Big at a young age

hey i’m a guy lookin for all kinds of help. i think i’m one of those kids that stops growing in middle school. i’m going into 10th grade and i’m around 6 feet tall. my parents are both EXTREMELY short so i think thats all the height ill be able to work with. i’m always been the big kid with the big fastball but now everyone is shooting by me. when a kid has a growth spurt and gains velocity on his fastball. is it because of his new height or strenghth? and how would a guy like me go around improving more than kids that also have growth spurts on their side?

Hey! Hold on there!
You say you’re about six feet tall, and everyone around you is shooting up. All right, so they’re going to be 6’4", 6’5" Think a minute—they might get to be taller than you, but that could mean they might have some pitching problems that you don’t have. At six feet you’re a good height, and you probably have some pretty good mechanics and some pretty good stuff. I would suggest that you concentrate on refining those things.
Let me tell you something. Velocity on a fast ball isn’t the only thing. In fact, it’s not as important as control—location—getting the pitch to go where you want it to go. You don’t say what your fast ball speed is, but I would say if you can throw around 85 you’re in good shape. How about adding a couple of breaking pitches to your arsenal?—and there are plenty to choose from: curve ball, knuckle-curve, a whole shelf full of changeups, maybe a split-finger pitch (I would wait till about 16 before experimenting with the slider)—the possibilities are almost endless. The key to all of those is control, and that’s something you can work on and perfect.
When I was a little snip, about twelve or so, I would get hold of a catcher, and either he would mark off a home plate and a 60’6" pitcher’s rubber or if we could get to an unused playing field I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate. We would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, the purpose of which was to sharpen up my control—but it also gave me a fine opportunity to work on a few pitches. The catcher would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head ( :lol: ), and I would have to get the ball into the pocket of the mitt. I was a 5’4" sidearmer, about 125 pounds—that’s really a little snip—and I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, so I really worked on things like the curve ball, the palm ball, the knuckle curve and a couple of changeups—and what a nice satisfying feeling it was when I heard the ball go “thwack” into the pocket of that mitt. When I was sixteen I welcomed a good slider into my arsenal, thanks to a Yankee pitcher who took the time to show me how to throw it, and it became my strikeout pitch.
And not a sore arm in the lot. So I tell you, don’t worry about your height. Just work on refining your mechanics and adding stuff to your repertoire, sharpen up your control, and GET THOSE @#$%^&* BATTERS OUT! You’ll do fine. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

I think that when you have grown so much then stop, if it was a large amount of growing there is a coordination issue that will resolve itself with time. Sometimes large kids actually do not work as much as the smaller ones, and when they grow, they have solid mechanics and the big guys have done what has given them success for so long, but now is revealed to be maybe bad mechanics. I recommend that if you can get hitting or pitching instruction at a place near you, then it may be a good idea to see if maybe you have developed any bad habits. Coaches actually encourage these bad habits because the large kid has success doing it and the coach doesn’t want to mess with it. You can post video in the mechanics section and see if anyone can help see something, or you can go to an instructor. If these guys do not see anything I would just wait for my body to adjust to itself.

There are different ways to get the job done. That’s why Zita is such a valuable influence at LTP. (5’4" 125 lbs) Consider that carefully.

I can tell you that some of the most effective pitchers I have ever seen are at or around 6’. And don’t count out the late growth spurt, I never made 6’ and one of my kids is 6’8". No jokes about the UPS, fedex or postman please! :twisted:

By the way…

Zita …your language :oops: ?