Best closer currently in the majors?

Who is the best closer currently pitching. I am a diehard sox fan, but I don’t think I’d sound horribly biased to say that Papelbon is the best, can’t argue with the regular season he had followed by the scoreless postseason he had(Not to mention extremely heavy workload in October)

RIGHT NOW it’s papelbon but best closer in the major is mariano rivera. i know it’sd not fair since papelbon asnt been in the majors for so long but who knows where papelbon is going, he’s either going to dominate for the next 15 seasons or will get arm troubles and turn into a middle relief guy who used to be good. mariano rivera has the same stuffs since he came in, dont tell me the cutter isnt quite as good right now because of a season with more problems, the cutter has been great since the first day. it’s just as good as it was 10 years earlier, that’s how good rivera is. dennis eckersley’s stuff faded with years, trevor hoffman’s stuff changed over the years, gossage and finger stuffs faded later in their career while rivera is still considered top closer and everybody would rather get him than their current closer but maybe the redsox.

hard not to say Paps, but i’ll go K-Rod

closer is a wild position though, once you start getting hit you’re kinda screwed

I think if Nathan played in a different market he’d be getting more respect on this topic, he’s one of the most consistent closers today, and is dominating.

Nobody until myself had voted for JJ Putz. The guy doesn’t have playoff experience, but tough to fault a closer for a whole team effort.

If you look at sheer numbers, Putz’s numbers are out of this world. Certainly the most underrated closer.

I’ll agree with that Hammer, no one really knew who he was during the season, let alone at the time of the All-Star Break

[quote=“Hammer”]Nobody until myself had voted for JJ Putz. The guy doesn’t have playoff experience, but tough to fault a closer for a whole team effort.

If you look at sheer numbers, Putz’s numbers are out of this world. Certainly the most underrated closer.[/quote]

yea his numbers were even slightly better than Paps, but the only reason I gave Jonathan the edge is because what hes shown in the postseason. Half the reason people say Mo is the best is because hes so great in the postseason, I would say that playoffs are a big part of a closers resume.

who’s to say putz couldn’t get it done in the playoffs??

he’s durable with incredible stuff… not to mention he’s young like papelbon. these two are going to be the best for awhile.

I don’t think he’s saying he can’t get it done in the postseason, because we really don’t know if he can or not, since he has no experience in the post season. When he gets his chance he’ll do great.

Remember though when Brad Lidge was rocketing up the charts people said the same thing, then Pujols hit that bomb that still hasn’t landed in the NLCS.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]I don’t think he’s saying he can’t get it done in the postseason, because we really don’t know if he can or not, since he has no experience in the post season. When he gets his chance he’ll do great.

Remember though when Brad Lidge was rocketing up the charts people said the same thing, then Pujols hit that bomb that still hasn’t landed in the NLCS.[/quote]

I think it’s passing Jupiter now.

:lol: More then likely

I just don’t understand how that one homer completely turned his entire career around like it did…