Bobby Peterson Pitching Analysis

Welcome to the forum. A couple of things to get you started:

1. Get your leg lift higher. Most pitchers lift their knee up to a max height of about 60-70% of their body height. At a minimum, you want to get the thigh of your lift leg parallel to the ground.

2. Would like to see you get more momentum and a longer stride moving forward toward the target. Find that sweet spot with your stride length where you get as far out as possible but are also able to land and release the baseball with your head over your stride foot knee.

Absolutely needs a longer, more explosive stride that begins with a stronger leg lift. I know the towel drill is an old cliche, but I still use it when teaching for kids who like to just open their hips and plant their foot for a weak, short stride. The Tom House rule is to have the player go through his motion, mark where his front font is landing, and then step back five foot-lengths as a starting point. Kneel down and put your glove out at the pitchers’ waist level, and instruct him to snap the towel and hit the mitt.

I tell them to bring their front hip at my mitt and really feel themselves accelerating down the slope. Slowly give them a farther target to hit with the towel to lengthen that stride. Make sure they aren’t just jumping down the mound (younger kids like to do this), and that the drive is coming from staying closed longer and creating force with the back leg.

Mr. Peterson here has to get more explosive down the mound, and I think this would help.

Thank you. Working on knee height and stride. Towel drill ing implemented too. Will post video of progress.

Here are 5 pitches with higher leg lift.
Pitch 3 and 4 happen to him every now and then, not sure why.

He definitely doesn’t consistently finish with a flat back.
Also, after the peak of his lift, he is dropping the knee straight down again before striding out. I differ a bit in my opinion on this type of action. In my opinion, you loose the benefit of the high lift if you drop before striding. Lift to the maximum height at which you can stride out from if you going to wait on getting out there. Personally, I like to get up and out together. I just feel like I’m making the most of my stride that way. I don’t change people over to that method unless I believe it can help in their specific case, but I either get them to move up and out at the same time or I will shape the lift to allow them to immediately get the lead hip forward from the top of the lift.

Some good suggestions from others. The only point I’ll add is to keep the eyes on the target during that rocker step, pivot and leg lift. He turns his head to pick up the target very, very late – in fact isn’t looking at the target at all for the first 30% of his motion. The body goes where the eyes go.

I really appreciate the feedback. The boy is listening to your responses.

The lift and stride look tons better. He’s bending over as an after thought rather than as a smooth continuation after release. It’s got to be a natural part of his follow through.

Wow lot’s of improvement, and quickly too! He’s a good listener. Having the ability to implement feedback in your movement is a huge part of improvement and is a skill in itself. Impressive!

Thanks again for all the feedback. Obvious velocity improvement came along too. By the way, prior to all of this, he would not throw top speed to a batter in fear of hitting him (even though he has not).

Since all the advice we have seen more strikes, less runs, and unrelated 5 runners picked off 2nd base.
Thank you for the evaluations.

Hi guys, here’s 3 more pitches from today… looks like we broke something over the past few months.
I feel like telling him he’s releasing too high.
Not sure if the coach is asking for a curve???

hand break occuring during leg lift
back leg collapse coming into top of lift will result in reduced forward momentum leaking into upward momentum as he comes forward
taking the ball back towards the second baseman instead of 2nd base not striding and aligning on the target line
reaches the cocked position well before foot strike resulting in neutral arm momentum
also the early cocked position results in glove position too low and a weak front side
if you freeze the frame at release, it looks like someone punched him in the stomach, the energy from is foot stride is not getting up the chain–it’s dissipating to the rear. His throw is all arm. Lower half backward, Upper half forward (looks gut punched). His hips are not getting up and over his lower half…they are lagging back.
Also, his hips are still rotating forward toward the target and the ball is already gone. His landing leg appears to be knee facing 3B dugout instead of aligned with the target and he has momentum leaking to the 3rd base line that should be directed toward the plate.

I can think of a perfect drill for him. It’s like the rocker drill except the increase the amount you rock forward and backward and on the 4th move forward, you release the ball. It develops the feel of everything moving on the target line. Then reconstruct the first part of the delivery through to foot strike so that he can feel what true equal and opposite on the target line the whole time feels like.

About the curve ball guess…at full forearm layback we see the outside of his hand and not the ball. Probably a curve ball…but if it was not…that is a velocity bleed for sure. His hand should be behind the ball for his FB to apply the force to the back of the ball through his finger tips.

A few months have passed.
Some time spent throwing 30 pitches 2 times per week.
Any advice for progress in these clips in a scrimmage game?
11yrs old

What I noticed:

1. Significant back leg collapse at start of stride.
  2. Soft glove.
  3. Significant head pull to glove side.

For 1, I’d introduce some bend in the knees and waist. Think batting stance or freethrow shooting position. If his body wants to get to that position, start him off in that position to eliminate all of that movement during his delivery.

For 2, get him to stabilize the glove in front of his torso.

For 3, taking care of 1 and 2 may help a little. Otherwise, he just needs to practice keeping his head upright and eyes locked on the target.

Thanks, tried some pitches tonight. Head issue hard to break… more pitches around the strike zone, appreciate the tips.