer going the other way.

Lidge’s slider is more straight down, and it doesn’t mean he’s throwing it improperly or wrong, it’s actually a great nasty slider. But it does have some lateral movement. Lidge also has a much different arm slot than many others, but this pitch is definitely a slider.

Hey Hammer chat now.

Here’s his grip of his unique slider.

Front View:

Side View

Weird grip, but its filthy. :slight_smile:

Glad ya’ll cleared up the 13 mystery for me…just I side note…look at my umpteen gazillion posts…if there is one that is condenscending I’ll…well…I’ll apologize…It ain’t me…I peach and give respect…in a friendly way I hope.
What I mean by slurve is if you watched those sol-mo’s closely, where a normal slider a guy will be more behind the ball and work more for over-balance, his tends to get outside and on top which is more like a curve.
Carlos Marmul of the Cubs has similar action on his outstanding slider. It really isn’t too uncommon to throw the slider that way…he just does it at a solid velocity with great deception…the tell tale charactoristic is the seams forming a dot…thats what a big league batter looks for…but the dot makes a mind think lateral and not drop.

Thanks for clearing that up. :smiley:

[quote]Here’s his grip of his unique slider.

Front View:

Side View

Weird grip, but its filthy. [/quote]

thats the way it hold mine
cept my fingers are moved to the right a little
almost like a small four seam grip

but i get movement across
almost all lateral

Weirdest slider grip, if you ask me. o.0

same grip different break

[quote=“Bakersdozen”]Hmm… I’m trying to think.

Does anyone else have a slider/whatever pitch you wanna call it that has the same movement as Lidge’s?

Usually it’s a hard breaking loopy 12-6 or a slider that has a quick break and a small horizontal movement.[/quote]

Joe Nathan and Craig Hansen.