Boxing

Hey guys I was just wondering… for a stamina workout I guess it could be right?.. boxing I’m talking about… is that bad for ur arm? cause I didnt fight any1 just on a bag and my friend and I were wondering bout it

I love doing heavy bag work as a workout “finisher” or offday thing to get the blood flowing.

However I found the impact was just tearing up my shoulder. My throwing volume and then adding the additional trauma was to much.

don’t risk it dude. Go for a run.

An exercise that will build staying power is related to the sport of boxing an that’s rope skip’g.

Try eighty five (85) times a day and notice the demands on your legs, wind, wrists and torso. If your not in shape, this will have you beat in about two minutes.

I start a pitching staff on this right out of the gate - it quickly weeds out the smokers, ice cream guts, cheaters on the diet and breakfast skip’rs.

Coach B.

coach baker

what does 85 times a day mean with regard to jumprope

Is that some sort of jump rope game

I don’t get it

:shock:

[quote=“centerfield2150”]I love doing heavy bag work as a workout “finisher” or offday thing to get the blood flowing.

However I found the impact was just tearing up my shoulder. My throwing volume and then adding the additional trauma was to much.[/quote]
Sounds like a problem with form. Impact injuries typically happen with the wrist/hands in boxing, which is why it is important that you learn how to wrap your hands well to keep everything protected.

Rope skipping is lots of fun too. There are tons of variations that can keep you busy for a lifetime once you get past the basics.

Boxing workouts are fantastic for overall conditioning. I love them.
:boxing:

One danger of using a heavy bag is when doing a hook. If form isn’t correct, there can be some stresses in the shoulder. Now, with respect to dangers for pitchers, it would be only if it were the pitching arm that was doing the hooks.

My suggestion is to try the speed bag and the end-to-end ball, as opposed to the heavy bag. I’ll qualify that by saying that it is possible to get a very good aerobic workout on the heavy bag without hitting it as hard as you can.

The speed bag is great for conditioning the shoulders (not the rotator cuff though) and the end-to-end ball is good for whole body control, posture, footwork, etc.

The web site below will give you some idea of the workout benefits of jumping rope.
When I mentioned 85 times, I aluded to skipping rope 85 times… one skip, two skip… each time you rotate the rope and skip over it … that’s one, skip over it again… that’s two, and so on.

http://www.jumpropeinstitute.com/a-z_on_jump_rope.htm

In the off season where space can be a little sparse for working out, skipping rope is perfect for keeping you muscle tone, your stamina, etc.
It also requires concentration.

Coach B.

thanks coach B

that makes sense and I agree juming rope must be a great conditioning tool…it’s something I completely forgot about with my son