Both games of a doubleheader for a reliever

Can someone please pass on some advice about pitching in two games of a doubleheader? Specifically, if a pitcher throws 40 pitches in game 1 and then comes back less than an hour later in game 2 as the first reliever in teh first inning and throws about 40 more, is that bad?

Age group is 16 and pitcher has been playing varsity ball sicne February.

I can’t give you a good study to back this up, but what you are describing makes me nervous.

I do think it’s good that the cumulative pitch count isn’t that high, which is good.

I hope he was given enough time to warm up before each outing.

Chris - Thanks for the input. I will say this, the actual layoff between pitches thrown was only 44 minutes. The pitcher had his arm wrapped to keep warm and threw 10 pitches as a warm up before pitching in the second game. I specifically limited him to 80 pitches total.

I’ve never been a fan of having a pitcher throw in multiple games in one day either in a starting or relief role.

Most relief pitchers hate it when their managers warm them up to come into a game, then the starter gets out of the jam, goes out for another inning or two and then the reliever has to get warmeed up all over again.

From personal experience, I was brought into an MSBL 35+ World Series pool play game in a relief role two years ago and pitched 4 2/3 innings to get the win. We had a 90 minute gap between the end of that game and the start of the second game of our double header that day. I started the second game and went 4 1/3 before running out of gas. My arm was tired and lethargic the second game and my recovery time was easily triple what it normally was. I was 48 years old at the time.

I would strongly recommend not doing this with younger players whose arms are not fully mature. ( ie-growth plates fully closed).

I agree with tfree. Don’t make a habit of it.

I remember a long time ago when the Yankees had two pitchers who could do just that—Joe Page, who probably ushered in the era of the closer, and Allie Reynolds, who doubled as a starter and a reliever. Well, they could do it, because both of them had rubber arms. But nowadays…I wouldn’t recommend that.