Bicep Soreness when Pitching

Dear Steve,

Thanks for addressing my problem. I am 32 and for the first time, I am having arm problems. I throw a fastball ( cut and 4 seamer, max at 85), curveball, splitter and change up.I had a several year lay off, before returning to play (I played last year and this year). I am very active, in terms of running and weights. My arm does not hurt when I play long toss or when I warm up. Normally, it hurts after I through about 30 pitches or so from the mound. I have no problems with my shoulder, just bicep tightness that hurts badly enough that I cannot throw more than 1 inning and usually the pain lingers on for a day or 2 after I throw. I have tried to make sure that I am not gripping the baseball too tightly and that I have a sufficient enough warm up. I play short stop when I don’t pitch relief. I am wondering if playing infield could be causing some problems or could it
be as simple as curveball mechanics. When my arm starts hurting I don’t lose any velocity, the pain just becomes too much to handle. Also, could it be that it is some shoulder pain that is simply referring to my bicep?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

you sure it’s the bicep, or is it more the front of the elbow, where your arm creases when you bend the elbow??

I don’t know about bicep pain, that sounds odd, like maybe there’s some kind of nerve damage in the shoulder that radiate into the bicep? I dunno…

But if it’s the front of the elbow as I described, I used to get that and it was because I was rotating my shoulders too early … at least I think that was the cause, because I don’t get it anymore now that I’ve delayed my rotation somewhat…

[quote=“tommer”]I am 32 and for the first time, I am having arm problems. I throw a fastball ( cut and 4 seamer, max at 85), curveball, splitter and change up.I had a several year lay off, before returning to play (I played last year and this year). I am very active, in terms of running and weights. My arm does not hurt when I play long toss or when I warm up. Normally, it hurts after I through about 30 pitches or so from the mound. I have no problems with my shoulder, just bicep tightness that hurts badly enough that I cannot throw more than 1 inning and usually the pain lingers on for a day or 2 after I throw. I have tried to make sure that I am not gripping the baseball too tightly and that I have a sufficient enough warm up. I play short stop when I don’t pitch relief. I am wondering if playing infield could be causing some problems or could it
be as simple as curveball mechanics. When my arm starts hurting I don’t lose any velocity, the pain just becomes too much to handle. Also, could it be that it is some shoulder pain that is simply referring to my bicep?[/quote]

Have you been to a doctor? If not, you should.

It is most likely related to a problem with your shoulder rather than your bicep. The bicep attaches into the shoulder and you could get referred pain. Chris Carpenter has had this problem.

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

I get this problem to except it doesnt last as long and doesnt occur everytime I pitch. I also play shortstop and sometimes my bicept would be killing me after two or three innings and sometimes I would have abosultly no pain. could this be from overuse as it has never happened in my life and like tommy said I think it could be related to my arm motion while playing SS and 3B. What should I do

If you do have bicep pain where the bicep connects to the shoulder, what is causing that? Is it do to a mechanical flaw? reaching too far back? flying open?

Or is it just something that happens from not throwing for awhile?

hey mate,
I use to also get this pain (ive had alot of diff pains). The thing that fixed this for we was to gain a bit of strength in my biceps. And in between innings i would stretch it out. A stretch that i would highly reccomend is put your arm straight out (beside you, not in front, like a bird), turn your thumb towards the ground, now go to a pole and place the front of your hand on the pole and push…kinda a dodgy explanation, sorry its the best i could think of. I did this in between innings and it helped alot. Let us know how you go.

Dear Steve,
My son also gets pain in his bicep…but only for the first inning or maybe two, then the pain seems to go away. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? He is fairly young(14) but is 6’2 165lbs. He throws in the low 80’s maxing out at 85

the stretch i posted does the trick…