Best Way To Gain Velocity

What is the best way to gain velocity on your fastball while maintaning a healthy arm?
How are high schoolers able to throw 90+ as 16-17-18 year olds?

Some of it’s genetics. You know, body size, height, etc. A lot of it is just plain throwing, though. Many of the harder throwing pitchers at the prep level train year round and throw 9-10 months a year, which is essentially a college or pro routine.

Keep working hard my friend!

Yeah, thanks.
Im throwing about 80-83 right now…you think im on the right track towards throwing 95 by senior year steven?
(p.s. Im a sophomore)

I’m not Steven, King, but 95…likely not…could happen…but moving into the hi 80’s is a very distict possibility.
The thing King is this…have command of your pitches, condition and train like it’s hangin with your best girl and keep those grades as good as you have them and you will be a D-1 caliber pitcher. There is no shame in not hitting mid-90’s before the end of high school, in fact it may save you from injury. I personally believe the injuries you see in high school are due to guys not being in the physical shape and attempting to throw in a sustained manner, at a velocity their body cannot support. Grow incrementally with your body first and have your velocity follow. It’s why so many guys jump velo once they do get in college because the programs condition a player so much better than any of the High School programs out there. Be relentless in your quest, but also be patient…remember you had to crawl to walk and walk to run, run to sprint…things come in there time, it’s part of what it takes to make it in the art.

Perhaps. I mean, it’s a good goal to have. But the time frame needs to be realistic based on a number of variables. I didn’t ever throw a pitch over 88 mph in high school, though. First time I hit 90 mph was the summer following my sophomore year in college.

You aren’t necessarily looking for a guy throwing 90+ all the time. If you see a guy with great command and picking up a couple mph a year consistently in their last few years of high school and throughout college, that is a guy to go after if the rest is there. There is a lot to say for someone that is coachable, with a good work ethic, and continues to improve. You can make an assumption that the guy will continue to improve at the same rate or faster with better coaching.

At the same time, if I see a guy with a great arm throwing over 90 with solid command I am probably talking to him first.

Thanks guys,
I throw low 80’s and i am not in the best shape at all…I think this is part why i got injured with the olecranon fracture…I’m a pretty big guy at 6’2" 265, almost like a lineman…i was at 280, but since the surgery and the PT i think i lost pounds and my work ethic in my opinion is better…But do you think my size will ever affect me in anyway to play college baseball…and future injury?

Also…
“Grow incrementally with your body first and have your velocity follow”
"and attempting to throw in a sustained manner"
JD what do you mean by this?

Thanks though guys for the advice…

[quote]“Grow incrementally with your body first and have your velocity follow”
“and attempting to throw in a sustained manner”[/quote]

I see it all the time, guys who throw their absolute hardest without taking the time to condition their body/arm for that sort of effort. If you don’t prepare first, your body will fail…
Soooo my personal philosophy is to always look to increase your velocity but do it through building your body up first…back, core, de-cells, they all have to be prepared. When you do this you’ll find with good mechanics the velocity will increase and your mechanics won’t change, conversely if you try to throw too hard before your body is ready it will, beyond doubt, alter your mechanics (Your body will have to adjust in order to do what you are asking) and likely get yourself injured.

JD, what is most important part in the body to condition?
Do you think my size will somehow create another injury at 6’2" 265?
Will it hurt me when i play college or get recruited? If yes, What size/ weight should i aim for?

[quote]Do you think my size will somehow create another injury at 6’2" 265?
Will it hurt me when i play college or get recruited? If yes, What size/ weight should i aim for?[/quote]

You bet…Don’t condition, don’t do your work and a big strong body like that will rip itself apart. An example I can tell you is when I was a sophmore, it was so important for me to crack the 200 lb club on the bench that I attempted it before my body was ready and ripped myself a hernia in the effort.

The whole body is important, if you concentrate on one part you’ll short cut another part…do it all.

Your size King is a huge advantage, you will get looks where others don’t. Be in shape, be conditioned, be focused you will be a desired prospect. If you let it go thats when you start effecting the process.

[quote=“king.navarro34”]JD, what is most important part in the body to condition?
Do you think my size will somehow create another injury at 6’2" 265?
Will it hurt me when i play college or get recruited? If yes, What size/ weight should i aim for?[/quote]

I’m not sure it would hurt you, but depending on what type of body frame you have (at 6’2" 265 you could be out of shape and heavy, or you could just be a thick more bulky individual). it wouldn’t be a bad idea either way to lose a little bit of that weight… not saying you need a total make over, but maybe drop another 10 or 15 lbs?

For what it’s worth I’m 6’1" about 190 lbs.

According to my Therapist, I have a strong upper body, its the core that i have to work on. And i have been improving…

My upper body, especially shoulders and all is very strong
But i do need work the abs and some core…

Do you think colleges will take players that big as a pitcher? 6’2" 265?

p.s. Im only 15 so i think im going to grow more…

They will beat the hell out of each other to get a chance to talk to you…if you thow in the mid to upper 80’s as a senior.

Are you serious?

well if you grew a couple inches, you’d have a body not unlike CC Sabathia it sounds like…

It’s not all that often that you see someone that large that still has the flexibility and balance to throw close to or above 90 mph…

some who weighs upwards of 260 and can still deliver a baseball that fast is a rare feat.

However to say they’d be fighting each other to talk to you… could be a stretch. It all depends on your stuff, if you have good stuff, and throw consistently hard, then your body is a bonus, but if you just have average to sub par stuff, then they’re not going to take you just because you’re a big kid…

What do you mean by
"you’d have a body not unlike CC Sabathia it sounds like…"
Im often compared to being a CC jr. but i dont have as big of a belly and all that fat…I look like a lineman…basically…but ive gotten in better shape doing the Physical Therapy

Given this criteria;

which is what I said,
If you don’t believe it, meet a few scouts and just go ahead and take a kid over 6’2" and a kid at say 5’11" with the same stuff and just see who they spend all their time looking at…I speak from direct experience not speculation on this. And they will knock themselves out to get the bigger kid (King here has outstanding grades btw…so I’m adding it all together for this one kid).

Meet Carlos Zambrano…"38 Carlos Zambrano S/R 6-5 255 06/01/81"
If you want to have a goal to shoot for…and he looks like a lineman too.

Given this criteria;

which is what I said,
If you don’t believe it, meet a few scouts and just go ahead and take a kid over 6’2" and a kid at say 5’11" with the same stuff and just see who they spend all their time looking at…I speak from direct experience not speculation on this. And they will knock themselves out to get the bigger kid (King here has outstanding grades btw…so I’m adding it all together for this one kid).

Meet Carlos Zambrano…"38 Carlos Zambrano S/R 6-5 255 06/01/81"
If you want to have a goal to shoot for…and he looks like a lineman too.[/quote]

i wasn’t disagreeing, but i was saying the mid-upper 80’s is more important than the 6’5" 260 lb frame :wink: .

And when i said CC sabathia, it wasn’t meant as in insult to your body in anyway… he’s just the first pitchter 250+ lb’s that comes to mind…

Gotcha…mine was all things considered with the same velo, the bigger guy will always get the look.