Best curveballs

Who would you say has the best curveballs in the MLB?

No offense intended, but this poll sort of trivializes the many MLB-level pitchers, past and present, who have terrific breaking pitches…and not just curveballs should be considered because the slider, or ‘nickel curve’ is also an extremely useful and important breaking pitch.

A better question might almost be: What MLB pitchers get by without any breaking stuff at all. Some closers are not known for their ability to throw breaking pitches but at MLB level there are probably no starters who can’t throw a quality breaking pitch and also damned few middle relievers who can’t throw a quality breaking pitch when they need to. And, among closers, there are still quite a few who also include a breaking pitch in their repertoire.

bert blylevin (who should be in the hall of fame) is said to have had the best. followed by koufax. i have also seen unbelievable footage of catfish hunter. zito’s is good for current players but look what happens when you lose the fastball. a great example to guys who want to pitch, you better have a fastball unless you throw the floater.

Extremely insightful comments, Dusty–I agree with you completely about Blylevin. And Koufax, too. Nolan Ryan’s curve didn’t make him famous, but he eventually developed an awesome one that buckled hitters’ knees off of his FB.

Great advice there about the absolute need to have a live fastball to set up the curve…Zito spent the off-season before 2009 season doing a whole bunch of red-ass conditioning work with closer Brian Wilson. He came back hitting 90 mph with his FB (good velo, for him, and with excellent control) instead of the 85 - 86 mph he was getting in 2008. It made a huge difference in the effectiveness of his curveball, and his W-L record might have better reflected the difference if the Giants had had any offense to speak of.

la says it all. the other thing is being a really good pitcher is hard work. quite possible that zito took his training for granted and cruised when he got on top (easy to do when you are $$$ set for life).

Adam Wainwright has a pretty dirty curve. No love for him?

I know there a many other player with nasty curveballs but I just chose a few.

Clayton Kershaw, when hes not walking 3 in an inning

Adam Wainwright has one of the best curveballs in MLB.

Best in the big leagues right now. Let’s also not overlook Brandon Morrow’s breaker.

Actually, there are quite a few pitchers in MLB who have decent curveballls.
Besides Adam Wainwright and Brandon Morrow,
there is: Bret Myers, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia,
and many others.

[quote=“CardsWin”]Actually, there are quite a few pitchers in MLB who have decent curveballls.
Besides Adam Wainwright and Brandon Morrow,
there is: Bret Myers, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia,
and many others.[/quote]

There are several hundred pitchers in professional baseball that have a DECENT curveball.

There are several hundred pitchers in professional baseball that have a DECENT curveball.[/quote]

By decent,
I mean their best pitch.
The curveball
is not the best pitch of all those pitchers I mentioned.

greg maddux had a pretty sick nasty breaker after 2002

Maddux also had great control, which was
one of the main reasons he was successful
in pitching.

One of the best curve balls, in my humble opinion, belonged to Mark Clear.

I don’t remember that name.
Who was Mark Clear?

Sorry, CardsWin, I’m old! Mark Clear played for the Angels, Brewers, and the greatest franchise in baseball…the Red Sox :lol: back in the late 70’s and into the late 80’s. He had a nasty hook and could buckle knees. There are a ton of great curve balls in the league today but the first name that comes to mind when I think curveball is Mark Clear.

I must be older! When I think curve ball, the 1st name that comes to mind is Camilo Pascual.

Scorekeeper…yes, you win!