Billy Wagner!

I get to meet Billy Wagner!! He’s doing some chairity work in Bluefield, VA and I live very close to there. My stepdad’s brother works at the place he is going to be. I am going to get some good advice. What questions do you guys want me to ask?

Lucky you!!

I’d ask him how he manages to be so explosive with his rotation. Is it just sheer intent or does he attribute much of it to momentum in the stride?

No problem, I have a couple good ones myself to ask. The big day is Saturday!! I’m soo excited, this will be this first MLB pitcher I have ever met before.

White sox, congrats on being able to meet Wagner. If you remember or get the chance could you ask him if he naturally breaks his hands where/when he does or if this was something that was drilled into him. My own son has a very very similar handbreak and is a lefty as well, they have many similarities in regards to their delivery, thanks!

Glad to see you think it’s a big deal. It is, take in every second and listen. You may not have a chance to ask all of your questions but pay close heed to what he says. Most of all enjoy the moment.

Thanks guy, I actually wrote your questions down. As well as the few that I have. It is like a once in a lifetime deal. Thanks for the Q’s I will learn from all of yall’s. I will ask every question you request.

Hey guys, met Billy Wagner and he was really cool. I had him sign my homerun ball that I hit last year and told him I pitched also and he talked to me for about 10mins. Felt like it went by so fast. But I did manage to tell him I visit a forum and told him you guys had some questions, “I had them written down lol.” And first I asked him your question dm59.

[quote]Lucky you!!

I’d ask him how he manages to be so explosive with his rotation. Is it just sheer intent or does he attribute much of it to momentum in the stride? [/quote] He awnsered me like this: He said,“Well alot of it was carried over from highschool and college and me and my pitching coach help me with my mechanics and over the years it became part of me. But with my fastball I intend to put as much as I can into it.”

[quote]White sox, congrats on being able to meet Wagner. If you remember or get the chance could you ask him if he naturally breaks his hands where/when he does or if this was something that was drilled into him. My own son has a very very similar handbreak and is a lefty as well, they have many similarities in regards to their delivery, thanks! [/quote] Chinmusic I asked him this question and he just kind of paused for a second and said, “I developed the basics of my mechanics as a kid. When you do something for so long like pitching it becomes part of you. As far as breaking my hand I developed that as I got older around the age of 12 or 13. It is natural for me breaking my hand,about midway to the plate is when I seem to notice it. If I tried to change it I’m sure I wouldn’t be the pitcher that I am.”

I asked him one question: I asked what he was thinking when he got on the mound. And he said,"The same thing every other pitcher probably is on the mound, I gotta get this guy out in 4 pitches or less. I was amazed at how nice he was. Just like you and me only he made $10,500,000 last year pitching. He was happy to awnser all of our questions and wished us all the best with pitching. Hope you guys got the awnsers you wanted. I had a blast. Later,WhiteSox101 :slight_smile:

WhiteSox101
Thanks for asking our questions. That’s an “interview” to remember. Living here in Nova Scotia, I get no opportunities at all like that one.

2 interesting answers.

Firstly, on my question about explosiveness, he used Paul Nyman’s favourite answer, INTENT. He WANTS to be explosive and throw hard.

Secondly, on Chin’s question, I noticed that he said he notices his hand break at “about mid-way to the plate”. Interesting answer. He’s not trying to do it in any specific “location” but with specific “timing”. I think that’s a very different approach than we’re used to seeing on this and other boards.

I agree totally, and it was no problem at all. Anytime. I was also impressed with the awnsers he gave also. I enjoyed it very much. I wasn’t planning on meeting him,the oppurtunity just kind of popped up and took the chance. I grew up close to his hometown and luckly his charity is close by. I think I like the Mets now more than I used to.

heres a weird question i guess. was he a legit 5-11 or did they tack on a few inches on his profile

Well,I’m 5’11’‘and 3/4 and we were about eyelevel so I’d say he was about 5’11’’ atleast.

Wow, that’s awesome that you had a chance to meet him… It’s too bad I didn’t see this thread sooner, dangn’t!

I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but as a Mets fan, I woulda asked him “why can’t you perform in the playoffs!!!”

Sorry man. I would have loved to ask a question for you. I wish I could meet him again. You never know mabey it’ll happen again.

It’s interesting that Wagner seems to focus on when and where he breaks his hands, rather than how. IOW, Wagner seems to be more focused on timing than on arm action. Paul Nyman is extremely, and in my opinion excessively, focused on how one breaks his hands.

I agree,I expect to see Wagner do really well this spring. I like focusing on timing rather than location. If you focus on timing your mechanics don’t have to be rushed just because you get to a certain location. I though all of Wagner’s awnsers were interesting in a unique way. He is unlike any pitcher that I have met, (he is the only pro pitcher I have met and had words with) but I like his style,and I intend to look into him.

[quote=“WhiteSox101”]Hey guys, met Billy Wagner and he was really cool. I had him sign my homerun ball that I hit last year and told him I pitched also and he talked to me for about 10mins. Felt like it went by so fast. But I did manage to tell him I visit a forum and told him you guys had some questions, “I had them written down lol.” And first I asked him your question dm59.

[quote]Lucky you!!

I’d ask him how he manages to be so explosive with his rotation. Is it just sheer intent or does he attribute much of it to momentum in the stride? [/quote] He awnsered me like this: He said,“Well alot of it was carried over from highschool and college and me and my pitching coach help me with my mechanics and over the years it became part of me. But with my fastball I intend to put as much as I can into it.”

[quote]White sox, congrats on being able to meet Wagner. If you remember or get the chance could you ask him if he naturally breaks his hands where/when he does or if this was something that was drilled into him. My own son has a very very similar handbreak and is a lefty as well, they have many similarities in regards to their delivery, thanks! [/quote] Chinmusic I asked him this question and he just kind of paused for a second and said, “I developed the basics of my mechanics as a kid. When you do something for so long like pitching it becomes part of you. As far as breaking my hand I developed that as I got older around the age of 12 or 13. It is natural for me breaking my hand,about midway to the plate is when I seem to notice it. If I tried to change it I’m sure I wouldn’t be the pitcher that I am.”

I asked him one question: I asked what he was thinking when he got on the mound. And he said,"The same thing every other pitcher probably is on the mound, I gotta get this guy out in 4 pitches or less. I was amazed at how nice he was. Just like you and me only he made $10,500,000 last year pitching. He was happy to awnser all of our questions and wished us all the best with pitching. Hope you guys got the awnsers you wanted. I had a blast. Later,WhiteSox101 :)[/quote]

Thankyou Whitesox!!! Good stuff

No problem at all. If there is anything I can do to help any of you just let me know. Wheather it be a PM, my AIM:KeenanB13 or my e-mail address KeenanB13@aol.com. Thanks for keeping up with the post. :slight_smile:

I was lucky enough to be in the pen with him as he got ready to go into the game (years ago, topping out at 102mph) when he was still with the Astros. What I found so impressive was how well he could use his body as one continuous piece. I could tell he wasn’t caught up in anything but getting the total move/throw to flow.

You can see (in a lot of pitchers deliveries) the point at which they decide to throw. With Wagner it was so smooth you would think it was one piece from start to finish.

Like a smooth freight train :wink: . He has definitely mastered his “singular action” IMO.

rhp

I totally agree. Ofcourse I met him at his charity, but he was nice to talk to and gave me some awnsers to my questions. Nice guy. Now he only throws about 94-95mph. Still not bad.