Big news!

The school trainer came through for me, as she was able to get me a doctor w/o me paying insurance. I should be seeing him on friday. But, if he dosent clear me, then I will NOT be able to tryout for the team on the designated tryout day. But I think I will be able to tryout later on in the season when I’m healthy.

Also, I threw the baseball around today. Weird, because I didnt feel pain in my shoulder, I just felt pain in my upper bicep, like near the arm pit. But I think that still means I have some tendinitis in my rotator cuff (I know its not a tear because I still have full range of motion).

The one thing I am afraid of is not being able to tryout later on in the season. I just don’t want to risk not being let on the team. Idk, should I just follow the doctors orders if he dosent clear me to tryout? Or maybe I could just tryout, make the team, and then follow the doctors orders afterwards. Thoughts?

[quote=“Redsox05Repeat”]The school trainer came through for me, as she was able to get me a doctor w/o me paying insurance. I should be seeing him on friday. But, if he dosent clear me, then I will NOT be able to tryout for the team on the designated tryout day. But I think I will be able to tryout later on in the season when I’m healthy.

Also, I threw the baseball around today. Weird, because I didnt feel pain in my shoulder, I just felt pain in my upper bicep, like near the arm pit. But I think that still means I have some tendinitis in my rotator cuff (I know its not a tear because I still have full range of motion).

The one thing I am afraid of is not being able to tryout later on in the season. I just don’t want to risk not being let on the team. Idk, should I just follow the doctors orders if he dosent clear me to tryout? Or maybe I could just tryout, make the team, and then follow the doctors orders afterwards. Thoughts?[/quote]

Talk to the coach to see if you can tryout later.

Great news, Red! So glad you got a chance to see the doc. Now, why would you go through all of that, including getting that nice lady from your school to call in favors for you, and then disregard his advice?

What I’d like to see you do is tell the coach the situation, ask him if you can try out without throwing so he can see your glove, speed, athleticism, great attitude, and hitting (if possible) , and see if that’s enough to get a provisional spot on the team. It seems it would be more likely if he has seen you throw before, but if you’re really athletic, and you show great attitude and work ethic, he might make an exception.

Most coaches I have had and have worked with will not grant a player an opportunity that other kids have not had, i.e., a tryout after the roster is set. Your coach may be different, so ask him. Either way, disregarding your doctor’s advice is probably not the way to go.

Hose

yeah you guys are right, and ive always felt that going against the doctors orders is disrespectful. I’ll definitely tell my coach the news on friday (appointment is tomorrow 1-9-08).

besides that, shoulder and upper bicep near armpit is VERY SORE. Definitely no more throwing until told otherwise.

glad to hear the shoulder is getting better.

good luck with appointment tomorrow :wink:.

I saw the doctor today, and I am feeling very happy about it.

He diagnosed me with posterior capsule tightness. and slight bicep and supraspinitus tendinitis.

He gave me a program with some stretches (feels very good btw) and a couple of strengthening exercises. The reason he knows what hes talking about: Hes worked with the doctor that operated on Curt Schilling’s SLAP tear back in the early 90’s. Also, he has worked with many ball players over the past 3 years, and he has had quite a few players with around the same problem as me. He also showed me what goes on when I’m pitching with my injury. The one thing he did fear was me having a SLAP tear, but he said it was highly unlikely. Finally, he said that if I do the program 2 times a day for the next 2-3 weeks, I’ll be feeling better.

My overall rating on the visit: 10 out of 10.

Sounds like great news. Glad to hear it!

Well done, Red! You showed maturity and courage to go to the doctor even though you feared what you might hear. That’s what growing up is all about. It’s also what makes good pitchers and good men.

Good luck and have fun, bro.

Hose

Glad to hear you’re getting things on the right track!