Best pitches from the low 3/4 arm slot

i throw a decent tailing fastball and a vulcan grip change with some downward movement and its 10mph off my fastball. i want to tryout for my college team and i think it will be pretty beneficial to throw a third pitch. i was trying to get the feel for a curveball or knuckle curveball but i just cant get the proper rotation on it from the low 3/4 arm slot. it seems to end up always being a frisbee flat terrible curveball.

if i go to a higher arm slot i can get proper rotation and all but that would completely tip off that a curveball is coming and a curveball is pretty noticeable as it is.

so what pitch a good 3rd pitch to add to a tailing fastball and a change up with a little drop.

i dont really know how to throw a slider and i know it can be damaging to your arm, espeically with my questionable mechanics. i have seen some good sinkers from a low 3/4 arm slot and splitters.

what do you guys suggest i try to work on first

Let me tell you a couple of things about the slider.
First, contrary to what a lot of people have been saying (no doubt because they themselves don’t know how to throw it!), the slider, when thrown correctly, is easier on the arm and shoulder than just about any other pitch, and many pitchers who have trouble with the curve ball—as you seem to be doing—will find the slider easier to work with. I was a true natural sidearmer, and I learned the pitch at age 16 from my pitching coach who was a key member of the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation of the late 40s to the mid-50s. His name—you might remember it—was Ed Lopat, and he threw a very good one (both 3/4 and sidearm), and here’s what he told me: "Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it."
Lopat used a very much offcenter grip, with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam. He demonstrated the wrist action, which in my case would be an easier version of the karate-chop I used for my curve ball—and then he just handed me the ball and said “Go ahead, try it.” I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, but I knew that this wasn’t going to be one of those pitches I could use right away, so I spent some months working on it and refining it. In August 1952 I felt comfortable enough with it to try it in a game, and I did just that—coming into a game in relief in the seventh inning when our starting pitcher had to leave the game because of a nasty blister on his pitching hand—and the situation was this: bases loaded, one out, our lead had been cut from 6-0 to 6-4, and I would be facing a dangerous pinch-hitter. I got the guy on three sliders, the third one being a crossfire which I used all the time, and the dumb cluck never took the bat off his shoulder, just stood there and went “duh” as that pitch broke sharply over the plate! I got the next batter—this is a story in itself—and pitched two more scoreless innings; we got our three runs back and won 9-4. In my next two starts I got solid confirmation about that slider—that was my strikeout pitch!
I think you would do very well with it. I would advise you to find a good pitching coach, preferably one with professional experience (high minor leagues at least), and have him teach you how to throw it correctly. I have seen many major league pitchers over the years do very well with a fastball-slider-changeup combination; they don’t even need a curve ball. I remember another Yankee pitcher—Vic Raschi, a fireballing righthander who had an even more devastating slider and a very good change; he didn’t have what they used to call Aunt Susie, and he didn’t need it. And one more thing—here’s a very interesting variation of it that Lopat told me about: you use a knuckleball grip and throw the slider with it. It breaks bats and gets delicious outs. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:
't

that was a pretty good story. and i can definitely see the slider as being a great pitch. i will do some research and see if i can get the feel for it but im dont have access to a pitching coach until atleast a few months at best, if i were to make the team. ill play with the grip and see what i can do.

Yeah, best pitch from that arm slot is no doubt the slider. I have had pretty good success with the slider although I also throw a curve, but I throw mine from a high 3/4 arm angle. I would say the best example of a low 3/4 pitcher with a devastating slider would be Randy Johnson. Sure he had the blistering heater but that slider is what made Johnson Johnson. Good luck with the pitch, it’s awesome once you get it, but don’t take anything off of it to try to get more break because that is when it gets hit.

just went outside and threw the ball against the wall i usually do and the slider seems pretty easy to throw, im not twisting my wrist or snapping or anything. i just keep pressure on my middle finger and lay my index finger down lightly and throw thinking fastball and it breaks pretty well. made my day. just gotta keep strengthening my arm.

goal by the end of summer = long toss a homerun at the local park

322ft to right-center with a 10 foot fence.

according to http://faculty.tcc.fl.edu/scma/carrj/Java/baseball4.html

if i can hit the fence from home plate ill be throwing 91mph out of my hand and getting over the fence ill be throwing 94mph.

im at 290ft now and just started long tossing. sorry for the rant. im excited haha

First, I would start by saying that you shouldn’t be banking on that site to be telling you how fast you are throwing. Not only because there is no current physics equation to explain how a ball will rotation moves through air, but also because it also completely depends on angles and everything along with that.

Second, your best friend should be the fastball. I have been a low 3/4 slot for my whole life and I have not met a coach yet who is not amazed at how much tail I get on my 4-seam. Besides that, I have been a slider person myself. I have tried a curveball, but it just ends up being a slow loop of useless leather hanging in the air waiting for a home run. Most coaches teach the slider to be held the same way as a curveball, however, I was taught by my dad to hold it near the same as a 2-seam, but have both fingers on the left side of the laces and just break your wrist. It has been an absolutely nasty pitch, and it is harder to read because it looks like a 2-seam out of my hand instead of an obvious slider like it appears with some people.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

i do understand that it is very difficult to estimate pitching velocity based on long toss. i do have a radar gun although it is not very good it does give me consistency to see the speed difference from fastball to changeup, although it is not exactly accurate to the number like the higher end guns. i plan to throw another month or so with a mix of long tossing and flat ground pitching as well as some occasional mound work, than go to a place near me to get an accurate velocity on my fastball.

my chances of making a college team with my limited pitching experience is based mainly on if i can get my fastball into the upper 80s touching 90. i have not played ball in 2 years and only went as far as jv for a very good highschool program before concentrating on basketball year round, which i regret. now a couple years removed from competitive baseball and 30lbs of solid muscle heavier i have found some more velocity and need to give it a shot.

i too have some pretty good tailing action on my fastball and decent fade to my change up but i feel i need atleast a show me breaking ball by tryouts.

thank you for your help and ill update when i get a stalker or jugs radar gun on me