Best post-workout recovery supplements

what are some of the best post workout recovery supplements? I’M always sore after my workouts but there are so many recovery supplements out there, I do’t know which are most effective

Creatine is always good post workout, get alot of protein and carbs post workout. But dude, your supposed to be sore after you work out. My measure by how good my leg workout was is by how much it hurts going up the stairs the next two days.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]

Creatine is always good post workout, get alot of protein and carbs post workout. But dude, your supposed to be sore after you work out. My measure by how good my leg workout was is by how much it hurts going up the stairs the next two days.[/quote]

I like to take creatine pre-workout. Post workout the best thing you can get is 100% Whey Protein. I take this:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2887270&cp=&sr=1&kw=100+whey&origkw=100%25+whey&parentPage=search

It has 20g per scoop and theres almost 80 scoops in there. The taste is better than most, and when shaken or blended there is little to know clumping.

[quote=“yanksneeddice-K”][quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]

Creatine is always good post workout, get alot of protein and carbs post workout. But dude, your supposed to be sore after you work out. My measure by how good my leg workout was is by how much it hurts going up the stairs the next two days.[/quote]

I like to take creatine pre-workout. Post workout the best thing you can get is 100% Whey Protein. I take this:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2887270&cp=&sr=1&kw=100+whey&origkw=100%25+whey&parentPage=search

It has 20g per scoop and theres almost 80 scoops in there. The taste is better than most, and when shaken or blended there is little to know clumping.[/quote]

actually most major league pitchers take the creatine after their workouts. Not saying yours is wrong or anything lol, but thats what I have found out.

whats the best kind of creatine the powder stuff or pills?

creatine in pills forms is WAY easier to take, but it’ll cost a lot more.

Go with the pure powder, learn how to swallow it down with grape juice in one go, and it’s not so bad.

Micronized Creatine powder is the best way to go imo. It has a finer grain than the norm and it mixes with anything. I usually take my 30g of protein and a teaspoon of the creatine as soon as I get into my car from working out. It has worked well. Also, you need casein proteins before you go to bed so the body does not feed on itself while you are sleeping. By ingesting enough casein proteins your muscles will repair while you sleep. I always eat a half of a cup of cottage cheese mixed with salsa before I go to bed (I hate cottage cheese) Milk is also a good source but because the milk is pasteurized and then all of the nutrients are injected back in, it is not as effective.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]creatine in pills forms is WAY easier to take, but it’ll cost a lot more.

Go with the pure powder, learn how to swallow it down with grape juice in one go, and it’s not so bad.[/quote]

unless you have the $$ to dish out for the micronized powder hoy mentioned, this is the way to go. Once you get used to taking it this way its a breeze.

I’m a little surprised at how many of you guys use creatine. From what I’ve read there are few if any quality control tests at the factory, lab, seven eleven, where things are packaged. In other words…there’s no telling how much creatine is really in the package.

I’d be interested in knowing what brands you might consider reliable and trustworthy. The almighty $$$$$$$ and the snakeoil salesman always concerns me…if you know what I mean.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1075898

good sh*t

I’m surprised about how many of these youngsters are taking supplements. I understand how they help performance, but what about just having a great diet? Once you guys get off the creatine, have fun with the ride back down after you lose all the water weight. I don’t mind the protein shakes, but what about just involving more protein in your diet? In short, I’d be careful about what you’re putting in your bodies, and somehow try to find a reliable supplier.

hammer what do you take pre or post workout? what about some of the other players on your pro teams.

Hammer, good post!

I agree that first and foremost you need to have a healthy diet. I take that very seriously.

Most think they can down 2 protein shakes and some other supps and are allowed to eat froot loops and cheeseburgers the rest of the time.

I’m pretty conservative with the creatine (stopped taking it during XC season) and only taking 5g/day when I’m on it. It’s by no means a necessity, and I’m not even sure how much it helps me having only taken it for about 4 weeks at a time (will now be taking it for 12 weeks up until baseball season).

But yeah, good point, I hope most of you guys out there realize that creatine and whey powder isnt a magic bullet…just supplements. A rock hard diet will do more good if you have to choose one over the other.

I take zip zilch and nada, for my pre and post workouts. I eat healthy, and ofcourse eat around 30-45 minutes after my workout. To me, this is the best way to go. I can sustain this throughout the season. A couple years ago I was big into creatine and I put on some pounds. I got pretty strong and weighed about 205 - 208. After 4 weeks of spring training and a month of the regular season I was down to 195. It was almost like an illusion, despite the fact that I kept lifting! In college I also got into weight gainer, which put on weight quickly, that came off quickly because of the loss of calories when I stopped taking the shakes. For me, I’m not going to take creatine year round, I think that’s ridiculous. However, with just lifting and eating healthy, my weight has gotten back to around 200 pounds, and I’m just as strong as I was when I was 208.

Guy take all SORTS of stuff at the pro level. Whether it’s creatine, muscle milk, weight gainer, protein shakes, n o explode, cell tech, the list is really endless. And ofcourse, steroids.

Probably the most common drink before any competition was definitely coffee! Players love it!

I take 1:1:1 Protein:Maltodextrin:Dextrose

I take the good protein isolate. Uh Optimum whey gold standard or something. Along with a maltodextrin powder and pure dextrose. I do think it works. Probably worth it. But I did gain a lot of muscle without it, started to plateu and it kind of helped me out a bit. I also eat pretty healthy. Well for kids my age. I usually have eggs each morning for breakfast. Yeah I know breakfast, weird ey?

Good point but depends on how much protein. A lot of companies will try and scam kids into thinking they need more protein than they do.

I read a huge article on creatine and that was one of the things it was talking about. It had the exact time frame on it, I’m not going to find it if you want you can read up. But something like 1 week of a lot of creatine like during the day and all that. Then a while of just a serving pre-workout. But then it said that you should take how ever much time it said, off and not use creatine.

This stuff helps, but nothing is going to take away all the soreness after a good workout.

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=11

[quote=“cameron20”]This stuff helps, but nothing is going to take away all the soreness after a good workout.

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=11[/quote]

Excluding vicodin and morphine you are correct.

Best post workout supplement?

A lacrosse ball.
I know it’s not a supplement, but I can use that baby to roll out any soreness.

Go get one, they’re like 3 dollars.
Cheers!

[quote=“kjeezey”]Best post workout supplement?

A lacrosse ball.
I know it’s not a supplement, but I can use that baby to roll out any soreness.

Go get one, they’re like 3 dollars.
Cheers![/quote]

and use a tennis ball if you’re a ***** like me :slight_smile: