Best training devices?

What are some of the best training devices (commercial or home made) that you have incorporated?

I have personally used bands for exercise, video cam to analyze mechanics & a backstop with #'d zones for location practice (& fun/comeptiveness factor to break things up).

I have scene some other products that look intriguing…

The balance board that clicks/shifts when the weight shifts after balance point & is supposed to confirm & encourage use of the back leg drive. This sounds legit/effective & is endorsed by people I trust.

I’d love to have a radar gun… would be nice to track speed differentials & development on velocity.

Any other legitimate & effective training tools that you have used or seen?

This looks like a cool toy.

http://oatesspecialties.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=200

[quote=“12JTWilson”]The balance board that clicks/shifts when the weight shifts after balance point & is supposed to confirm & encourage use of the back leg drive. This sounds legit/effective & is endorsed by people I trust.
[/quote]
IIRC, the video on their website shows a pitcher using the product and he shifts his weight back (towards 2B) before going forward and he gets going forward late, IMHO. I didn’t like that as it does seem to teach a “balance point” - something I don’t teach.

Barbells, dumbbells, medicine balls, a chin-up bar, wrist weights, weighted balls, and plyometric boxes. All things I have at my facility, of course. :wink:

Roger:

I might have mislead w/ the balance point reference… if the pitcher went “back” in the leg lift the device would “flip/tilt” towards 2B & expose the flaw (kinda like a medicus golf club?). I think what it does is drop 2" & drive the pitcher to the target after they commit to their own weight shift @ the target.

I did see a product out there that fundamentally made some sense… I believe it was called “________ Spinner”… an old MLB pitcher turned pitching coach used it as a home made device & someone finally marketed it.

It was a ball that had a rod connected to it & allowed pitchers to spin the ball on its axis and develop a feel for different breaking pitches/ the feel etc…

As i type this, I’m thinking about the medicus golf club… it breaks down if the golfer breaks his “kinetic chain” or uses poor angles. As it relates to pitching, I’m guessing our most valuable tool is video.

Video helps w/ mechanics… mechanics in my opinion is the piece we can make the biggest impact with… followed by strength & conditioning & the mental side.

Video is my best tool, I use it to make sure my mechanics are looking like I want them.