Bowling?

I was thinking about doing bowling as a winter ‘sport’, but im hesitent because i dont know how it would affect my pitching and my arm…any comments

Never bothered me. Shouldn’t be a problem for the arm. It could be an issue for the back or the knees, but probably not. It is hard on the fingers and thumb but shouldn’t affect pitching. I think the big bowling injury is hitting the side of your ankle with the ball. Hurts like heck.

Bowling is a fun sport.

Fixed.

Fixed.[/quote]

LOL.
My qualifications are Blood, Sweat, Tears, The Human does more than 50% of the work. (Nascar and polo, the human isn’t doing any of the work to move haha)

So is their blood in bowling?

Fixed.[/quote]

LOL.
My qualifications are Blood, Sweat, Tears, The Human does more than 50% of the work. (Nascar and polo, the human isn’t doing any of the work to move haha)

So is their blood in bowling?[/quote]

More like nachos, sweat, and beers.

Bowling could actually be good for hand and forearm strength.

Fixed.[/quote]

No, it’s a sport. And certain mechanics are very related to the pitching motion. I’m surprised more people don’t see the connection.

Not unless you have your own personal ball drilled to fit your hand. If you’re using a “house” ball, you’d have to “muscle” up on the ball, which you don’t want to do. Too much tension in the arm muscles can mess up your aim.

Bowling always messed me up, so I never did it while playing in-season or during the off-season. But that’s just a personal preference. Golf messed me up in season, too. So I gave up on that and now suck at it.

Hey, xv84: Is golf a sport? :shrug:

[quote=“xv84”]
No, it’s a sport. And certain mechanics are very related to the pitching motion. I’m surprised more people don’t see the connection.[/quote]

I never said bowling doesn’t utilize mechanics similar to pitching.

It still isn’t a sport.
Swinging a sledge hammer on the chain gang uses similar rotational mechanics. Still isn’t a sport.

Are they sports? I can’t stand when they are on. I would rather watch bowling - any day. But I do like to play poker & bowl with my friends.

How can bowling not give you grip and hand strength important for pitching? I don’t care how big or small the holes are. Yeah, if you go out there like an idiot and try and blowout your arm bowling, yeah you could hurt yourself. Yeah if the holes don’t fit your hand it might hurt your hand, but if you keep your body under control I’ve never seen anyone hurt their arm bowling. I could see how golf could alter your hitting swing, but these activities shouldn’t mess up your throwing motion. That doesn’t make much sense.

Auto racing not a sport? You guys should check out what F1 drivers go through. They’re some of the most fit athletes in the world.

Article
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/articles/15-06-05

centerfield,
There’s blood in bowling. People who bowl a lot regularly tear the skin on their thumbs and some tear the skin on their fingers.

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]Bowling always messed me up, so I never did it while playing in-season or during the off-season. But that’s just a personal preference. Golf messed me up in season, too. So I gave up on that and now stink at it.

Hey, xv84: Is golf a sport? :shrug:[/quote]

If they’re using performance-enhancing drugs, it’s a sport :wink: J/k. But seriously, if there is serious competition with big money involved, it’s a sport.

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“xv84”]
No, it’s a sport. And certain mechanics are very related to the pitching motion. I’m surprised more people don’t see the connection.[/quote]

I never said bowling doesn’t utilize mechanics similar to pitching.

It still isn’t a sport.
Swinging a sledge hammer on the chain gang uses similar rotational mechanics. Still isn’t a sport.[/quote]

What if there was some sort of scoring involved a lots of money to be made? Then it would become a sport.

If your forearm muscles are sore from bowling, you’ve overdone it.

Is chess a sport?
Are videogames a sport?

Having soreness in your forearm muscles isn’t a bad thing necessarily. When I do a forearm workout at the gym, sometimes after a side or a long toss session my forearm will get sore. It’s just breaking the muscles down so they can be rebuilt stronger. Imo, when you throw or lift and you don’t get sore or tight, your probably not using enough intensity. In other words, if you have a long toss session and your a bit sore or tight the next day, it’s not a bad thing. I’d actually prefer to be a little sore.

[quote=“TheWatch”]Auto racing not a sport? You guys should check out what F1 drivers go through. They’re some of the most fit athletes in the world.

Article
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/articles/15-06-05
[/quote]

Combat pilots go through those levels of stress and way beyond. I can’t say I’ve ever thought of flying a tomcat as a sport.

haha, but seriously, society uses the SPORT label way too much. Competition sure, but I think sport is way to loose of a term now.

SPORT

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
  2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
  3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
  4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
  5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
  6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
  7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
  8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
  9. a sportsman.
  10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
  11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
  12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
  13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
  14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.
    –adjective
  15. of, pertaining to, or used in sports or a particular sport.
  16. suitable for outdoor or informal wear: sport clothes.
    –verb (used without object)
  17. to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation.
  18. to play, frolic, or gambol, as a child or an animal.
  19. to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime or sport.

The rest of the definition can be found here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport