Bowflex

I’d only like to hear from people that has trained someone using a bowflex or has used one alot themselves. (and perhaps from people with relevant knowledge about resistance training not neccasarily related to the bowflex). Please avoid telling me what cousin couch potato bob told you about his bowflex gathering dust in his basement… or linking to a site full of testimonials from actors paid by bowflex :p)

Anyways;
-Resistance Training better or as good as freeweights for getting in shape? Specifically in regards to pitching.
-What results have you seen?
-When the bowflex website says that it has X exercises, are they just talking out of there ass or what?
-Can you move between workouts as quickly?
-Is it going to break in a week/month/year?
-I’m hoping to avoid having a whole gym set by having this one machine, is this a false hope?

I don’t have good access to a gym, so thats not a good option, space here is limited, and I’ve heard good things about using resistance training versus free weights, and thats why I’m asking. (Of course I’m a skeptic and am trying to do research).

“cousin couch potato bob”

How’d you get a look at me? :shock:

I have no experience with the equipment, but a guy who used to work for me used it regularly and had outstanding results. I would expect that if you put in the effort you’ll get results from most equipment. I’ve also had very respectable comments about this gear from one of my closest friends who is a certified trainer.
So from the couch potato gallery you get no bad recommendations over here :lol:

It all depends what we are talking about. Is a bowflex better than sitting around? Yep. Is it better than a full cage, barbells and dumbbells? I dont think so.

The bowflex has the same limitations as most other machines, which is the limited plane of the weight. When you do squats with a barbell, the core is forced to work overtime in order to support the weight on your back. Same can be said with nearly any freeweight or bodyweight strength exercise. With a machine, you are limiting the stabilizer effect in order to isolate the muscle. That doesnt help when you are looking for athletic performance.

Another problem is that most of the time you’ll pay a lot more for a bowflex than a cage and weights (check craigslist if you dont believe me).

[quote=“kc86”]It all depends what we are talking about. Is a bowflex better than sitting around? Yep. Is it better than a full cage, barbells and dumbbells? I dont think so.

The bowflex has the same limitations as most other machines, which is the limited plane of the weight. When you do squats with a barbell, the core is forced to work overtime in order to support the weight on your back. Same can be said with nearly any freeweight or bodyweight strength exercise. With a machine, you are limiting the stabilizer effect in order to isolate the muscle. That doesnt help when you are looking for athletic performance.

Another problem is that most of the time you’ll pay a lot more for a bowflex than a cage and weights (check craigslist if you dont believe me).[/quote]

Athletic Performance- Ok so bowflex is worse for pitchers then a cage/dumbell/barbell setup.

Even if I wanted to ‘x’ the idea;
-Where do I start in terms of getting a vocabulary for the exercises many of you guys talk about on here? When you guys say ‘plyometric’ I don’t understand, also many of the exercises I see described I wouldn’t even know where to begin with. Don’t get me wrong I have seen some demonstrations and have been to gym’s, with my college team we worked out on a bunch of gold’s gym type equipment (more machines, bad I assume).

Ok, what I may do in my spare time after work over the next two days;
-Look for a book with lots of weightroom exercises so I have a reference of some sort on hand.
-Start finding prices for cage/dumbells/barbells.

-What is Craigslist?

This site has a listing of just about every exercise known to man: http://www.exrx.net/

Just to point this out because I didnt mention it before… You do not necessarily need to shell out big bucks for a cage, barbells, and weights. That is certainly one option and it is definitely effective. There is also bodyweight style exercise, which can work just as well if you follow a well designed program. That is actually what I do right now - primarily bodyweight along with resistance bands (which are super cheap). Never Gymless is a well laid out program and you can make adjustments to make it fit your needs. www.rosstraining.com

This is craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/about/cities.html It is basically a free classifieds page on the internet.