Best Change-ups

I am compiling a list of pitchers with the best change-ups. Mainly in the 2000’s but some 90’s. So far I have:

Tim Lincecum
Johan Santana
Trevor Hoffman
Pedro Martinez
Roy Halladay
Justin Verlander
Eric Gagne

Any Others?

Cole Hamels

Tom Glavine

CC Sabathia

Anybody noticing a trend here? The pitchers being mentioned (other than Hamels) have been some of the most dominating pitchers in recent history and in this most recent era. Great changeup > Any other off-speed

joe blantons is excellent

Babe Ruth—who knew a thing or two about changeups—once said that a good one will cause batters more grief than just about anything else. He had, as we all know, been a topflight pitcher before becoming an outfielder.
Ed Lopat once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few such for me. I picked up on that, and so I had a whole shelf full of changeups to pick and choose from in addition to old Filthy McNasty and a very good knuckle-curve (McNasty was a slider which I had nicknamed for a character in a W.C. Fields movie). The key to a good change is the grip—you have to throw it the way you do a fast ball, with the same arm motion and the same arm speed, if you don’t want to telegraph your pitches.
And if you’re making a list of contemporary pitchers with good changeups, don’t forget the White Sox’ Mark Buehrle! :slight_smile:

Greg Maddux

Most of the Atlanta Braves bullpen in the early nineties when Leo Mazzone was running the show.
Neagle, Smotltz, Glavine and Maddux especially