Best time to throw the change up

I am 17 year old lefty and throw my fast ball low to mid 80s. I am really wanting to work on a change up, i can throw it good, but i don’t know when i should throw it. Any tips?

Man what a loaded question…Do you have any other pitches? What action do you get on it (Fade inside and down, stright down, just slow)? What kind of control do you have on it?..not really necessary to throw it for strikes…as long as when it leaves your hand it “looks” like it might be a strike. Go to the log (Personal Logs Forum) I made for my sons last year in high school…(Grateful, Bringingdeheat, the last season) in it I talk (You don’t have to read it all…just say from page 3 to 6) about what he does with his change and some of the ways he uses it tactically. I would term it a pitch of dominance. What I mean by that is…well when you have this pitch and a solid fastball that you have control over (Hopefully with late movement) you can keep great hitters off balance throughout a game, get a higher quantity of K’s that make the opposition LOOK BAD…fishing, and checking their swing for strikes…It will really work to demoralize a line up…I guess the biggest thing I could say to you in regards to it is A) Don’t leave it up in the zone or you’ll get a stiff neck from watching it get jerked a long way. B) Don’t break it out on a weak hitter that can’t hit your fastball (You’ll speed up his bat and have him going around bragging that he hit your fastball). C) If you have other pitches and mix it up…you can save it until the second time through the order and totally hose up a line up. Watch some MLB, pay attention to how they set up a pitch…sometimes they just throw a certain pitch to make another pitch work later in the count. Obviously Trevor Hoffman has what many think the greatest change, but for my money it’s Maddux because he will basically use it and a sinker (Fastball with late movement) as a starter to get consistant grounders and a K when he needs it but you can see it has a great place in your game…I mean there you have a guy with 347 wins and the guy with the highest amount of saves using it regularly.
I hope this gives you some ideas and gets some discussion going on it :smiley:

There was a great article in the Chicago Cubs Vine Line (their magazine) about Maddux and his changeup. He said, if you can locate it like your fastball, there is no exact count when you should throw the change.

If you throw your change off the fastball ( ie., it has similar rotation ) then i love to throw it in fastball situations … 2-0, 2-1 , 3-1 . This is a pitch I want to be hit in most cases , to get me out of a hole . No absolutes , need to be unpredictable , just pls don’t throw it 0-2 !!

this is a great thread. if you can throw it for a strike, throw it anytime. ask hoffman, maddux, pedro, and santana.

to develop it:

play long toss throwing change ups. will force you to keep good arm speed.

throw it for half your bullpens.

in the late off season and preseason, pitch to hitters in a cage doing a simulated game and focus on throwing the change up. you’ll know in a hurry if it is effective. keep doing this till you can get them out.

be sure to check your grip. you must get the pads of the index and middle fingers off the ball and the hand loose. that is the secret. then throw it.

[quote=“dusty delso”]to develop it:

play long toss throwing change ups. will force you to keep good arm speed.[/quote]

Great idea!

One thing with my knuckleball, that I do, is if I’m having an off day or my fingernail is cut weird, I can live off my fastball and curve so long as I am smart with them. I will often times throw a knuckler on those days when a change would work, it is a change of pace and the drop or movement is just gravy.

have you ever tried throwing your knuckler with adhesive sandpaper on your fingernails? you might try it and if it works, they make a sand additive to paint that you could use for a nice manicure to roughen up the ole fingernails.

nolan ryan used to build up clear laquer on his nails and file it down razor sharp to scuff the ball. keith hernandez talks about it in his book pure baseball which is a grat book for a fan who is really into the game.

just something to think about.

I usually just try to keep my nails short and rounded, I believe in throwing a good honest dancer. lol

[quote=“dusty delso”]have you ever tried throwing your knuckler with adhesive sandpaper on your fingernails? you might try it and if it works, they make a sand additive to paint that you could use for a nice manicure to roughen up the ole fingernails.

nolan ryan used to build up clear laquer on his nails and file it down razor sharp to scuff the ball. keith hernandez talks about it in his book pure baseball which is a grat book for a fan who is really into the game.

just something to think about.[/quote]

yeah. one guy on my team had sand and superglue on his index finger it was basically sand paper. umpires never noticed it even in a tournament where pitchers where getting checked up before every starts it went un noticed. the guy had a great 2-seam fastball :wink:

i sometimes throw it the first pitch to each kid first time around. most likely they would take. then i just blow a fastball right by them. it also depends if it tails or anything.