Boxing and tennis: Does participation in these help at all?

Boxing and tennis are my 2nd and 3rd favorite sports. I try to do something boxing related everyday and something tennis related at least twice a weak.

Is there any direct pitching benefits from this?.. detriments? (other than getting hurt)

I don’t utilize weight training very much. Consequently, riding a lot of bike combined with these two sports make up the majority of my conditioning program. I try to enjoy conditioning as much as possible and I pretty much hate weight training. Also, I work as a carpenter when I’m not in school and this involves hanging a lot of doors and windows. Therefore, I’m not completely devoid of strength training in my life.

Am I way off base or does the above post describe an adequate training regimen?

I’d be careful with tennis. I’m not super familiar with the sport, but I do know that it places a bit of stress on the shoulder and elbow, and if you’re coupling that with pitching and throwing – it could be too much! Not saying it is, but just keep an eye on it.

The boxing shouldn’t be a problem. But seriously, don’t break a finger or sprain your wrist … that’s the reason I wouldn’t do either sports during the baseball season.

In baseball season, you should just play baseball, in my opinion.

I agree with Steven. I always avoided racquet sports while playing baseball. To me, it is just too much stress on the shoulder and elbow. Every hear of tennis elbow? Well there is also thrower’s elbow…they are essentially the same injury as a result of the same motion, so combining the two just seems like you will be twice as likely to incur an injury.

As for boxing, great cardio, just dont break anything.

I would consider getting some lifting in as well. I am no boxer, but I feel like while boxing you are working mostly the back and tricep muscles, and lacking the chest, and bis.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

That all makes good sense. I guess I’m just gonna bear down and discipline myself to do more of the weight training.

[quote=“CSamuel”]Thanks for the input gentlemen.

That all makes good sense. I guess I’m just gonna bear down and discipline myself to do more of the weight training.[/quote]
get a training partner, be competitive and have fun!

in the offseason i genuinely look forward to each and every workout. Few things feel better than setting PRs and busting through them, while helping motivate your partner to do the same.