Bob Gibson

Anyone have any opinions on his mechanics?

had to be doing something right to throw that hard for that long. he fell off the mound after he let the pitch go but was a gold glove quality fielding pitcher. really rotated to throw the ball.

If you copy his mechanics, as some “experts” believe young pitchers should do, you might throw out your thorax or gall bladder…Like Dusty said, he always looked like he’d spin his self right into the dirt on the first base line. Him and Fergusen Jenkins (Fergie was nice and smooth…A Canadian who won 20 games a year for like 8 years in a row…copy him if you want someone to copy) used to duel like…well they’d duel…for like 4 years they’d match up everytime the Cubs played the Cards…always seemed to end up a 1-0 game…sometimes they’d go 10 or 11 innings. His slider, thrown to Gates Brown of the Tigers in the World Series had likely the biggest break of ANY pitch I’ve ever seen thrown for a strike in 40 years of watching baseball. They really did lower the mound because of him and his 1.02 era. I got to see him throw maybe 5 times that year…no one touched him. Talk about the mental aspects…I don’t know if you have ever heard of Dave Stewart, who used to pitch for Oakland…and was widely thought to be a menacing and intimidating pitcher…but Gibby’d make him wet his britches…he’d put one in your ear…if you looked at him wrong, got too solid a hit or (God help you ) if you homered.

“Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson, he’ll knock you down. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.” - Hank Aaron

So most pitching coaches wouldnt want their student to have mechanics like his?

“So most pitching coaches wouldnt want their student to have mechanics like his?”

Every mothers son of em (Pithching Coaches) would sell their sister in Times Square on New Years Eve (Just kidding…insert favorite pet or best ballglove for sister if you think it’s too harsh an analogy :shock: ) to have what you could see in his eyes at a glance…but no they’d not be so bold as to “Teach” Bob Gibson mechanics…

if you’re interested in throwing the slider, steve carlton’s website has excellent pics and explainations how he threw his. the front of the gus hoefling video shows lefty throwing a slider to a cardinal (it looks like templeton) and he has no chance. you couldn’t foul that thing off with a boat oar. but the grip is unusual.

While his follow-through is crazy, his general mechanics were pretty conventional (and good). Very similar to Nolan Ryan’s.

That’s one reason why he had such a long career.

Some clips I made of Gibson. Check out the hook in the last one.

Thats pretty much how my slider is. Anyone notice it almost looks like hes pulling the ball to move that way with his whole body? Like its on a string attached to him and hes yanking it away from the hitter