Bicep/Elbow/Forearm Pain

I am having some serious arm trouble with my bicep in the elbow region, at least what I believe is the elbow. I have already had UCL problems, and I know this is unrelated. I had experienced the pain in my start about 2 weeks ago. I had a one week layoff until my next start which gave the pain time to go away. The start felt good with no pain before/during or after the game. However, it’s been three days and I just returned from a shortened bullpen. During my pen my bicep and forearm began to cramp, 1 hour later they are still too tight to even straighten my arm. Also, there is some pain on “top” of my elbow, where the elbow bends up, it is almost exactly on the vain where they typically draw blood. My question is, is there any reason for my forearm/bicep to be cramping/tightening up the way it has been? I visited the Dr. when I first experienced the pain, and he believed it was just tired muscles, but I believe it is more. While reading my MRI notes, from before I had tommy john, he mentioned that I had signs of strains in my forearm, (when I had my MRI I hadn’t thrown for about 2 months). Could this be the issue this time? Any insight would be appreciated. Pitcher

How old are you?

What pitches do you throw?

How much do you pitch during the week?

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

Exactly what did the notes on the MRI say? Did they mention any muscles?

I think that you are right to be cautious. I would go to a different MD (one who specializes in sports medicine). I don’t think the first one knows what he is talking about.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
How old are you?

What pitches do you throw?

How much do you pitch during the week?

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

Exactly what did the notes on the MRI say? Did they mention any muscles?

I think that you are right to be cautious. I would go to a different MD (one who specializes in sports medicine). I don’t think the first one knows what he is talking about.[/quote]

I am 20 y/o.

I throw fastball, splitty, circle change, and curveball.

My regimen since spring season started at my JUCO was typically:
Day 1: Starting Pitcher (7-9 innings)
Day 2: Off day, running, icing
Day 3: Pen (25-35 pitches)
Day 4: Long toss, flatground work
Day 5: Bullpen (35-40 pitches)
Day 6: Long toss, flatground work
Day 7: Flatground work

I do not have video of myself throwing recently, but I have a start Saturday if my arm is feeling well enough, and I plan on taping it to see if my mechanics are causing it (reaching back too far? short arming?). When I first begin throwing there is no pain at all, but it starts to get sore (cramping/tightening) after about 20 pitches. The notes did mention strains in the forearm muscle, I have not had a recent MRI, but to plan on getting one within the next couple of weeks. I am fairly fresh off of tommy john, and I think it’s safe to say that this injury is not ligament related. Thanks, Michael

Could it be that you are unknowingly protecting the repaired part of your arm by babying it and inadvertantly over-stressing another part of your arm? Or maybe you have altered your mechanics and that is causin the new problem(s)?

That is what I am leaning towards at this time. It baffles me that it is just now occuring after a 50 game season. However, I plan on getting video of my mechanics at the next game, if I feel well at that time, and hopefully I can get some analysis. I know my mechanics have changed post surgery, but that is because I was pretty much forced to, don’t want to continue doing things the way that caused me to get injured. Game is tomorrow so I will try to get some video clips on my computer this weekend.

Well I on Saturday pain free. Pitched all 9 and it felt good for the most part. Felt better towards the latter part of the game. I did videotape it so I will attempt to get a few clips on here, would still like to have my delivery evaluated. Was quite a game. The other pitcher was a Dodger draftee and we didn’t manage to score until the bottom of the 9th. We did take the game 1-0 though. Better late than never I suppose.