Between game workout questions

hey raiderbb—what kind of schedule/# pitches/stretching/etc. is good for pre-curve age kids.My son is a very good pitcher,but I want to be careful with him.He has the desire to practice more than I think is good,but I want him to practice enough to be the best he can be.He is almost 11–we simulate innings,actual# of warmup pitches,etc. when we do practice.Its hard to keep a count and catch.What I`m looking for is #-pitches–days off–%max velocity,etc.He is prob throwing 50 hard now on “game day” but it isnt season yet and were working up.suggestions anyone??

[quote=“bennysdad”]hey raiderbb—what kind of schedule/# pitches/stretching/etc. is good for pre-curve age kids.My son is a very good pitcher,but I want to be careful with him.He has the desire to practice more than I think is good,but I want him to practice enough to be the best he can be.He is almost 11–we simulate innings,actual# of warmup pitches,etc. when we do practice.Its hard to keep a count and catch.What I`m looking for is #-pitches–days off–%max velocity,etc.He is prob throwing 50 hard now on “game day” but it isnt season yet and were working up.suggestions anyone??[/quote

Pitch Counts/Rest & Recovery For 11 Year Olds Recommended by
American Sports Medicine Institute & USA Baseball Medical Safety Advisory Board

Maximum Pitches Per Game: 68
Maximun Games Pitched Per Week: 2
Recovery Times By Pitch Count:
1 - 27 Pitches - 1 Days Rest
28 - 35 Pitches - 2 Days Rest
36 - 55 Pitches - 3 Days Rest
58 - 68 Pitches - 4 days Rest
Personally I would limit him to one starting pitching appearence per week and add in one good strong 50-60 pitch bullpen after the appropriate rest & recovery period. He can throw every day if he wants to, but that means playing catch, regular inf/outf practice , playing a bit of long toss, regular games etc.

Keeping track of his bullpen pitch counts is easier if you “block” his workout. This simply means that you block his routine into sets of 5 pitches. Then he stops for a one minute break while you write down his counts, balls or strikes. Then go onto the next set. You can start 4 seam fastballs low and away for the first set, then 4 seam fast balls up & inf, 2 seamers down & in, changes ups away etc.
DO this for the first 30 pitches or so at around 75% effort then move on to pitching to hitters for the last 20-30 pitches at game speed effort. Rest one minute between hitters.

Do light tubing exercises before he throws and after each pitching/ bullpen outing. It’s not too soon to start working on body weight exercises to strengthen his core.

Get him to do some sort of cardio BEFORE he picks up a ball to throw.
You warm uo to throw, you don’t throw to warm up.

Your son loves to pitch and that is a wonderful thing. He may want to pitch every chance he gets and on multiple teams because he is good and he feeels like his arm is bullet proof. Only you can protect him from himself and over zelous coaches. Let me know if this is what you were after.