Best Mechanics In Baseball

Who has the best, risk-free mechanics in all of Major League Baseball, that also help in his ability to throw the ball harder and more accurate? I would like to try and use the mechanics of the guy who has the best in baseball. Right now, I’m using Dustin McGowan’s mechanics.

mike mussina

he has been consistant and injury free in his career

nolan ryan

best pitcher ever(arguably)

matssuzaka
cc sabathia
cliff lee
johan santana
randy johnson
dan haren

maddux?

I say Moose or Maddux.

lincecum? :lol:

Coping someones mechanics is a waste of time. Give up on it now. Find the mechanics that suit you. Those mechanics suit the players that use them. Use your own.

Exactly, however the one thing you should do is focus on how the MLB pitchers all stay closed and rotate at the hips and so forth, just look at the mechanics in general don’t try to copy anyone’s mechanics exactly.

he says he wants to throw harder and more accurate
maddux -help accuracy not velocity
lincecum - velocity but not accuracy

moose - still hits 90 and has great control
he is in great position after the hit if it comes back at him

you can work something they do into your mechanics
gs arm action/tilt/release point/stride length/arm motion

just becuase he copies someones mechanics doesnt mean hes going to gain velocity or control… thats idiotic

u gain control thru repitition and velo thru hip/shoulder seperation, momentum, etc

some things like lincecums arm motion would work cause it gets the shoulders turn faster

not completly copy mechanics
just modify certain parts(stride length, release point)

in the science of pitching tom house clearly states that a pitchers arm motion differs from pitcher to pitcher and should NOT be changed

• how would lincecum’s arm action make his shoulder rotation faster?

Joe Nathan.

Not including this post here: (I’m just not sure if thats true)

[quote=“kelvinp”]some things like lincecums arm motion would work cause it gets the shoulders turn faster

not completly copy mechanics
just modify certain parts(stride length, release point)[/quote]

I agree with Kelvin. If you try and copy Tim Lincecums mechanics it could help you with speed. Maddux doesn’t have a very violent motion which could aid in control. I don’t think this is 10000% true but I do agree with Lincecum’s motion helping in velocity. But it would have to be a very modified version to not hurt yourself. He has a huge stride and very good seperation.

Pustulio hit the nail on the head. My advice for mechanics is do the stuff that everyone does, the hip shoulder seperation, momentum and all of that. Then work on any contraversial topics like the arm action and various things like that. Those things can differ to your personal feelings on how it feels to throw. But those basic ideas that everyone agress upon MUST be mastered.

The trick is to identify and do those things that the best pitchers in the game all have in common and which are fundamental to maximizing peformance and health. (This, btw, is what the NPA mechanics model is based on.) Going beyond that would mean trying to do things which differ from pitcher to pitcher. There are reasons some things differ from pitcher to pitcher including differing height, weight, wingspan, strength, flexibility, etc.

If a coach made you try to do something just because some other pitcher does it, you’d call that a cookie cutter approach to coaching - right? Don’t voluntarily impose a cookie cutter approach on yourself.

Yes, this is exactly what the NPA teaches. Don’t try to copy somebody else’s mechanics. Be yourself, but do the things that need to be done.

gs arm

throwing the glove out in front then bringing it back quickly

[quote=“kelvinp”]throwing the glove out in front then bringing it back quickly[/quote]The problem with this is that he doesn’t actually do it.

dm’s right, he gets a bigger tilt then most people and opens up the front arm high. uses his momentum to fall into the glove like you should, nobody should be trying to pull the glove into them its bad mechs.

when you bring your glove back to your body it gets your shoulders turning faster

most pitcher’s do it

thats not bad mechanics

you have to move your glove or it will be in the way

such pitchers as nolan ryan, clemens, lincecum, jobachamberlain and C.C. Sabathia do it

[quote=“kelvinp”]when you bring your glove back to your body it gets your shoulders turning faster

most pitcher’s do it

thats not bad mechanics

you have to move your glove or it will be in the way

such pitchers as nolan ryan, clemens, lincecum, jobachamberlain and C.C. Sabathia do it[/quote]Dude. Watch some video of these guys, frame by frame and you’ll see that they do not.