BodyBlade Study on throwing MPH

This is a study that found that a body blade increased MPH in some people. Before I get to the study

Wouldn’t the body blade be better then a regular tubing or dumbell exercises for off-season due to teaching the quick twitch mucles in the shoulder to contract???

Another Study I have found.

(1) Baseball pitchers who trained with the Bodyblade
(2) ‘Control’ pitchers who did not use the Bodyblade
(3) Position players who worked with the Bodyblade
(4) ‘Control’ position players without Bodyblades

The control players continued with their regular training and seasonal competition, while the Bodyblade players combined their normal training and play with four Bodyblade exercises. These exercises included side-to-side, overhead movements using a two-hand grip, frontward motion with the Bodyblade employing a two-hand grip (something like chopping wood with an axe), a routine throwing motion (like throwing a baseball) while holding the Bodyblade in one hand, and a side-to-side arm motion (not overhead) with a one-hand hold. Each exercise consisted of two repetitions of each of the four exercises, with the duration of each repetition progressively increasing from 30 to 60 seconds over the 10-week study period. The Bodyblade subjects worked with their blades three times per week during the investigation.
At the end of the 10-week period, athletes who trained with the Bodyblade were able to throw a baseball at a significantly higher velocity, compared with the no-Bodyblade players. The Armstrong Atlantic State University researchers found no improvement in shoulder-muscle strength in the Bodyblade trainees, but this is probably because they measured shoulder strength in a non-sport-specific way. The fact that the Bodyblade players could throw a baseball harder is a sign that they actually were functionally stronger, that is, stronger during an activity that was relevant to their sport. It is likely that the one-hand throwing motions utilised with the Bodyblade, with the blade providing excellent resistance to motion, improved throwing strength enough to cause the observed upgrades in speed.
Since rehab exercises following injury should provide little trauma to injured tissues, strengthen the neuromuscular system in a sport-specific way, and
prepare an athlete for a return to activity, the Bodyblade appears to be an excellent rehabilitation-training device. It does not involve impact forces or large stresses on joints, and it appears to be able to provide sport-specific strengthening. In addition, the Bodyblade does appear to be a time-efficient training implement, as its marketers claim. The athletes in this study improving throwing velocity with just 10 minutes of Bodyblade exercise, carried out three times per week.

Could the body blade be better then tubing and dumbell shoulder exercises?

I dont think the study shows that the bodyblade is better, but it does show that it would be a good addition to your training program.

But the statistician in me feels like pointing out that the sample grouping is too small to extrapolate any meaningful data (ie. saying that it would definitely benefit everyone as much as the study states).

I believe it stated the effect size was 1.6, for most people that’s one mph.
Granted it is only 10 minutes, but for 10 weeks and only 1 mph it’s far from anything revolutionary.

I agree with KC, the study could have been conducted better.

I have a q’s how could this be added to conditioning? What benefits would the bodyblade have with the muscles i’ve heard it’s great for the small muscles of the shoulder and fast twitch muscles is that right?

I think Steven has more experience with the bodyblade than most here. Hopefully he can give you some answers on when and how to use it.

Love the Bodyblade and know the owner and inventor personally. I’ll post a Bodyblade program for pitchers on my newly-designed (actually, it’s still in progress) Website in a few weeks. Please be patient :slight_smile:

Steven is the website going to be an add on of this one or is it going to be a whole newwebsite that you have to sign-up to?

Steven I have a very important questions that need to be answered.

Since I’m planning on doing tuff cuff in the off-season and there are no body blade exercises how could I intergrate the body blade exercises In?

If you make a workout for the body blade could i just add it to every shoulder workout day or should i delete some tuff cuff dumbell exercises?

The bodyblade is a shoulder scap workout, so it can be subbed for the other shoulder scap exercises in the manual.

Steven couldn’t you use the body blade for some dumbell exercises in tuff cuff like Lateral Raise, Anterior Raise, External and Internal? You could imulate all of theses exercises with bodyblade.

I think it might be better since it makes the shoulder muscles contract quick and dumbells are slow contractions. Pitching is about the number of contractions at a time and the body blade does more then dumbells so can I use the listed dumbells exercises with the bodyblade instead?

I saw a player using this thing once, and I’ve got to tell you that I honestly thought this kid was going to slap himself into next week! In fact, I found something similar in a dumpster that following week that looked just like it — and did just about the same thing. A stiff solid rubber hose about one inch in dia and about five feet in length. Sooooo, I can only say — are you guys kid’n! And for $99 to $150 bucks! I’ve see all kinds of train’g tools, aids, gimicks, how-to’s and the like, but this thing has me scratching my head. I know I’m old-school and I will admit that at my age I sometimes catch-on like green wood, but come-on, it’s actually on the market and trainers use this stuff? Now before some one says “get with the times”, I remember a sports vendor that our club used walked into my office and said he a thing called a “pitcher’s balance progression board”, he just had to show me. So, out of the box came this sleek looking, highly polished, red-white-and-blue, board about 3 feet long, with a kitchen rolling pin. The guy almost broke his neck trying to show me how this thing worked. After two three or four trys, I picked the guy off the floor, helped him to this car and still he insisted that it was easier to use than it looked.
However, I have a lot of repect for Steven Ellis and if he says it’s a good thing - well, I believe him. But, might I add a disclaimer for this product which should read:
CAUTION - EXTREME CARE SHOULD BE USED AROUND
COACHES WHO ARE 65 YEARS OLD AND BEYOND.

[quote=“kc86”]I dont think the study shows that the bodyblade is better, but it does show that it would be a good addition to your training program.

But the statistician in me feels like pointing out that the sample grouping is too small to extrapolate any meaningful data (ie. saying that it would definitely benefit everyone as much as the study states).[/quote]

It’s not better, but it’s a nice compliment. I wouldn’t replace the lightweight dumbbell exercises (Jobes) or tubing with the Bodyblade. Those exercises still should be the core of any pitcher’s shoulder conditioning program. BUT, the bodyblade is a great add-on. So is another training implement that I’ll include the workout for in an article called the b.o.i.n.g. it’s a physical therapy device that’s the bodyblade shoulder equivalent for the elbow.

So this workout for the bodyblade and BOING can be addd right into tuff cuff phase 2 or phase 3 ???

How many exercises would be ok with the body blade to add to the day I do dumbell for the shoulder?