Bob Feller?

Was watching the hometown heroes program on ESPN.

Feller said he had the fastest pitch ever clocked at 107.9mph

Can anyone confirm this, or propose another figure from either Feller or another player?

What seemed rediculous is that I’m confident the device used to measure velocity was located at homeplate, so it would have the same effect of lower velocity as a stalker vs a jugs.

I realize Fellar is a pitching immortal, but that would be somewhere around 115 out of his hand.

I suspect the speed was derived via stop watch. He last pitched in the 1956, his best year was 1946…Da** near 350 k’s (Talk about unhittable…still lost 10 and won 26). The state of radar in 1946 would have necessitated he would have faced a dish the would have literally burned him (I can speak to this as an RF Engineer…I saw the results of a guy getting swept with a high powered radar while in the navy…I assure you Bob wouldn’t have survived).
I had always heard rumors that he was unbelievable fast, but not the range that you mentioned. I have heard more than one professional say that players today throw as a group much faster then the guys in the past due to better conditioning and mechanics fine tuning…but my feelings are that the best of the best transcend era’s, in other words Josh Gibson, Babe Ruth, Bob Feller, Nolan Ryan,Bob Gibson, Greg Maddux could have been born anywhere in the baseball timeline and they still would have been thr very best of the best.

I wish I could find the webpage, but I’m pretty sure that the first device used to clock pitches was a tube setup at at homeplate.

The ball would fly through it break the plain, and get a reading.

I’ll link if I can locate it.
I want to say Feller, and Walter Johnson were the two names I saw put with the article.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]I wish I could find the webpage, but I’m pretty sure that the first device used to clock pitches was a tube setup at at homeplate.

The ball would fly through it break the plain, and get a reading.

I’ll link if I can locate it.
I want to say Feller, and Walter Johnson were the two names I saw put with the article.[/quote]

I think this might be it:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/fastest-pitcher-in-baseball.shtml

I faintly remember the same thing, something like an optical sensor is more like what they would devise. Anyway 107 is way fast anyway you want to look at it. Feller was extrordinary for so many reasons, you just try to win 20 in the bigs as a 16/17 year old…wow, Williams, Dimaggio, omg the American League had some hitters in those days…imagine a junior in high school facing Ted Williams…just astonishing.

Yes, joeg, that was the article I was looking for good call.

And yeah, age seemingly takes Feller from a legend to an Immortal in my book.