Blame it on the mound

So. I made this releif appearance, close game, 8th inning, runners on base… and by that time the mound, which was irregularly steep to begin with, had deep potholes at the foot…

In my 8 or so warmups I couldn’t do enough groundskeeping or adjusting to get comfortable…

well… I pretty much ended up walking the ballpark, losing the game for my team …

Of course, as an athelete, you can’t make excuses, and no one wants to hear it anyway… you just gotta live with the fact that you did bad… fine…take responsibility, over and done…

BUT… now I’ve got this poor performance in my mind, and how should I rationalize it pertaining to my own confidence … I mean, should I be concerned that there is something terribly off with my mechanics? should I worry that I’ve simply lost it??

Not to mention the coach probably thinks I’m a big choke artist…

It’s not like our starting pitcher was having control problems before I cam in …

However, the other teams starter, he walked the ball park too and was pulled in the second inning …

I am haunted by the memory of this game!

you gotta forget about it and put it behind you. one bad outing isnt gonna ruin your season go out there the next time and prove to everyone that you can come through.

Thanks… I’m thinking I should just blow it off, not look too seriously into it…

But to have a more generalized conversation here, anyone else ever have a hard time with the structure of a mound… how seriously can it effect you?

It can have a big impact on your pitching in high school our mound at our field was awful. It was so big and had huge holes it was impossible to stay balanced and i know a coach from another school that i talked to said they went to play a team and he took one look at there mound and said either that gets fixed or we arent playing so yeah bad mounds can have a big effect on ur pitching.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]Thanks… I’m thinking I should just blow it off, not look too seriously into it…

But to have a more generalized conversation here, anyone else ever have a hard time with the structure of a mound… how seriously can it effect you?[/quote]

Yeah I have had some problems with it (actually a lot of problems). I’m the type of guy that if the mound has a hole or whatever ireggularity I cannot pitch without thinking about it… Sometimes it does really have an impact on how you finish your delivery or it does affect your balance, but sometimes you just start thinking too much about it, and it’s not even affecting your mechanics that much.

But you should, and you must, forget it. Everyone will have a bad performance once in a while. There are some days that nothing works. Your mechanics are off, the field is not on it’s best days…

Next time you have a problem with the field I would suggest you to ask time and tell the umpire about it. Maybe they can do something to fix it and you won’t have to deal with those things again.

what they said is exactly right, just forget about that game, because if you let that hinder you then it could be all down hill from here…not to be negative…lol…and I’m the same way with a mound. I pitch high school and am extremely picky, I want the mound to be perfect BUT if its not then you can’t think about it. Don’t think about your balane or your mechanics or anything just go up there concentrate on the hitter at hand, that pitch that moment, and you’ll forget all about how bad the mound really is…