Born with "it" VS. Working hard to get "it&qu

Probably answered before. How is it some kids can throw 85 in h.s. with no mechanics, no training, and my son, can barely hit 80? He works extremely hard, does pitching specific work outs, long toss, mechanics, etc. Yet all his hard work doesnt increase his velocity. Is it possible that with alot of kids that it really doesnt matter how hard you work, you just may not have the god given arm to throw 85-90? Some kids just throw hard with no formal training, just born with it. If hard work mattered, not only my kid, but several others ive see through the years would be throwing 125 MPH.

What do you do when hard work doesnt pay off?

Some kids can roll out of bed and throw 90 without ever working hard a day in their life.

And genetically its just not in the cards for some.

Its a combination of genetics and mechanics. Strength has very little to do with velocity. (I have gone from squatting max 225 to 575 and seen minimal gains in velocity)

The way that your muscles trigger in unison when you throw a baseball is as much genetic as it is learned…

Fortunately there is always hope, some kids develop later than others. My senior year I was 84-85 by my senior year of college i was (am) 89-91.

I wouldn’t recommend stopping the hard work because in the long run it pays off.

The strong character and work habit developed from playing baseball are things that will carry with a player long after their playing days. The ones who work their butts off will be far more successful then the players who have everything handed to them on a silver platter.

And some things just cannot be taught if you stood on your head. Some players have it, some don’t—but what a player does have can be vastly improved and expanded upon by working at it. For example, a 95-to-100 miles an hour fast ball: some pitchers just have it—Bob Feller, Vic Raschi, Justin Verlander to name three—while others develop it through working at it, and even if these latter players may never reach 100 miles an hour they can increase their velocity. And then there are others—I call them “snake-jazzers”, the ones who don’t have a fast ball to speak of and may never achieve said velocity, so they go to the other extreme and become finesse pitchers, with control, command and a good arsenal of breaking stuff. Harry Brecheen in the 40s—Ed Lopat—Jamie Moyer—they didn’t have the speed, so they compensated by developing an extensive repertoire of stuff and—this can be taught—control and command of those pitches. And they too won games, a lot of them.
You play the hand you were dealt, and if you play it right you come out ahead of the game. :slight_smile: 8)

There are a number of reasons.

1 - You say you are working hard, but are you working smart? Are your mechanics efficient? You need to post video and compare what your son does to what the best in the business do. This does not mean copy to the letter how they throw the ball but you can use it as a bench mark because most hard throwers do a lot of the same things (there are subtleties that cannot be seen with the naked eye that can have a huge effect on how hard someone throws as compared to someone else - in other words…just because you look the same as the “pro” doesn’t necessarily mean you will have the same results).

2 - Are you doing the same things over and over expecting different results? That’s the definition of insanity you know… :slight_smile: You can’t keep doing the same workout month after month year after year and not see results. You will have to experiment and try other things. Finding out how to throw hard is very much a long trial and error process. All coaching and everything we do here in this forum is to try and shorten this trial and error process.

3 - Maybe your son is a late bloomer. If so he may not see anything velocity wise until he is in his late teens or early twenties (as UndersizedRHP pointed out).

There are other reasons but to get to your original question… IMO I think yes. Most hard throwers (anyone who is in the low 90’s or above) are genetically gifted to be able to throw the way they do. Especially the super elite 100+mph throwers.

Now this doesn’t mean that you just give up. Quite the contrary. To get to 90mph you need to not only work hard, but smart. Leaving no stone unturned. I am of the opinion that almost everyone could throw at LEAST 85mph if not near 90. Especially a kid who is 6’ or above.

For some getting there is easier than others. But I think if you work hard enough, smart enough, eventually when the body is mature - you will reach your goal.

I agree with 101 in the fact that I whole-heartedly feel that every pitcher could at least hit 85 mph. I also agree with 101 in the fact that perhaps your sons mechanics or workout program isn’t really that smart. A great teacher once said "no instruction is better than bad instruction"
One example of this, is my neighbor’s son who is 6 now and just starting to pitch was throwing in the back yard yesterday. Can you guess how good his mechanics were? Well given his size and strength levels they were pretty flawless. He shot-putted the ball a bit, but that is because of his strength level. He had good timing between his legs and upper body, he stabilized his front side and he didn’t have any of the cookie-cutterness that I am seeing increasingly in younger pitchers. "balance point, point the ball to center field, arm swing, follow-through towards home."
Now while he may not have control or velocity yet, we must remember that he is still 6. No 6 year old no matter how much high level instruction is going to have madduxian control.
Post a video of your son, and we can help determine if there are any flaws. Post the workout program, we can help make tweaks if necessary.

alot of it depends on laxity in the shoulder. eric cressey found that 100% of professional pitchers shoulder’s were positive for a sulcus sign, which indicates extreme flexibility in the shoulder joint. In addition to that, 88% of those pro pitchers had a sulcus sign in their NON throwing shoulder. Some of it is just natural selection.

I’ve heard that phrase over the years. On the other hand - NOTHING beats hard, honest work. Grind it out with the expectation of improvement. Having the physical and mental will to endure physical workouts, don’t walk-away from it, make excuses, call it a day.

Physical and mental strength takes time to build and maintain. It comes from deep within a man. It’s what seperates us from the pack.

I’ve seen my fair share of all the “naturals”. Those with the gift(s). But, stack a man up like that with no real will to tough it out “getting there”, next to a man with less, willing to grind it out - no contest. I’ll take less in the “can do” department for the man with " I will do". I can work with that. Fact is, I have.

Coach B.