Best pitching advice you've ever received?

Have any good tips or advice that a coach or teammate has shared with you that made you see things differently or improve your game? Share it!

Last year in J.V. Baseball, I was having control problems at the mound. My coach came over and told me 3 simple things:

“Put your fingers where they’re supposed to be, pick a spot, and throw the ball”

And I thought, wow, there’s no way something that simple could work.

I struck out the next 3 batters to end the inning. It seems that sometimes simple is better =)

Im playing in 2 teams right now.

Im supposed to play “junioren” still wich is to 21 years here in holland.
but they put me in the 2nd team of “senioren” 21+ this is to develop more experience cuz ill be ending up in our first team next season. anyways, every game is the same, field makes a ****load of errors. wich can, for sum people, be very annoying when ur pitching.

my coach came up, said, ur pitching, whats the use of getting angry, do what u love most, thats pitching isnt it? enjoy it! If your field makes errors, so what. if ur pitching good, ur pitching good.

read it on a nolan ryan clip

you cant throw the ball until your foot plants

helped me stay closed

My pitching coach came out to one of my travel games when i was 12, and the other team was standing sooo close to the plate that when they bent their knees, the extended way out over the inside corner, and this was giving me problems.
So my pitching coach tells the team coach to let him go out and talk to me, and than he did. When he got out to the mound, he says “What the hell are you doing? Don’t let them shrink the strikezone, the plate and 6 inches on either side belongs to you, the pitcher. Now Take It Back!”…So…I Did.

And ever since that day, i have Never had any problem with throwing to the inside corner, or with people crowding the plate.

Ed Lopat probably knew more about pitching than anyone else, and he was a limitless source of information and advice. I can’t begin to tell you how much he helped me—and goodness knows how many other pitchers who sought him out for advice—but I’ll pick one thing he said to me one day: “Trust your stuff.” Of course, he would elaborate on this one way or another, but this was the gist of it, and I never forgot that in all the years that I pitched. One result was I never lost a game. :smiley:

:shock: You never lost a game? Ever? Not even once? :shock:

this is somethuing i found out on my own
this is the way i keep from doing the “inverted L” and “inverted W”

during the whole pitching arm motion
i keep my thumb pointed to third base until your arm gets into the cocked positionor unitl foot plant

helps with pronation a bit too

might have been said elsewhere idk

"The greatest aid to being a great pitcher is to believe and act like you are a great pitcher"
Bob Shepherd Asst. Head and Pitching Coach University of North Florida

Memo to BleedBlueandOrange: Nope, I never lost a game. I was one of those “snake-jazz” pitchers, not much in the way of speed but a lot of good breaking stuff and very good control and command of it. It got to the point where I acquired a nickname: “The Exterminator”. I was warming up one day before a game, and our second baseman came running over and said “Hey, guess what! You have a nickname!” I asked him what it was, and he said “The Exterminator! Did you know they’re calling you that all over the league?” It seemed the other teams did not want to face me because I was just killing them. My best pitch was a sharp-breaking slider which I named “Filthy McNasty” because that was exactly what it was, and I had other stuff to set batters up for that pitch. And I used the crossfire a lot—I was a natural, true sidearmer with a consistent release point, and that crossfire used to discombooberate the hitters no end.
I also would pitch in relief from time to time, usually in the late innings, and one thing I was very good at was rescuing games, getting the team out of jams…those were good years. I had to stop in my early thirties when my work schedule caught up to me and I lost my free weekends—but it was fun. 8) :baseballpitcher:

Wow man, that’s pretty incredible. I hope I can have a fraction of your success this season. :lol:

WOman :lol:

the best advice i’ve ever gotten was " The batter is afraid of being hit. When he steps in that box put that fear in his head." I’ve had people bail out of the box on a curve that I throw at there hips and it breaks right on the inside edge.

Same here :lol: Mine starts at the head and hits the outer corner. Its so entertaining to watch them duck out of the way and take a strike at the same time

I had one guy just fall on the ground and the ball ended up right down the middle. :lol:

That’s the reason i love the big hook as opposed to the sharp breaking curve. It just crushes batters. Especially when they can’t hit a breaking pitch if it was held in midair for them.

Just from pitching and being able to throw that pitch, as a batter I can kill those balls. I had a kid try to throw a knee buckler at me and he threw it perfectly. It was right at my head, but because I saw him follow throw (I guess he would have supinated) I sat and cranked it.

I’ve never really had any great advice, just sort of left to figure things out on my own. The worst advice came to me mid pitch with the bases loaded and a full count. I had a reliable two seamer going and went to release it as my coach said “Don’t walk him” from the bench. In the gound, run scores.

Haha, I faced this one kid in the second last game of the season, who was standing WAY away from the plate, but, i just adjusted my hand angle a tiny bit, so I could still throw at his head and drop in the knucklecurve for a strike. I do this two times in a row, and this guy looks like he just wants to yell to his coach “GET ME OUT OF HERE!” so I threw him one more, but lower and in the dirt, and the offspring that was produced in this marriage was the ugliest looking swing I have ever seen.

The greatest piece of advice in relation to pitch choice, put yourself in the shoes of the batter at the plate. What pitch do you think the pitcher would be throwing in this situation, how is he going to get me out. 3-1, he is going to throw me a fastball cause he doesnt want to walk me right? Give him a changeup, and see him fall swinging. Being a good pitcher is being one step ahead of the hitter.