Best closer

the best closer in the game is Mariano Rivera
im not just sayin that because im a yankees fan
today he gave up 3 free passes to the bases in the nineth inning
he came back to strikeout 2 and getting the save without allowing a run with the bases loaded
and this was against the redsox

what relevance does this have to general pitching help?

I agree with how is it relevant, but B.J. Ryan has given up the same thing and then got the save, he’s given off a lead-off triple to Damon and held him at third… congrats, he’s not the best, I would say that Jon Papelbon probably is, although it is easily debatable about K-Rod etc. I just find that Jon Papelbon is extremely dominating.

Mariano has very good postseason and world series numbers. That is what really makes him stand out, less his normal season though this year he’s doing very well. Last year not so good.

EDIT: I think one of his postseason or WS ERA is .0?? which is incredibly good even for a normal team let alone playoff contending and world series caliber teams.

[quote=“Bower”]Mariano has very good postseason and world series numbers. That is what really makes him stand out, less his normal season though this year he’s doing very well. Last year not so good.

EDIT: I think one of his postseason or WS ERA is .0?? which is incredibly good even for a normal team let alone playoff contending and world series caliber teams.[/quote]

Mariano’s postseason nor his ws era either at 0. Hence, remember the dbacks. and yes, Mariano did have a good year last year.

people have posted other things that arent relevent

the only closer in competion is K-rod
he wont get noticed that much because the angels arent doing very good

bases loaded with no outs
score is 2-1
sac fly ties it up
he got three straight outs
B.J. ryan doesn’t compare

papelbon wont get enough chances because of boston’s offense
and rivera has been dominant for so long

[quote=“Hammer”][quote=“Bower”]Mariano has very good postseason and world series numbers. That is what really makes him stand out, less his normal season though this year he’s doing very well. Last year not so good.

EDIT: I think one of his postseason or WS ERA is .0?? which is incredibly good even for a normal team let alone playoff contending and world series caliber teams.[/quote]

Mariano’s postseason nor his ws era either at 0. Hence, remember the dbacks. and yes, Mariano did have a good year last year.[/quote]

What I meant was never greater than 1. From baseball reference 13 Lg Div Series with .38 ERA 7 Lg Champ Series .93 ERA 6 World Series 1.16 26 Postseason Ser .77. So not including WS post season was all under 1. Which is extremly good.

I wouldn’t say Mariano had a good year last year. It was his highest ERA since his first year in the majors.