Bodyweightx1.5 Squat, who can do it?

This is often considered a good measure of pound for pound strength, if you can squat 1.5 times your bodyweight or more.

Personally, I’ve never maxed out but I’ve done 285x3 @ 170, so I’m over the hump. Shooting for BWx2.0 this winter!

I’m about 180 lbs. and even though I’ve been working out, I don’t have access to a barbell and the amount of weight to really push myself (I only have enough plates to go 25 lbs. on each dumbbell). I think this actually bodes well for this fall though. Whether I make my JC team or not, I plan on using the school gym (free for all students of course) and being able to use a barbell with very significant weight for low reps should be much better than what I do now - which is just the 25 lbs. on each dumbbell and knock out like 10 reps fast and explosive.

Hopefully when I have access to some real weights I will start to see some real gains on the field and in my strength overall.

[quote=“JMB33”]I’m about 180 lbs. and even though I’ve been working out, I don’t have access to a barbell and the amount of weight to really push myself (I only have enough plates to go 25 lbs. on each dumbbell). I think this actually bodes well for this fall though. Whether I make my JC team or not, I plan on using the school gym (free for all students of course) and being able to use a barbell with very significant weight for low reps should be much better than what I do now - which is just the 25 lbs. on each dumbbell and knock out like 10 reps fast and explosive.

Hopefully when I have access to some real weights I will start to see some real gains on the field and in my strength overall.[/quote]

That sucks, definetly get in the gym when you get the chance. (Have fun with the people watching over the school gym tho, I once had to fight for ten minutes with a teacher before he let me deadlift 355, I don’t go there anymore haha)

But have you thought of doing some pylometric training in your spare time?

I banged out a 240x3 squat and a 300x1 deadlift a few months back at 150lbs bodyweight. I doubt I can hit more than 1.5BWx1 in my current condition.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”][quote=“JMB33”]I’m about 180 lbs. and even though I’ve been working out, I don’t have access to a barbell and the amount of weight to really push myself (I only have enough plates to go 25 lbs. on each dumbbell). I think this actually bodes well for this fall though. Whether I make my JC team or not, I plan on using the school gym (free for all students of course) and being able to use a barbell with very significant weight for low reps should be much better than what I do now - which is just the 25 lbs. on each dumbbell and knock out like 10 reps fast and explosive.

Hopefully when I have access to some real weights I will start to see some real gains on the field and in my strength overall.[/quote]

That sucks, definetly get in the gym when you get the chance. (Have fun with the people watching over the school gym tho, I once had to fight for ten minutes with a teacher before he let me deadlift 355, I don’t go there anymore haha)

But have you thought of doing some pylometric training in your spare time?[/quote]

I don’t there should be a problem with people monitoring the weight room.

P90X plyometrics is what I’ve been doing once a week. It is extremely intense and like 45 minutes to an hour long.

My PR is 305 lbs weighing 190 lbs.

A good barometer of decent strength is simply being able to squat your BW. Many people can’t even do this. Plus, using a simple multiplier isn’t great for “strength” purposes - lots of people point to 1xBW Bench, 1.5xBW Squat, 2xBW Deadlift as “strongman” markers. However, this doesn’t necessarily work for different bodytypes.

1.5 is good for a one rep max or for sets?? Almost all althetes I know can squat their bodyweight x 1.5 and bench well over thier bodywieght. Im starting to feel good about my lifts if this is considered “strong”

Its for a one rep max, and idk what athletes you know, but I know of very few who actually can do this. Its certainly not an easy thing to do…

Edit- WHat do your lifts look like?

I’m almost at 1.5 in a full ass to grass front squat.

The only thing that I have ever seen that 1.5xbw used is when people are trying to get ready for plyos. This is the level that most experts want you to achieve before starting plyos because they believe that if you are at this level of strength, your tendons and muscles can handle the force of the plyos without injury. If i were you guys, I would just try 1.5 and then keep going up and up. I got up to 2-2.5xbw in college, which i dont think is horrible considering i weighed 215 at the time. A teammate of mine could do 3xbw. Craziest thing i have ever seen. The bar would flop back and forth when he got to the top like it was goin to bend around his neck.

Oh absolutely, I’m working towards 2x BW, but I’m not extremely gifted with squats in the first place. Deadlift is my most powerful lift, squat is second by a pretty decent margin, and bench is a distant third.

Edit- Out of curiosity, how athletic was that guy? Was he very fast? Jump very high? Just one of those hyperathletes?

He was pretty athletic. He was a pitcher and a big guy. That is what made people just stare when he was in the weight room. It is crazy seeing a guy that is 6’4 squatting 600+ pounds. We also did hang cleans and he was pretty strong with those as well. His bench was his weakness and that was still like 275.

I one leg (parallel) squatted 50lbsx3 @ BW 178 which puts my barbell squat 3RM at ~278lbs making my 1RM about 305-310lbs.

I know CF hit a 405lb squat at about 185-190lbs