Best Mechanics?

Who do you guys think has the best mechanics in the mlb?

Greg Maddux
Roger Clemens
Tom Glavine
Jeff Suppan
Mariano Rivera
Dan Haren
Roy Oswalt
Justin Verlander
Jeff Francis

I’d go with Roy Oswalt…and me :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

Greg Maddux
Roger Clemens
Tom Glavine
Jeff Suppan
Mariano Rivera
Dan Haren
Roy Oswalt
Justin Verlander
Jeff Francis[/quote]

im just curious if John Smoltz was left off of this list on purpose or if you just felt you had listed enough. If it was purposely, what flaws do you see in his mechanics, becuase i have been told i pitch similarly to him. (not the 97 mph part lol)

[quote=“qcbaseball”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

Greg Maddux
Roger Clemens
Tom Glavine
Jeff Suppan
Mariano Rivera
Dan Haren
Roy Oswalt
Justin Verlander
Jeff Francis[/quote]

im just curious if John Smoltz was left off of this list on purpose or if you just felt you had listed enough. If it was purposely, what flaws do you see in his mechanics, becuase i have been told i pitch similarly to him. (not the 97 mph part lol)[/quote]

I left Smoltz and Pedro off because they have had serious injury problems (Smoltz = elbow and Pedro = shoulder), both of which I think are related to some Inverted W in their arm actions.

I forgot to mention that I also like Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax.

Clemens had problems at the very beginning of his career. Who knows, maybe someday you will like Mark Prior (20 yrs from now when he is being grilled by congress).

But really, what do you, Chris, think of Clemens at the beginning of his career and the subsequent changes he has made?

Clemens is much better now mechanically than he was at the beginning of his career. He had to change after the problems he experienced at the end of his time in Boston.

Why is Rivera on your list? He’s had T.J. surgery before. Also, Glavine is borderline “elbow above shoulder level” type, is he not?

may i ask why verlander is on the list. i know you probably like his arm action, but there is more to mechanics than arm action and verlander doesn’t use his lower half very well. can’t argue with his results, but i would say that beckett has much better mechanics than does verlander based on the combination of his leg mechanics and arm action.

Can you define “doesn’t use his lower half very well”? Don’t say “oh he doesn’t drop and drive like Beckett”.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

I forgot to mention that I also like Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax.[/quote]

Koufax? He of the brutal reverse weight shift? As soon as his plant foot lands, he falls backwards. Unbelievable he threw as hard as he did. Not surprising that he developed arthritis, though. He was all arm.

Hose

Yes, but his mechanics are solid. He hasn’t had shoulder problems.

I think his TJ surgery is due to his throwing the cutter.

Yes.

However, he’s been extremely successful and injury-free. I wish his elbow was a little lower, but there is obviously some variability in terms of what people can get away with (possibly due to things like different shapes of one’s Acromial process).

This sounds like the whole linear vs. rotational lower body argument. I think this is an interesting idea, but I don’t find it completely convincing. IOW, I don’t think it does a good job of explaining Mark Prior’s problems.

Verlander is relatively linear, but he still achieves good hip/shoulder separation.

Yes, but his mechanics are solid. He hasn’t had shoulder problems.

I think his TJ surgery is due to his throwing the cutter.

Yes.

However, he’s been extremely successful and injury-free. I wish his elbow was a little lower, but there is obviously some variability in terms of what people can get away with (possibly due to things like different shapes of one’s Acromial process).[/quote]

hmmm, seems a little contradicting. He’s had TJ, but he hasn’t had shoulder problems, so he’s good. Smoltz had TJ as well.

Glavine’s elbow is a little too high, but… he’s one of the best lefty’s of all time…

[quote=“Hammer”]hmmm, seems a little contradicting. He’s had TJ, but he hasn’t had shoulder problems, so he’s good. Smoltz had TJ as well.

Glavine’s elbow is a little too high, but… he’s one of the best lefty’s of all time…[/quote]

I don’t see any contradictions.

I think (most of) Rivera’s problems can be traced to how he throws one of his pitches, which isn’t really a mechanical issue.

I left Smoltz off the list because he has had shoulder and elbow problems, which I think are due in part to his arm action.

While Glavine is a little borderline, he has been injury-free. The same thing goes for Johan Santana.

I think that makes the case the in some cases guys who are on the borderline can go either way. You may not be able to tell which way they will go because it depends on variables like how their shoulders are put together and how much attention they pay to things like conditioning.

I like the simplicity and power that Carlos Zambrano gets. I think he’d be high innings, hi velo even if he was 50 or 80 lbs less. Not many mention him but he’s been very hi inning and low era for 4 or 5 years…never hurt, except for being “head-casey” he’s at least top tier.

ideal mechanics are like looks on a girlfriend, highly desirable but not necessary to be effective. just need to be good enough to function for a long period of time.

i’ve always liked Kazmir,Maddux,Santana,Shields,Ryan,Koufax,Feller

what happend to beckett? u know the most dominate pitcher in baseball? was throwing 96 at the age of 16…pretty sure hes got it figured out

Velocity is more a result of genetics, not mechanics. Beckett’s elbow gets high during parts of his delivery.