Beta7

Beta-Alanine

Does anyone know if this is really safe and if it works? Just wondering, because they make it seem like the miracle supplement.

Thanks!

Miracle supplement? Probably not, but effective supplement; yes.
I don’t think miracle supplements exist.
Supplements can make gains come quicker, but you have to be working, and those gains would probably come anyways just longer down the road.

Personally I liked it, I took some before basketball practices. It made suicides at the end of practice way easier to knock out.
I took Body Octane, which contains Beta-alanine as a key ingredient. Overall I thought it was totally worthwhile.
I plan to add beta-alanine to my regimen after I take a break for some vacationing.

Go to pubmed and type beta alanine; 4387 studies. That’s pretty solid, and if you look at TC’s article they have tons of studies to support it as well.

The biggest thing I see is that trainers are also talking about the effectiveness of the product. These guys don’t get cuts from supplement companies, they make their money training people. The better results their clients have the more clients the stand to receive.
Thus people like Eric Cressey and Jimmy Smith talking about how they feel its effective is more legit than ANY ADVERTISEMENT you can find in Flex, Muscle and Fiction, etc.

The fitcast has had a couple episodes discussing beta-alanine. If you have time the episodes are worth a listen to. Great free podcast. They have sponsors but these are trainers, doctors, and athletes that want to get better, not supplement company salesman. I have come to respect their opinions and they seem to really like beta-alanine.

Two great episodes they talked about it;
http://thefitcast.com/index.php?s=beta-alanine
Keep in mind the people talking are competing athletes, trainers, and Chris Mohr is a doctor and bright mind in the nutrition field (also a competing athlete)

Biotest; awesome company, solid prices, especially the buy 2 get 1 beta-7 free+500g creatine. That’s a great deal, I’d probably take them up on it but I would be out of town when my package would arrive.
Keep in mind they are still trying to sell products. But I think it says A LOT about the effectiveness of the product for them to cut such a deal. It says to me that once people try it they will be back time and time again.

I know lots of people just take bulk powder, I believe lbarber does, and I probably will down the road. Just for reference bulk nutrition sells 1000 grams for $60. One bottle of Beta-7 has 180 grams and it’s 48 dollars a pop.

How important biotests “time release tecchnology” is I am unsure. I took body octane which had beta alanine and it was just powder. BO was the best not stimulant energy/focus boost.

I do know the time-release concept will keep you from getting a flush and tingly skin feeling that comes along with beta alanine. Personally I think the feeling is kinda cool, so the time release isn’t as much of a buying point for me. Some people cannot stand the feeling though so in their case the time release concept is awesome.

Never forget that they are still selling a product. However, as far as companies go, Biotest is one of the best, and if you look at their top sales; people keep coming back to them.

Here’s an explanation of Beta-alanine pulled from ManSports (another solid company, makers of Body Octane)

[quote]
MUSCLE CARNOSINE BOOSTERS BETA ALANINE & L-HISTIDINE

Carnosine (beta-alanyl-L-histidine) is a naturally-occurring dipeptide discovered in Russia in 1900 and is made up of amino acids Beta-Alanine and L-Histidine. Carnosine is found in skeletal muscle, heart and brain. Since much of the research with carnosine was performed in Russia, it has been largely unavailable to the Western World until just recently. Carnosine is now becoming more and more recognized for its remarkable potential as a highly effective anti-aging nutrient…But there’s a lot more!

Antioxidant, buffering, free radical scavenging and even neurotransmitter properties are attributed to Carnosine. Carnosine is also found primarily in type II muscle fibres11,12. These are the “fast-twitch” fibres that are important for explosive movements such as sprinting and weight training. Increasing muscle Carnosine concentrations are important to athletes because Carnosine increases intramuscular hydrogen ion (H+) buffering capacity. And the production of H+ is the result of energy release, leading to a burning sensation and muscle fatigue. Basically what this means is that Carnosine increases your ability to work harder by preventing your muscle from becoming too acidic during times of stress by picking up Hydrogen ions. More Carnosine in muscle means you can keep muscle acid in check and train harder and longer.13

Another thing you need to know about Carnosine is that it is a natural substrate for the production of Nitric Oxide18. In fact it is the true substrate for NOS (nitric oxide synthase) activity, which is the true enzyme that is responsible for generating Nitric Oxide. Are you starting to see what a versatile and truly remarkable compound Carnosine is? There is more.

Carnosine prevents muscular injuries and speeds up recovery times in sports. An explanation to this is that high-intensity performance causes oxidative stress in the muscles and this result in depleted Carnosine stores. The free radicals produced through high intensity muscular activity cause lipid peroxidation as well as carbonylation of proteins and phospholipids.

This causes proteins to break up in a process known as proteolysis. Since protein carbonylation precedes the loss of membrane integrity, it may be associated with the toxic process leading to cell aging and fatality. Carnosine combats these reactions if there is enough of it in the muscles.

So why not start mega dosing Carnosine? Dietary intake of Carnosine gets broken down into the amino acids Beta-Alanine and Histidine and in turn gets resynthesized into Carnosine in the muscle. Carnosine biosynthesis is dependent on availability of Beta-Alanine and L-Histidine. If truth be told, a deficiency in L-Histidine reduces muscle Carnosine levels, while supplementation with it increases Carnosine levels14,15,16. Another study done on Beta-Alanine and L-Histidine for 30 days increased muscle Carnosine by 13%17!

The take home message is this. Oral supplementation of Carnosine can lead to increased concentrations of Carnosine. Supplementation with Beta-Alanine and L-Histidine may prove to be a more effective way for getting the benefits of elevated levels of Carnosine. And with these elevated levels of Carnosine, increased athletic performance, and a great deal more is the result.[/quote]

As far as safety, I have yet to see anything negative on it. But this is a product that hasn’t been around that long. So there isn’t conclusive research on extremely longterm supplementation of the product.

I do know it already naturally exists in basically everyone’s diet. It’s in chicken and various other things. However you would have to eat pounds of food to get the same benefit that the pure supplement provides.

Wow, thank you for all that. i appreciate the time you took to explain it.
I have a couple questions though.
First, does it like speed up muscle developement, besides just helping you to workout longer and harder?
Also, from what ive heard through people who have used creatine, that it (creatine) helps you bulk up because it puts water in the muscles. So once they were off the stuff, they lost size and quickly. Is there any type of after-effect from Beta-alanine? Like, when youre off it, since your bodyis used to having that extra boost, you actually lose energy because its gone? or anything like that?

again, thanks for the help!

Would it be safe to take both Creatine AND Beta Alanine during your workouts? Or would it be better to stick to just one, and if so which one would you suggest?

You dont have to take anything to be good.

[quote=“SP1B”]Wow, thank you for all that. i appreciate the time you took to explain it.
I have a couple questions though.
First, does it like speed up muscle developement, besides just helping you to workout longer and harder?
Also, from what ive heard through people who have used creatine, that it (creatine) helps you bulk up because it puts water in the muscles. So once they were off the stuff, they lost size and quickly. Is there any type of after-effect from Beta-alanine? Like, when youre off it, since your bodyis used to having that extra boost, you actually lose energy because its gone? or anything like that?

again, thanks for the help![/quote]

Hmmm, I feel like you may be misinterpreting cause and effect to some degree in your first question.

The working longer and harder increases the stimulus put on your muscles. The body adapts itself to a stimulus.
The rate at which you muscles grow is controlled by hormones. You do not want to mess with these, and beta-alanine and/or creatine will not. By increasing your work capacity you can put together more high quality sets.
It’s that extra time-under-tension and also force generated that increases the stimulus that makes your muscles want to grow further. This stimulus triggers your body to ultimately make your muscles grow and adapt. The extra stimulus can make your body increase it’s natural output of GH and Test though. There’s nothing wrong with that, your body is just adapting to meet it’s needs.

Creatine is often refered to as a plateau buster. That’s why it’s generally excepted that if you are new to working out you don’t need it necessarily. By increasing your working sets/reps you can break through a weight that you had been stuck on.
Beta-alanine can be looked at somewhat the same way. But there’s also evidence that it reduced muscle trauma and stuff so that you can recover faster too.

The people that told you about creatine wearing off are mising it’s purpose. And actually never added any muscle mass it would appear. Yes creatine increases your body’s retention of water, for most people it seems to be somewhere in the ballpark of 5-8lbs of extra weight. This is 100% Independant of the muscle you put on. When you put on muscle that stays, until you quit lifting. Muscle is technically innefficient in terms of survival so once you remove the lifting stimulus that is the only time you should loose muscle really.
Also it should take around a month for your body to return to baseline after taken creatine. I don’t know what you define as quickly per say.
People seem to interpret the purpose of creatine as to put water into your muscles or something of that nature. It’s more of a by-product of the process.

You do not actually loose lean body mass when you go off creatine and the same holds true for beta-alanine.
Once you stop supplementing beta-alanine your muscle carnosine stores will return to baseline over time. When these carnosine stores lower you will probably loose some of your work capacity, but not energy per say. Energy has more to do with the central nervous system and various hormones.

Hope that helps, let me know if I’ve created any more questions.
I am no doctor or anything this is just lots of research from papers put together by doctors, trainers, scientists, ect.

Take a look at these studies, they show creatine and beta-alanine together and producing greater results than just one of the two on it’s own.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17136944&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16953366&ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The two benefits are achieved through different methods, so there shouldn’t be a problem combining the two. It actually seems to be a very popular combination. I have taken both simaltaneously. They aren’t going to react with eachother or anything like that either. In fact it’s been stated that chicken contains both creatine and beta-alanine. Granted they aren’t negligable amounts, your probably consuming both together regularly. But again, the amounts are minimal so they would not enhance performance.

In response to your PM about when to take it:
Beta-alanine is more of a pre-workout supplement. However it’s actually accepted to have it in your body throughout the day and many people take a couple grams pre-during-and post workout.

Creatine is generally post workout. I believe there’s research showing it’s ore effective post workout although I can’t locate it at this very moment. When you take it post workout you are replenishing the stores that burned off during your workout. The stores have been built up for your workout but used up during. So post-workout you build them again.

I will state again;
Hope that helps, let me know if I’ve created any more questions.
I am no doctor or anything this is just lots of research from papers put together by doctors, trainers, scientists, ect.

SP1B:

Here’s a couple great articles on cell volumization and water retention brought about by creatine.

Written by John Berardi, who is pretty much the man, haha.

I will warn they might make your head spin a bit but his written them in fairly easy terms.

http://johnberardi.com/articles/supplementation/cellvolume_1.htm
http://johnberardi.com/articles/supplementation/cellvolume_2.htm