Best Starting Rotation?

Who do you think is going to have the best rotation in baseball in 2009?

I’ll go with Boston when Smoltz gets healthy.

Lester
Beckett
Dice K
Penny
Smoltz & Wakefield.

You can’t deny

The Yankees but I’ll go out on a limb and call the Tribe’s rotation the best overall by the end of the season.

The Mets are decent but I’ll go out on a limb and call the San Fransisco Giants rotation the best by season’s end.

And for a wild card rotation…The Pirates… :shock: Just kiddin!

The Detroit Tigers. Willis will washout right away and Miner, Robertson and Porcello will fill in while Jim Leyland finds a way to make this a four man rotation as much as possible.

Miner and Robertson? Ay, they can’t get anybody out! Nate is pathetic.

Quite a bold statement wasn’t it. :lol:

Miner and Robertson will make it soooooo easy for Detroit to go ahead and rush Porcello along right up to the bigs. They’ve got 7 million invested and with the economy the way it is…why not get a return on that investment as soon as possible?

For me I think that the Angels have the best starting rotation:

John Lackey: 12-5, 3.75 ERA, 130 SO
Ervin Santana: 16-7, 3.49 ERA, 214 SO
Joe Saunders: 17-7, 3.41 ERA, 103 SO
Jered Weaver: 11-10, 4.33 ERA, 152 SO

After that, the chain gets weaker but they have up-and-comers who are coming in to help in that 5 spot. Really Weaver is the only one I see weakening that rotation but otherwise all very solid numbers which led them to garner 100 wins last season.

Combined: 58-29, 3.75 ERA, 599 SO

Leonhart21,

This is why I’m skeptical on the Angels this year:

[quote]By Mike DiGiovanna
March 9, 2009
Reporting from Tempe, Ariz. – All-Star pitcher Ervin Santana was diagnosed Sunday with a sprained ligament in his throwing elbow and will open the season on the disabled list, a potentially significant setback for a team already thin on starting pitching.[/quote]

Bad break

Yeah I had just learned about that from a friend today lol. However, if you look at their preseason record so far, they’re 10-2 and at the top of their division even with Santana missing and Fuentes as their new closer, though many argue that Arredondo should take over that role.

The Cubs staff has led the majors in strikeouts for something like 6 or 7 straight years.

Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly
Marshall or Samardija

Not as good at their 2004 staff with Prior, Wood, Maddux, Zambrano and Clement but the same injury concerns. If they stay healthy, the NL Central won’t be close this year…big if.

I’d have to put it between the Sox, Yanks, and the Rays this year.

Rays have the most potential, with

Kazmir
Garza
Sonnanstine
(Jackson)?
Price

5 guys, four of whom throw the ball 95+ with nasty stuff. There also the youngest, so I won’t expect them to perform up to their talent this year.

Boston is probably the most reliable, the one I would expect to preform the most consistently with a mix of vets and young guns, not to mention a ton of depth

Lester
Beckett
Dice-K
Wake
Penny/Smoltz/Masterson/Buccholz/Bowden

If Lester preforms similar to last year, DiceK gives us 15 wins and a sub 3.5 era, Beckett returns to 07 esque form, and wake stays healthy and gives us 200 innings we’ll make the playoffs. If one of those five guys in the 5 spot steps up and gives 12-15 wins and a sub 4 Era like they are capable of, Boston will have the best rotation in the game.

Yankees have a ton of potential too, but more question marks than either of the previous two.

Sabathia
Burnett
Chamberlain
Wang
Hughes

Sabathia is an ace, no doubt. Burnett and Wang are both capable of 15+ wins and allstar appearances, but they are both injury risks and underperformers. I think Chamberlain is going to stay healthy and be great, but Hughes is going to flop in my oppinion. His stuff isn’t close to what they said it was.

So in terms of potential, I’d say

1.Rays
2.Yankees
3.Bosox

But in terms of reliability and who has the best chance to be great

1.Bosox
2.Yankees
3.Rays

Jackson isn’t with Tampa anymore, he’s with Detroit now.

Oh, my bad, I havent kept up with them lately. Well I know they have several flamethrowers in the farm that could be gunning for a rotation spot, so my stance remains the same.

Can I just say the winner of the AL East?

without a doubt, the red sox have to have the best rotation. Beckett is better than ever. And, with the addition of smoltz and penny, they can’t be stopped

[quote=“RBish11”]The Cubs staff has led the majors in strikeouts for something like 6 or 7 straight years.

Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly
Marshall or Samardija

Not as good at their 2004 staff with Prior, Wood, Maddux, Zambrano and Clement but the same injury concerns. If they stay healthy, the NL Central won’t be close this year…big if.[/quote]

im with RBish11

i know im saying this cause im a fan, but the Mets starting pitching is what held them togeather last year.
Johan Santana IS the best pitcher in major league baseball.
Mike Pelfrey and John Maine are both solid young starters. Though Maine is a question comming off surgery.
Though in spring training the big question mark was the 5th spot, which Livan Hernandez has filled, and looks to be a good fit, the question now is Oliver Perez. The inconsistency has got to stop with him. If he goes out every game and throws strikes, he can be a solid starter.

I can’t help myself…

Dino said,

And today Porcello got the win against Seattle ! One run on five hits in seven innings… No walks, three strikeouts and retired the last fourteen batters he faced. :smiley:

Yes, Porcello will be solid. Miner and Robertson might be the two biggest jokes in the big leagues.

how bout those giants as of late. 2 earned runs threw 5 starts through the rotation. not to shabby. now THEY JUST NEED TO SCORE RUNS!

I’ve been saying since the winter after they got Johnson that if they can score, and Johnson can stay healthy, they’ll take the west and be a force in the playoffs. Lincecums the best in the NL, Cain is very solid, Johnson is still good, Zito might still be able to turn it around…

And they have Bumgardner still in the minors, there going to be a force in a couple of years if they can keep the top of that staff together.