Big game

ok in a couple days i will be pitching a really big game vs a really tough team. if i do good that game i would probaly be moved up to the varsity team for my highschool. any tips you guys can give me to stay focused and feel enegerized all day and be ready to play good and tough.

Hit your spots and feel good about your game plan knowing that you are prepared to pitch in this game.
Think of it as just another game

Well one of the things that can definately help or hurt your performance may seem pretty simple. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Some studies have shown that a rediculous amount of athletes (close to 75-80%) compete when they are already dehydrated. This affects their performance so that they are not competing as well as they possibly can. The hydrating process should start the day before including drinking plenty of water before you go to bed and as soon as you wake up the next morning. As I said, something little and simple but it can definately help you out.

Whether or not you get moved up to varsity is out of your control. Don’t worry about it and don’t focus on it.

Focus on staying loose, hitting your spots and trying to get outs.

Just do your thing, if they’re thinking about moving you up you’ve been doing something they like. Just keep doing it whatever it is you’ve been doing. Hit your spots and don’t get to worked up about the game.

Here are a few things I tell my guys…

• Don’t give them anything to hit.
  • Keep the ball down (and ideally away).
  • Trust your defense and don’t be afraid to give up grounders.
  • Don’t try to blow everyone away. A K is good however you get it.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
Here are a few things I tell my guys…

• Keep the ball down (and ideally away).
  • Don’t try to blow everyone away. A K is good however you get it.[/quote]

From a sports psych perspective, you never want to come up with mental cues that have the words “don’t” or “no” in them. As crazy as this sounds, the reason for that is that the mind does not easily recognize those words. So I struggle to accept the first and last recommendations. The bottom line is that if you don’t give them anything to hit, you are pitching away from contact. That is the exact opposite of what pitchers should be thinking and trying to do. The bottom line is, execute your pitches, throw to a target, stay composed, field your position, and let the outcomes fall as they may.

The hardest thing that I have done in my days of playing baseball has been learning that pitching is not outcome based. The statistics of it are, but the actual action of pitching is not. If you execute your pitch perfectly, then you have done your job. If the hitter hits it 600 ft., then he has done his job. So whether you win or you lose, you pitch a shutout or you get shelled, the bottom line is did you execute as well as you could have.

hmmmmm…

Even more important than “trusting your stuff” and “staying within yourself,” you must develop consistent patterns in your daily routines. Eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, take a shower, etc., all at roughly the same time every day. Develop a routine. Don’t change it, lock it in. This will help your body know when to start gearing up to pitch. Some call it superstition, but in my mind, it’s just being consistent … and consistency breeds success.

Stay within your self and do those things that you have already been successful with. Relax! Your first goals is keep your JV team in the game so that they have a chance to win. Ian.