Better: Sit-Ups or Crunches?

whats better? and how many a day?

Millions.

I would rather do almost any ab exercise other than crunches and/or sit ups.

Just google ‘ab workout’.

listen…

wait for it…

hmm, I’m not hearing anything, maybe because you shouldn’t be doing either one. Seriously, this has been discussed 120023423 times, and I think people even asked it about 3 or 4 days ago. If you can’t do some of the most basic research like this on your own I don’t know what to tell you.

t-nation.com is a start. Read any article on training the "core. "

I’ve done lots of crunches and never had any neck problems… I don’t know how you manage to hurt your back/neck doing them.

Which exercises do you prefer for abs Lanky?

What is wrong with situps? We do 100 med ball sit ups a day. Crunches are worthless because they are not functional.

squats.

deadlifts.

medicine ball wood chops

till the cows come home

listen… everything in that article is AWESOME!!! you dont need anything else

I have never been a fan of crunches/sit up because they only focus on the front abs and not the back. Focusing on the front will cause a muscle imbalance.

Stevens Tuff Cuff has many crunch variations in it. I think they work.

glad somebody appreciates the genius of that site :slight_smile:

I’m just going to keep referring people to it as they can explain these questions far better than I.

The reason thousands of crunches or sit-ups are bad is because it promotes a kyphotic posture (or rounding) of the thoracic spine. You are in a kyphotic posture right now on your computer leaning in to read this. You want to get good thoracic extension and rotation for optimal velocity. You have to work at it because daily life puts you in a kyphotic posture. The rounding of the back is not optimal for pitching. Think Hunchback of Notre Dame. You know that guy cant throw 90. So why would you do crunches to promote poor posture even more. Also crunches put something like 700 pounds of compression on the spine. Not a good thing. So like everyone said find a better option.

Time to go do some thoracic extensions. :smiley:

[quote=“ChadM”]The reason thousands of crunches or sit-ups are bad is because it promotes a kyphotic posture (or rounding) of the thoracic spine. You are in a kyphotic posture right now on your computer leaning in to read this. You want to get good thoracic extension and rotation for optimal velocity. You have to work at it because daily life puts you in a kyphotic posture. The rounding of the back is not optimal for pitching. Think Hunchback of Notre Dame. You know that guy cant throw 90. So why would you do crunches to promote poor posture even more. Also crunches put something like 700 pounds of compression on the spine. Not a good thing. So like everyone said find a better option.

Time to go do some thoracic extensions. :D[/quote]

I would add that foam rolling can help correct postural inefficiencies as well. The best 20 bucks I’ve spent in a long time.